2104 BMW RTW - won't start in gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hefy_jefy, Oct 1, 2018.

1. hefy_jefy

hefy_jefy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had to go back to the manual to confirm that this should work. I was sure that up until recently I could start the bike in gear if the clutch was disengaged. Now the bike will only start if neutral is selected? I have verified that both clutch switches are working (GS-911) - any ideas?
    Geoff
  2. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Not sure how it works on your bike and if it can be tested but I did have some problems with my gear indicator potentiometer switch on the K1200RS.

Pull the connector and inspect it,may be some corrosion or bad contacts?

And check the sidestand switch/connector at the same time.In a preventive way I do that every couple years and did the same on my buddy's 05 GS last year.
  3. hefy_jefy

Oddometer:
    Yes indeed - it looks like its an intermittent clutch switch. I was sure that it checked out OK about two weeks ago when I did the last service, I took the switch off last night and tested it and it was not working. So I put it back and made ready for a warranty claim with the dealer (I have the extended warranty). But of course after putting everything back together its working fine so I will have to wait until it fails again. My slight worry is not that this switch could cause a problem - its just inconvenient, but if the OTHER microswitch (it cancels the cruise control) that's part of the same assembly and must have had exactly the same number of operations were to fail - that could be a problem because disengaging the clutch would not cancel the cruise control...
    I may just buy a switch ($75!!!) and fit it myself.
    Geoff
  4. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Touchy switches....had to fix mine on the old K.And that was the cruise side malfunctioning.If like my bike I just couldn't put it on cruise so no big deal.

You may have permanently fixed it? The one on my then new R100GS wasn't functioning and I found out as soon as I left the dealer.Went back in and they gave me a story as to probably a "new safety feature".Yeah right.....stall on an incline and I'd have to find neutral before I could restart my bike?

Rode home,fixed it and 17 yrs later was still functioning.
  5. hefy_jefy

Oddometer:
    So the cruise control switch disconnect switch Img_6328.jpg has also become intermittent, took it off and soaked the whole switch in switch cleaner (fingers crossed the whole thing didn't melt). And now, again everything is working. I have decided to get a new switch but I notice that the new part number is different from the one on the switch. (see pic) The new part is 09 3272 8 537 609 - I wonder if this is an improved version? Will it fit?
  6. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never found a number on a BMW part that matches the actual part number. The molded-in numbers seem to be for the benefit of the supplier.

The "09" at the beginning of "09 3272 8 537 609" indicates item #9 in the parts diagram - the actual part number is 3272 8 537 609.

Realoem.com provides one of several ways to browse BMW parts. If you use it to find your part number, the part number provides a link to other models that use the same part, and provides some history when a part is superceded. In this case:
    Part Cross-reference
    Select another vehicle > Back to Diagrams
    Sponsored links

Set of dual microswitches

04/12/2013
    To:
    -
    Weight:
    0.035 kg
    Price:

Supersedes:
    (06/01/2012 — 04/15/2013)
    Part 32728537609 was found on the following vehicles:

So, although 32728537609 replaced 61318529362, it apparently did so before your 2014 was built.
  7. hefy_jefy

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks this is really useful, my 2014 was one of the earlier ones that got delayed due to the suspension problem, so likely it was partially assembled before the update, I wonder if the updated switch is better?
    Geoff
  8. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    The new number might just be a change in supplier. Many problems with the clutch switch have been solved by the type of cleaning that you have already done. I'd wait and see if your problems return before purchasing a new one.
  9. hefy_jefy

Oddometer:
    Yeah right, its working just fine right now and cleaning it takes about 5 mins so I am hanging in there ($75 for a couple of Honeywell microswitches!)
  10. rfranzel

rfranzel n00b

Oddometer:
    Great info. The switch on my 2014 R1200RT seems to be bad as well as I can't start the bike in gear with the side stand up. I thought I'd try cleaning it as you did before buying a replacement. What did you use? (I just bought some CRC QD.)

More important question: I don't want to wreck the head of the screw trying to remove it. Is it torx or allen, and do you recall what size it is? Thanks much!