MORE PICS AND VIDEO http://www.francescoinviaggio.it/REPORT%20SICILIA%202008/nuova_pagina_1114.htm At about 30 km from Palermo, above the towns of San Cipirello and San Giuseppe Jato, rises majestic Monte Jato (m.852 above sea level) which dominates the valley of the River Jato, and eastward, the right arm of the river Belice . Starting from San Giuseppe Jato and along a path away three kilometers from the country comes on top of the hill where the remains of the citadel of Jetas in the territory of San Giuseppe Jato and San Cipirello. The site monitors on the one hand the point of Portella della Paglia, through which he was assured access to the Conca d'Oro and the link with the ancient Punic emporium of Panormos, on the other the valley of Belice, through which it was possible the liaison with the south coast of the island and the Greek colony of Selinunte. This is an ancient citadel elima characterized by the presence of solid walls greek-roman, with stones strictly cut and arranged, and precarious walls of the Middle Ages. The site is part of a system of settlements on offshore assets from Greek and Roman until the Middle Ages. A mission of excavations led by Professor Peter Isler, University of Zurich in 1971, has contributed vitally to bring to light the ancient San Giuseppe Jato, with San Cipirello be a single country, being built in San Cipirello after 1800 the destruction of San Giuseppe Jato. Jetas was cited by historians of the calibre of Thucydides, Diodorus Siculus, Pliny and Cicero. Park Archelogico includes a vast area of about 200 hectares, including over the area since ancient (about 40 hectares) area of the necropolis, and the hill below the walled city, home to a place fortified old Swabian, the charming terrace on which stands the small church dedicated to the Saints Cosmas and Damian, but also the walls that surround the mountain and more gentle slopes below used as grazing and cultivated with vineyards and orchards. In archaeological were found several structures belonging to various historical eras among them remember the Agora dating back to 300 BC, characterized, on the west side, from a porch with double row of columns and the Bouleuterion or 'Hall of the Council', which makes a semicircular plant. The Theatre, dating from the third century BC, has 35 well-tiers representing the seats for spectators and has a capacity of 4,400 people. Here were found four statues depicting menadi and satyrs, now kept at the antiquarium San Cipirrello. The House peristyle, a large residence (1600 square meters) built on two floors around a courtyard surrounded by columns. The ground floor houses 23 rooms, courtyards and two tanks collection of rainwater. But there, Jetas, other large homes, as evidenced by excavations to the west and north east of the house in peristyle. In one of the rooms of representation is still visible a beautiful floor made of opus signinum (type of masonry obtained with crushed stones and costipate in lime), where an inscription dedicated highlight the guest who left the house. There are also bathroom and the room behind where the chimney was prepared for heating water. Near the bathroom is located a courtyard service where there was a furnace for the preparation of bread. Adjacent to the house stands the Temple of Aphrodite, consists of a rear compartment, the cell and the pronaos separated by two columns. Built around 550 BC second architectural fees greek Hellenistic building is the oldest public. The facade was set off by large stone blocks at the corners outside. The external walls, especially the north and west sides, are well preserved, while on the downstream side have only the foundations. Further south are vast environments, always invoice Greek, craft shops and barns where were also found remains of ceramic decoration birds of Cassibile Style (1000-800 BC), and a local pottery decoration engraved or etched the Style of Sant'Angelo Muxaro-Polizzello or painted geometric decoration. In the Middle Ages the building suffered considerable damage because it ricavarono stones for new buildings. In dell'agorà were later identified the remains of other buildings sacred and domestic dating from the late archaic than classical. The archaeological path may end with a visit to the Museum Jatino, which holds the 'caryatids', statues of satyrs and menadi levied by the facade of the theatre greek and other artefacts of the period elimo, greek and Roman. Pills of History The first human settlement on Monte Jato was built around the millennium BC Around the sixth century. BC, came instead, the first contacts with the world colonial greek and the Temple of Aphrodite, the first public building in the area, dates back at that period. In the fourth century. BC, as part of an economic upturn and urbanism, the city of Iatas was rebuilt and equipped with new buildings: the theatre, the agora, the private house to peristyle. Starting from the fourth century BC Jetas, as well as the entire western Sicily, was under the domination of Cartaginese. The story of Diodorus Siculus we know it, between 278 and 275 BC, was assalita by Pirro, King dell'Epiro, and that during the first Punic War (264-241 BC) Ietini, hunted the Carthaginians, delivered Romans and resumed possession of Mt. On the one hand the Naturalis Historia of Pliny the Elder and through the works of Silio Italico is well known that in 79 AD Jetas (Latin name) became one of 45 tax Sicilian city of Rome and the first imperial age was one of the 50 most important urban settlements on the island. For the Romans followed the Byzantine until the Arab conquest of 827. The sources and documents old Norman attest that the Muslim presence in Giato (name of the Arab-Norman) was very strong. In 1190 the city had become Entella together with the symbol and stronghold of the uprising of Muslims in the Val di Mazara which is opposed to Federico II. In 1246, put down a revolt in religious, the city was finally razed to the ground by the troops of Richard of Caserta and the inhabitants were deported to Lucera di Puglia. Since then the site was abandoned. In 1779, Prince Beccadelli Bologna founded the center of St. Joseph of Mortilli, the current San Giuseppe Jato, around a house and a church of the Jesuits.