2200 miles on a KX500? Yes, Crazy Al is really crazy...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by oemblaster, Sep 12, 2018.

1. oemblaster

oemblaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cant wait to hear a ride report? I take it all is good?
  3. oemblaster

oemblaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL... Some good, some bad but I'll let Alex fill you in...
  4. dino702

dino702 OFF2BFE

Oddometer:
    I'm late to the party but, Idaho to Death Valley's Titus Canyon? Can't wait to hear what happened in the middle!
    eaglescan likes this.
  5. QDogg

QDogg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scarborough, QLD, Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
  6. snail01

snail01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WoW. Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. trek686

trek686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :dirtdog I hate when interesting ride reports don't get finished.
    QDogg, Oldschoolrocker and woodzrider like this.
  8. triumph406

triumph406 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LMAO, Keith from ADB took the cylinder off his Rotax 406 after 11 years of riding, measured piston/bores/rings, everything was still in spec, put it back together, and that's an air cooled 2T. Your knowledge is just a little out of date.
    woodzrider likes this.
  9. oemblaster

oemblaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, Crazy Al is on his way back...
    He will fill you in on all the gory details :lol3
    eaglescan and BLucare like this.
  10. Kona11

Kona11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking forward to this one. What happened ??????????
  11. oemblaster

oemblaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's all on you Alex :lol3
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Got all hyped up for nun is what happened. I even posted a thread in PNWET section letting people know they’d be blasting thru Idaho. Sad
  13. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Well shit. Now that party’s over heres a couple from my past. Turned 40 in 2004 andbought one. 40 +1 for every year I rode it after. Looked stupid with no numbers. Only used it in the Oregon dunes racing quads. Made me feel 18 again cleaning their clocks! HEAVEN!!! Ok I feel better now EEE07123-407B-4A48-9C7C-CCFD4355253D.jpeg 42CAD0CC-F214-4501-A4FA-6CCCB446DBE1.jpeg
    Ginger Beard and Vincenthdfan like this.
  14. CrazyAl500

CrazyAl500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I have given you guys any updates. I have playing catch up after being gone for a month. So we ended up having to break it up into sections due to time restraints and weather. We were also trying to get a Lectern to tune out on Jason's bike that would not tune right no matter what we did. We ended up putting the stock carb on and that helped a lot. I deviated from the premix I always run and a ratio I have never run so we would not have to pack as much Pre-mix. The ratio we had mixed up can highly recommended by many other riders. All I can say is that is they think their bikes run good at that ratio they must not know what a good running bike is. After we switched that up, things were looking better and both bikes ran dramatically better. Here is the trip broken down:

Sept 22- Depart Florida at 3pm for Idaho with my Bike minus radiators that had not shown up yet with Jason's engine ready to drop in.
    Sept 24- Ft Collins Colorado, Found lower radiator hose on Jeep leaking, replaced in auto parts parking lot.
    Sept 25- Wee hours of the morning roll into my folks house in Payette, ID
    Sept 26- Depart Payette for Helena,MT arrive late that evening
    Sept 27-30- Receive my radiators, finish assembling my bike, break in my engine. Finish assembling Jason's bike and build dual sport wiring harness, break in engine. Get Lectern to run well enough it seemed to get on the road to start the ride from the Montana/Canadian Border. Get final gear prep done.
    Oct 1- Load up and run for the border to get dropped off by Steve, Jason's Dad. Arrive and unload, gear up and roll out. Immediately discover Jason's bike is going to have issues. The carb throttle is sticking and later come to find out it may have an old slide in a new style carb body. But we fought it the rest of the day. Made it 50 miles from Canada and found a camp spot at 10pm set up camp and got some sleep. Saw 2 bears that afternoon in the area so sleeping in a human burrito was a little disconcerting.
    Oct 2- get up, eat, monkey with Lectron carb that was suppose to be good to go out of the box. It would not start very well and after 30 kicks made another adjustment and could get it to run but was not instilling a lot of confidence. After a few hours of tuning in 37 degrees and rain weather to no real avail, we decided that even if we got it running well enough the weather that rolled into the area would have been problematic for us and we would have not been in the best of shape if we chose to give our route a shot. So, we decided to hit the reset button and get Steve to come and get us and just take us back to Helena to try and sort Jason's bike out and get on the road since the clock was ticking and we needed to be in Vegas for the AIM Expo by the 10th. Arrived back in Helena late that day.
    Oct 3- Spent the day throwing all the tricks at Jason's bike trying to get it to run right. It got better but wasn't perfect, but livable. Decided with the weather being mid 30's with rain and snow and the clock ticking and one bike that was making us question everything, we decided to put the bikes in the truck and run to my folks place in Payette and go from there, The weather was looking better from that point.
    Oct 4- I woke up at 0345 hrs with a terrible shooting pain in my lower right abdomen, went to hospital. Had a 2.7mm kidney stone working its way out. got back to the house around 7am and started loading up to head to Payette. 1030ish hrs must have passed kidney stone because the pain stopped and everything went back to normal. Arrived in Payette that afternoon.
    Oct 5- After messing around with Jason's bike all day and shotgun troubleshooting the crap out of it, had a suggestion from a friend I should have called the first day. He asked if I sealed the headpipe with hi temp silicon? I used new rings and springs and it did not leak at an idle so i figured it was good. It was not, sealed it and ran night an day better. Confidence was up but we were still a little leery so we looked at the planned route and decided to break it into sections and just try to enjoy what time we had left. My Dad would run chase a drop us off and meet us over a few mountain ranges. Carry our "extra stuff" and have a better place to sleep than the ground.
    Oct 6- Loaded up and drove an hour out to the first section to ride. Reynolds creek to Jordan Valley. Start at 2,300ft and go almost as high as 7,000ft. Ride was good to put in real miles and had dry, wet, muddy, foggy, windy, dry again and some pavement on the ride. Rolling into Jordan valley felt like a great success after a bunch of obstacles. Ended up with about 60 miles logged. Loaded up and headed for the next section to ride for the next day.
    Oct 7- Rode Shoshone OHV riding area in Nevada. Broke a kick starter near the end of the ride, but was a fun ride, only logged 20 miles but was mostly single track and was a good suspension shake down.
    Oct 8- Installed throw down kicker and drove to Rhyolite, Nevada. Rode out and through Titus Canyon and back to Rhyolite, logged about 70 miles. Loaded up and drove south of Beatty, NV to explore out there. Went for an evening ride, about 25 miles out through some roads and trails in the desert.
    Oct 9- Did some more tuning and geared up for a nice ride. Jason broke the throw down kicker so my new kicker became the community kicker. I would slide it on his bike, he would start it up, i would slide it off and put its on mine, start it up, slide it off and put it in my pocket and away we would go. Ripped up about 40 miles of desert and then loaded up and headed to Pahrump, NV. Found a riding area to explore and pounded out 30 miles. Stayed the night with a good view of the valley.
    Oct 10- Drove the rest of the way to Las Vegas, cleaned up and got ready for the AIM Expo. Made a rip down the Vegas strip on our street legal KX500's
    Oct 11-12 AIM Expo
    Oct 13- Drove back to Payette, ID
    Oct 14-18 helped my folks around the house
    Oct 19-23 drove back to Florida with a 2 day delay in Kansas City, MO due to an injector pump on the old Dodge.

So, as a first attempt at a trip this size on a bike never designed to do anything close to it. Building 2 bikes from scratch with a tight budget left plenty of room for improvement. Different luggage and might plan to not camp to minimize gear. Several things on my bike I did to see how it would shake out on that kind of ride. Never being satisfied the wheels are already turning on what to do next year. Might to a run from Florida to Pennsylvania this spring......give me a few months to get things ready
  15. CrazyAl500

CrazyAl500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A few pics

Attached Files:

16. CrazyAl500

CrazyAl500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Few more

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard likes this.
  17. CrazyAl500

CrazyAl500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More

Attached Files:

18. CrazyAl500

CrazyAl500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More

Attached Files:

19. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Wow!! Well you had great thoughts when you came up with this ride. I still think it could be done. Maybe give it another whirl once bikes are fully tested. I have faith as do alot of others here. Good luck and dont give up! Will keep an eye out next year and it would be cool if people could meet you along the route to say “Hi” . Slow it down! (Not on the bikes) cheers!
  20. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing the successes and failures of this trip with us. Sometimes no matter how much you bust your ass, something just wasn't meant to be. But as you are hinting, please try again on another trip. Would very much like to see how these do once sorted.