$2200

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Irons593, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Irons593

Irons593 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is how much it will cost to get my new to me F800GS back up and running. Brand new to the site, sport, and BMW. Long time HD guy wanting to grow into some adv riding. So I bought a pretty sweet 2012 fully farkled bike and started riding to work and around town to get comfy with it. Brought it to work the other day, was just covering for a guy for a couple hours. Another guy I work with had his wife stop by for something and she backed into the beemer and knocked it down on her way out.

$2200 in damage from tipping over off of the side stand. Not sure if I should be more mad at this guy's old lady or the fact that an "off road" bike was so damaged from tipping over.

Oh well.....
    Anybody else have similar??
  2. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take the insurance settlement and repair it yerself' for a BUNCH of savings $$$$ :lol3
  3. csshih

csshih perpetually confused

Oddometer:
    what on earth broke? I've downright crashed my 650gs without that much damage.
  4. IckyBob

IckyBob BroManiac

Oddometer:
    Doesn't sound like a simple tip over. Sounds like she ran it over as you have said. I have wiped out on mine off road at 50kmh, dropped in in parking lots, rocks, mud holes and logs and never broke anything. I have HDB guards, adventure spec bars and MOD skid plate.
  5. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, welcome. It happened to me. She was willing to pay any damages to the bike. The rear vario luggage mount was gauged, and the back panel has a chip. But that was the extent of it.

If the driver wants to fix it fine, $2,200, is a lot of money, is that what the insurance company will pay out?

This is easier said, bikes can be expensive, so don't let this experience get your spirits down.

And, let me say it again, welcome. We're glad to have you with us. Keep us posted, and enjoy the site.
  6. Irons593

Irons593 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

I wish I could fix it on my own....I'm not that guy. Oil, batteries, tires that's about it for me. Bent handle bars, scratches to fairing and plastic around gas cap, new turn signal, new hand guard, new throttle lock, new foot pegs. Just glad it was a riderless event. Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.
  7. SCPancho

SCPancho Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Most of us wouldn't change scratched panels that are several hundred dollars each, but if she is paying? Foot pegs scratched or bent?

Believe me, this sucks. I would be unhappy too.

Wonder what she would want if you ran into her car?
  8. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen write offs by insurance companies for side stand fall overs !:eek1
    Most of us just put a lot of guarding on and treat it like a dirt bike.
    Scratches are war wounds and great for conversation with posers at Starbucks!
    Welcome to the ASYLUM! :D
  9. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bent beyond functioning or broken gets replaced. Scratches and dents are character. If you ride off the pavement, you'll get as much or more eventually anyway.
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I advise just be honest with her. Hand her the estimate and let her decide to pay or make an insurance claim. She is insured right?

If I even sneezed on anyone's bike I'd quickly pay, and expect the same from others.
  11. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    Welcome. Here you'll find lots of opinion and attitude. Some good, some not so much. Some with knowledge, and many others who... well let's just say we don't all know what we don't know (me included).
    So buckle up, and here's my opinion.
    My guess is that the assessment for replacement parts, and cost, was done by the dealer / MC shop. You see, they look at this as an opportunity to go shopping on someone else's dime. No fault to them, it's how they pay the bills, and in the end that's what owning a business is all about. Besides they want to set things right and get you back to where you were before the "incident."
    If you're not "that guy" then just let them take care of you. You work with the husband of the gall who tipped your bike over. No need to risk turning that scenario sour by taking cash and then not spending it on the bike. He'll quickly develop a hate on for you, and no one needs that.
    My only word of caution, and this comes from experience, is get them to commit to how long the parts will take to come in. You're just at the beginning of the summer and nothing could be worse than missing a summer of riding while the dealer casually waits for one missing part. See if you can swing a loaner while they do the work, or some thing similar. That was my mistake and I lost the end of last season.
    Oh, and ask for the parts back. If there not too badly damaged, you could always keep them as spares for the next "incident" which may turn out to be your own fault.
  12. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My son dropped his cruiser, basic damage, amazingly didn't damage any of the chrome, just blinkers, grips, dented tank, dinged mudguard....minor, cosmetic shit.

Insurance company took a look....$6K. I priced all the parts I needed off eBay at about $1000, plus paint.

Genuine new parts are ridiculously priced. Plus labour.

A friend hit a roo and bent the frame on his KTM 1190R. New frame $6000. Labour....3 full days. They wrote it off.

I had a minor drop on my DR and the frame caught a pointy rock, tore the frame rail and holed the case. Ripped the brake lever clean off. I hit the ground and slid for about 3m. I bounced straight back to my feet.

Sometimes, shit just happens. You can drop a bike a dozen times at walking pace in the bush and not damage it. Sure as shit, the one time you really don't need it, it'll land on a pointy rock and lose all it's oil in the middle of nowhere.

I've done that twice. It's just part of the joy of riding.
  13. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    That ain't so bad. Mine was parked in the garage and I ended up spending $3 grand for a fix. Sitting safe and sound with a cover on it and without warning, it got all farkled up. Seems my most expensive repairs are when the bike is just sitting. ....... I need to get out and ride more.
  14. Irons593

Irons593 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replys. Great advice Capt E! Love the term "hate on" gonna have to steal that. Thankfully the husband is a good guy and has been very easy to work with once he realized how expensive this was going to be he got the claim going with insurance. Couldn't agree more with you guys about the character aspect of a few dings and scratches. I have to get out of the chrome and shine HD mind set. Can't wait to get it out on the trails and add some character of my own doing.

Stay safe
  15. cadaVre

cadaVre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    But you should get used to the prices... you bought a BMW...

My BMW Twin's last issue was a broken sidestand-switch. That little switch with 30cm of copper on it cost around 100$. :huh
  16. ChildlikeWonder

ChildlikeWonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the 800 you'll need crash bars, but with bent handlebars she got it good. I am going to disagree with everybody about not bothering about the scratches. It didn't have them before and it does now, and quite frankly off road drops won't scratch it up much the way pavement will.
  17. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a moron put his car into Drive to back up, hits the gas and hits my bike. I had AdvSpec crash guards on it and the total damage was minimal. I had the crash guards powder coated and replaced the scratched hand guards.

The person that hit you should pay for the damages, then buy yourself some good crash guards.

Bikes involved in accidents are either written off or have minor damage.. not much in between.
  18. 2Stamp

2Stamp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW= Bring More Wallet. :D Welcome aboard! It's a great bike.
  19. ChildlikeWonder

ChildlikeWonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's often not worth the shipping, but if someone ever needs an expensive part they can just get it for about half the price by buying it from a dealer in Germany and shipping it over. BMW only = Bring More Wallet if it's a motorcycle in the US market (most US market BMW car dealers rip you off on parts too, but there are enough BMW car dealers with good prices and online stores that it doesn't matter).
  20. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not unique to your market.

My son worked in a KTM dealer in Australia. People bitched about parts prices, he'd just spin the screen around and show them the margins they had, then jump onto US KTM parts sites, show them the US cost, look at postage, do the dollar exchange conversion....heaps cheaper. He said it had the opposite effect to what you'd think. People would just buy the part and stop whining about the prices. Once they understood it was KTMs market pricing, and not the dealership gouging them.

When we had parity with the dollar, there was about 30% price difference between a new BMW bike in the US and a new bike here. Motorcycles here are considered a luxury item. If you're a poor ass, you buy a car. If you're rich, you buy a bike as your toy. The thought of poor people only riding a bike because that's all they can afford is apparently not considered logical. You'd get wet and cold.

It's BMWs market pricing. They charge what the market will pay.