24k Topos - Help Needed

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by r'elise me, Apr 18, 2018.

1. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be great to have routable maps for as many areas as Garmin has, especially West and SW USA where I'll be riding a lot for the next couple years before I depart on a rtw trip. Some questions:

1. Is there a worldwide subscription service that enables access to all of Garmin's maps?

2. If I'm stuck having to purchase every 24k map that I need, is there a way to see and use the maps on all my devices without having to purchase one for each?

3. When you purchase a map on a microSD card, can you use that map in whatever device that the card is in or only the one device that has been registered?

4. Will I be able to view that 24k map on my laptop in basecamp as well as my devices?

THanks for the help!
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    AFAICT you have to buy each map separately.

microSD is, I think, the only way to do this.

Maps on microSD are never registered to a device. I use City Navigator and 24k topos on different Garmin devices at different times.

This I can't answer. A Basecamp user will be along shortly.
    clawdog60 likes this.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have my 24k Topo maps loaded into Basecamp on my PCs. But I started out with DVD versions.

I imagine the uSD version will work the same as any other uSD map once you figure out how to get all that working.
  4. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, yes, yes yes.
  5. r'elise me

r'elise me Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help. Conclusion: we’re still in the dark ages with garmin. The hardware and GUIs absolutely suck compared to anything on a smartphone. There should be a worldwide map subscription at the very least (as well as proper worldwide maps). Come on Google! Disrupt!
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

have you tried open street maps?
  7. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, Garmin licenses their routable map data from HERE: and it isn't cheep. The 24K US Topo's are a combination of very old USGS data and HERE routing data.

Second, Google isn't going to be the one to "disrupt" - they are only interested in monetizing your location and personal information. As @ohgood noted, OSM is disrupting (over 2 million mappers) and your best bet as maps compiled for using on Garmin devices are free. Most of the good smartphone Nav Apps charge a small fee for access to and regularly updating worldwide OSM maps.