25,000 miles with Luke and Nick

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fishfund, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Mr. Baraldi

Mr. Baraldi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :freaky:clap:freaky:clap:freaky:clap:freaky:clap
    GREAT!!!!
    you don't know but now you are two of my best friend!!!

great report great picture great trip ideas great bikes...

thank you for writing!
  2. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:
    GREAT trip/report guys!!!! :clap
  3. zipper2680

zipper2680 couch traveller

Oddometer:
    After several weeks ive finished reading your ride report...or should i call it a adventure of a lifetime?

Anyway, congrats and if any of you ever take a loop over Portugal, just PM...have a extra room, a garage full of tools and good food for you...

Cheers

Carlos
  4. men8ifr

men8ifr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great just read it all you two are far more tolerant than me about the bike issues i'd have been going nuts at loosing so much time and i'd hate the feeling not knowing if my bike will make it the next 5km or 500.

I know all the car diagnostics easily pick up battery voltage out of range and battery voltage must be monitored for fuel injection (voltage to the coils affects how long you need to inject the fuel mass for) so in my mind it's a software/design issue that KTM did not have a diagnostic or code to say there is a problem with the battery voltage or maybe they did but it can't pick up the voltage spikes (which is another way of saying it doesn't work properly).

I too have a battery monitor for my bike and will be sure to add it ASAP - regulators go on every bike it seems it's just unfortunate that for the 690 the problem could not be diagnosed properly for so long and the FI is sensitive to it (or at least the FI diagnostics)

like some-one else said 9 long = regulator!
  5. jedd

jedd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's what it's all about! Great RR guys, I'm inspired.
    What a read!
  6. Sparky216

Sparky216 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the epic ride report....loved every minute of it! Thanks again!:clap:clap:clap
  7. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Solo con rambo

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I have followed it from the start and always spend the time to find it and read through it.

Thanks for writing and sharing! I know how much time it can take, I still have to finish a couple I am writing.
  8. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Nicely done Luke and Nick. Loved the RR.
  9. RC51LV

RC51LV THE RC51 RIDER

Oddometer:
    I spent the last 6 hrs on my friday off to read the entire RR.... You guys are great , your living the spinner life style ! :thumb
  10. JdFan

JdFan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Luke your writing style is damn addictive. Funny, my future son in law and family are salmon fishermen also, they fish out of Sand Point though. Be safe up there.
  11. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard

Oddometer:
    When you are looking at the problems list, remember that the KTM's repeated 9-long was actually a symptom of one problem. Frustrating as all hell, but still only one problem.

Great RR to both Nick and Luke. Glad to see this one finished. Luke, please let us know if you ever receive that email from KTM. Inquiring minds want to knowl.
  12. Rooks

Rooks Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Epic Adventure! Just stumbled upon this report a few days ago. Thanks so much for another incredible ride.
  13. wheelz

wheelz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely fantastic! I enjoyed every second of it, thanks a lot! :clap
  14. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Still waiting on that email that they said they would send. They said they would get back to me after the weekend. I guess they never mentioned what weekend though. :evil
  15. Flys Lo

Flys Lo cool hand fluke

Oddometer:
    If you have their contact details, send them a little nudge-nudge, wink-wink ;)
  16. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I wonder if KTM has an idea of how many people read this report? Can't be good for their sales. I know, if I was in the market for that kind of bike, the though of it went out the window. I'll just stick to my old tried and true KLR.

Super enjoyed the report guys. Hope the fishing season goes yur way.
  17. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard

Oddometer:
    I still have no qualms about buying a KTM, though I am not looking at a 690. I am thinking my next big bike will most likely be a 990ADV.
  18. Shibby!

Shibby! Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff guys.

Started with the Mexico ride, was saddened to see the unfinished report, but it lead to great things with this one!

Good to see you guys made it. I finally finished reading.

I can't think of how it feels to be finished, at least for Luke. Keep on riding Nick!

Hope there will be more in the future. Following a few others right now (Al & Tom [No Jobs, No Responsibilities...], and have to catch up with JamminJay now. Last I left Jay was just entering Egypt which should make a wicked transition from your report!

If all goes to plan, I hope to have a solo trip for a few months poking around central America shortly!
  19. jbmac

jbmac Mitten Man

Oddometer:
    Awesome to see fellow Michiganders out living the dream. A sincere THANK YOU for letting us come along with your RR. Well done!
  20. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    If they would of been about 20 years ago, I would of bought one in a heartbeat. My body vs tall bikes just don't cut it now. :lol3 Uh! Or my retirement pay scale. ;-(