25,000 miles with Luke and Nick

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Fishfund, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Skyclad

Skyclad Original Bastard

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I stand 6'3"...tall seats are not a problem. I tend to make bikes look small.

See what I mean?
    [​IMG]
  2. Fishfund

Fishfund Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We're back to reality now. I have finished up my 9th season of Salmon fishing in Alaska and Nick returned home safe and sound a few weeks ago. Our mothers can relax for a moment as we pulled off this trip unscathed. Nick hit the ground running hard, by picking up an Engineering job in the Detroit area of Michigan. It isn't designing motorcycles or farkles, but it's going to help pay the bills that were racked up on this trip. I'm training for a triathlon and looking for a place to live in the Lansing area.

Our bikes are still in Europe. We need to either sell them there or ship them back some how. Anyone want to a 690 or 800? Maybe I can get someone to store mine for a couple years and I can do the BAM when I get the bug again.

Here are a couple of my favorite pics I took this summer in Alaska.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hope you had a productive season! You've got some great pictures to remember it by; that's for sure.
  4. axlebear

axlebear Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap :clap :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :clap :clap :clap :clap

Best RR I've ever read. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences. Your positive attitudes in the midst of setbacks and adventurous spirit is inspiring.
  5. MtMopar

MtMopar Lets Ride!

Oddometer:
    Excellent RR, thanks for putting all the time into it!

I just finished a very small 1300 mile adventure ride through Idaho and have been trying to decide on my next adventure bike. I had it narrowed down between the Husky 610/630 or the KTM 690. I think I have decided to go with the Husky.
  6. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    We loved Alaska and would go back in a heart beat....maybe to fish?????:D
  7. Fishfund

Oddometer:
    WOW, thanks!! That's awesome. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I know I did!
  8. kitia

kitia WIM

Oddometer:
    Tampere, Finland sometimes in Kilimanjaro.
    About waiting being invited, you should have asked! People there are very generous but also very shy. I know that because I am a Tanzanian and come from those parts.
  9. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks luke and nick for taking us along to a magnificent adventure.

love to see your next trip.....you make the world looks small.
  10. ScottDill

ScottDill TANSTAAFL Supporter

Oddometer:
    This was a great RR guys and a hell of an adventure. :thumb

Something about Michiganers.....:hmmmmm
  11. Eagletalon

Eagletalon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was a great RR! Enjoyed how you guys stayed positive through all the hard times you guys had.
  12. Fishfund

Oddometer:

haha :evil
  13. ticker64

ticker64 justlookin'

Oddometer:
    Great report lads, very amusing and yet with a sympathetic eye. I know from personal experience, that any form of overland travel in poorer countries can be very testing at times, but you both handle it better than most.
    That's the Basillica Cistern in the pics. My brothers wife is Turkish and she took us around there a few years ago. Apparently it was the water supply for the city in the Byzantium era, when latter day Istanbul was the capital of the Eastern Roman Empire.
  14. philsb

philsb Gentleman of Leisure

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the ride report, it's been a rollercoaster following your adventures. I know that I wouldn't have coped with your mechanical problems with your fortitude. Well done to you both.

Phil:freaky
  15. XxdrpxX

XxdrpxX Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys for a great RR, I read this through in it's entirety. A wonderful journey, and I am truely envious of what you were able to accomplish. Thank you for taking me along. Go team orange! I still love my 690.
  16. TobyG

TobyG STRP - Sloth Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    What a blast.
    Started reading like 10 days ago and always had to stop myself from reading till the next morning :p

I myself dont even have a bike, yet, although I might mention that I just got my license in August '11 :)
    You really convinced me that I have to do this one day....now it's time to find a used F650GS Dakar in good condition so I can start my first trip this summer :D

I hope you keep looking at life the way you did on this trip and I wish you the best for the future - remember somtimes the worst is the best, as we learned in this RR :evil
  17. leelikesbikes

leelikesbikes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    glad to see this one bumped back to the first page on RR's i was just talking to my wife as i was logging on and saying i wish someone would post a RR as awesome as luke and nicks, i got many hours of entertainment living vicariously through you guys! thanks again.:clap ps when are we gonna get another epic RR
  18. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Just skimmed - looks like an awesome report. Bookmarked to come back and read later.
  19. OmenF1

OmenF1 wannabe explorer

Oddometer:
    You guys live life to the fullest.
    I am, together with many, very jealous, allthough we all start and end with the same; nothing.
    And all we do in between is our own choice.

One day, I hope to live, if only for a while or small percentage, the life you live

Hope you are all well

Damien
  20. edd-nor

edd-nor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thank`s ,you got me out of winter depression.
    I live in Norway and there has been snow and dark for several months:cry
    looking forward to summer:D