$250.00 prize (F800GS Military Mode challenge)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by inbred, Apr 7, 2015.

1. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    Looking for a simple solution to an age old conundrum. Got a 2014 F800GS. Need to find a simple wiring solution for "Military Black Out Mode" on my new bike. There is a $250.00 prize for the inmate who can solve the riddle.

What I need is a simple way to disengage all lights on my 2014 F800GS. It needs to be able to be done on the fly. Let's leave aside why I desire such a feature. As I'm driving, I want the ability to press a button or activate a switch that will allow for full lights out operation. Yes, I still have to be able to fully operate the bike. Don't need no gauges or such. Just light's out operation. Anyone familiar with military vehicles will understand the concept. Sometimes one needs to travel at night without a single light visible, or operate off road during the day without lights. That means Headlights, Blinkers, tail lights, brake lights and even gauge lights ALL OUT. And this needs to happen quick, with the flick of a switch and ON THE FLY.

If you fashion a workable method method, please PM me. I will gladly forward a $250.00 check to you once I can confirm the effectiveness of your plan. Obviously, any modification cannot warrant a king's ransom. Maybe a modification that would cost no more than $125.00. And it can't harm the bike.

Very serious. I desire light's out Military mode, on the fly.

This may be a pipe dream or a drastically simple problem. But I need results.
  2. dvfisher

dvfisher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why don't you want us asking why you would want such a feature on your bike? The nature of your request and your reluctance to provide an explanation may lead people to think you want this feature for illegal purposes and thus they may be reluctant to assist you. Just a thought.
  3. inbred

Oddometer:
    Acceptable Point. The solution I seek will in no way be used for illegal purposes. Imagine the following scenario: I am in a particularly nasty cocktail joint in a remote part of Honduras. I am traveling with a cute American coed on the back of a 2014 F800GS. We are on a North-South Alaska/Chile trip and about 3/8ths through. Keep in mind there is a particularly large murder rate in this quirky corner of the world. Upon leaving the rowdy little pub, it is clear a couple bad customer's follow us out. The honey climbs on the back with her short mini and we head ten miles south to our camp site. In the rear view, I see two pairs of head lights tracking in the distance. I reach a series of intersections and I hit military mode. Lightless, I swerve left, swerve right, swerve left and left again. Then I throttle at full speed two miles until I hit the desolate riverbed where we will camp. A few quick corners and no lights come in behind. We are alone as Tone-loc comes up on my playlist. It is a wonderful night sleep and we awake early and head south.

This is the kind of scenario for which I envision.
  4. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    Seems fairly easy. Put a SPDT relay between 12v and each light (or lights that share the same +). Pin 30 comes from the 12v, pin 87a goes to the light(s). Pin 85 goes to ground. Pin 86 on all relays are connected to your single switch with power coming from 12v. Soon as you hit your main switch, the switch in all relays is thrown to pin 87, and power to the lights is cut. Not sure how many lights are on the F800, but probably 4 or 5 relays (headlights, tail lights, break light, front running lights) and a few hours in the garage.
  5. Cdlabate

Cdlabate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will a smoke screen be temporarily needed as well?
  6. arjones

arjones Roads and Waves

Oddometer:
    Maybe you will spend more enjoyable time reading some RR's about the route you want to travel on... and maybe you will realize you won't need this feature. Trust me, worst than take some pretty standards cautions when visiting any foreign country, is having a bug in your bike's electrical system. Lights are very important in these parts of the world.

And just out of curiosity: your "two pair of head lights" won't be able to see you, but you will be able to see your way as you "throttle at full speed two miles" until you reach your "desolate riverbed" where you are camping at? I would, first and foremost, avoid camping in a desolate riverbed if the area/country isn't that safe. But I digress.

Best of luck with your project. And trust me on this: if you find such a babe, odds are you won't get out of your desolate riverbed camping area...:evil
  7. Freakhead

Freakhead Living Proof

Oddometer:
    This sounds like something this great man would be involved in...

[​IMG]
  8. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    P.S. Extra quiet muffler and triple black kit?
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I have a suggestion that might help solve your problem: if you are afraid of traveling to some place, don't go there.
  10. MJGS

MJGS Enjoy Every Ride!!

Oddometer:
    Not your full answer but it will get you close.

Turning the Headlights OFF

The procedure is as follows:
    Turn the ignition on and allow the startup-check cycle to complete. The headlights will be off (this is normal).
    Hold turn-signal cancel switch for 4-5 secs.
    Hold right turn-signal switch for 4-5 secs.
    Start engine.
    Lights should remain OFF.

I have done this many of times and it works on a F800GSA. I think once they are off if you need to turn them on you can hit the highbeam.

Best of luck to you. This will work in a pinch with out messing with the onboard cann-bus :D
  11. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Many years ago when I was delinquent, we used to do this for a game of "Cop Tag", bikes were much simpler.

Don't forget your reflective license plate.:D (and anything else reflective)
  12. marvology

marvology Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just combat roll off the bike and open up on 'em with your dual Desert Eagles. Rookies...
  13. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    A real man has no such need as "military mode." Tonight, Chuck Norris cries for you.
  14. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    I see you've met the Peanut Gallery. :D

Been thinking about this since you posted it. You'd want to keep it simple so as not to find yourself stranded, without lights and all.

The ZFE controls most frame functions (lights etc). The Kombi is the gauge cluster. I would cut the switched power to these units. I don't have my diagrams to tell you which wire on the ZFE, but it'd be red with a stripe most likely. These units have a supplied ground wire which are brown, maybe putting an inline switch to break ground instead.

No guarantees you won't fry something.

It's only a big bad world if you look for trouble. If you want to hang out in bars at night and drink, get a nearby hotel or take a taxi. I survived Honduras and hanging out in San Salvador....but I was parked and secured by dark.
  15. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nose beer.

Oh the humanity.
  16. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...........A fucking big truck that doesn't see you!

"This is the kind of scenario for which I envision" :fpalm
  17. inbred

Oddometer:
    I first encountered "military black out mode" when I bought an Chevy Ex-military pick up as a high school kid. It was a simple toggle switch that disabled all lights. I always found it so cool to have this function and used it countless times. Usually to four wheel into places I did not want to be noticed or get my truck off the farm when my old man was expecting me to be doing homework. Since then, I have figured a way to fashion this feature into most of the bikes I own. It has been one of my most beloved features to have on a bike. I use it several times each riding season. The option provides a possible safety measure, promotes the ability to engage in stealth camping, and allows for riding off road in daylight hours without any running lights. No one can successfully challenge the validity of this statement.

If you don’t think it would add utility to your particular riding experience, then you are free to disregard the notion. No problem tossing funny comments my way as I never take such things personal. I’d wager this, however: If there was a simple solution, one that did not effect the proper functioning of the f800GS, that was simple and cheap to install, say something in the way of the Burnsmoto ABS Master Switch Connector, a lot of f800 owners would be interested.

MJGS-thanks for the info. I’m not sure this, however, nixes the tail/brake lights and it can’t be done on the fly, I presume. But still nice as an option.

Justin P-Thanks for the ideas. I will look into this as a solution.

Reaver- Thanks for the your input. This is also something I will explore.

Keep in mind, the prize offer is extended to someone who does the leg work and provides a workable solution which won’t cause damage to the bike. I was able to learn of a way a way to do this on my DRZ400 fairly easily. But the sophistication of the electronics on the f800 is substantially more complex. At least that’s what my limited experience with motorcycle electronics tells me.

No matter what, I really appreciate the ideas cast forth.
  18. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    I'm not in it for the money, I just like a challenge. If I was at home I'd do the legwork on the wreck repair I have.

There would be no harm in disconnecting the ZFE (in between the battery and ign switch) with the battery disconnected, then reconnect batt and see what functions. I remove the gauges all the time with key off, battery connected so no issues there.

The safe way is the hardest, relay all the lights. In any case, wires will be cut and spliced.
  19. JustinP

JustinP Bike Curious

Oddometer:
    3 beer job at the most :freaky :lol3
  20. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Clearly you're not Canadian! :freaky

3 beer just gets the show started.

Only once did I cut the cable strap AND the wires. :fpalm