$250.00 prize (F800GS Military Mode challenge)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by inbred, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Drwnite

Drwnite Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only half witted comments are of you're own making! Why should I give a rats ass when you get taken out because you're hell bent on some harebrained scheme. Certainly for others, to which you are devoid of thought. Go hard and go alone, the queue for lunacy being removed form the gene pool is short!
  2. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    Let us know your progress Inbred.

I'd love to learn more about our bikes and their function. That's what the PU is for, sharing information.

I don't care why the chicken crossed the road, I just want to hear how it was done as I may want to cross it too.
  3. Motomochila

Motomochila Moto Scientist and time traveler

Oddometer:
    It seems to me that every lighting circuit would pass through a connector, even the panel. By separating each connector and inserting a male/female whip connected to an electronic switch, you could effectively eliminate all lighting on the fly. Key would be to determine the correct wire and resistance for each circuit and add an equal resistance through the kill circuit. The wires in each connector that need to stay open can be bypassed in the whip. I am using this method albeit not for blackout but to add additional lighting to the circuit and still maintain computer function on a KTM 690. The canbus is more sophisticated on the 800, but in theory would work. On the 690 computer, I am bypassing the ABS function after removing the mechanical hardware. I located the circuit and inserted a dead-end open circuit to keep the system working. I added a resistor to emulate the reading. The dash light no longer reads fault. No wires were cut. All changes through bypass whips, including directing power to single LED lamps in a 4-array Baja Designs Squadron XL system.

....but what do I know, I'm just a mad scientist.
  4. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil. Supporter

Oddometer:

OK. I have the solution. Get ready to fork over the $250. We are thinking about this all wrong. The CanBus is your friend in this situation. All you need to do is ground (I would do this through a resistor to current limit) every wire you want to switch off. The CanBus system will then shut every chosen wire off, until you kill the switch and turn the bike off and then on.

Standard disclaimers apply. If you or your motorcycle bursts into flames in your attempts to do this. I bear no responsibility. I might even be drunk. But, I will accept the $250. :evil

KR
  5. nevermind

nevermind way off track, in the weeds

Oddometer:
    No pics of the Co-Ed??? :ddog WTH is up with that???
  6. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    He should get a KTM, those bikes can do everything!
  7. marvology

marvology Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT signature OP!
  8. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    "He should get a KTM, those bikes can do everything!"....

This cat already owns a plated KTM 380. For the uninitiated, that's a two stroke. And it's long since been outfitted with Military Blackout Mode. Older bikes always seem to be easy to modify in this fashion.
    [​IMG]
  9. dvfisher

dvfisher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Inbred, I was just thinking that since you like the Military Blackout Mode so much, you might be interested in a Military Battle Override switch as well. A lot of the equipment we use in the military has a switch that disables all the safety shutdowns on the equipment. Being able to disable the low oil, high temp and rev limiter might be useful when you're trying to outrun the pirates, zombies or whatever the hell you're trying to escape from. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    Aw, come on, how come nobody has ever cracked the programming on the CANBUS? When are we going to see Mad Max meets Blade Runner?
    There's gotta be a programming geek with low morals out there somewhere that likes to go outside once in a while to ride a BIG dirt bike and likes this sort of thing. It all seems a bit too much "black box" to me. Just imagine how much Coke $250 would buy.
    Reaver, I'm with you, I like the tech of it all, but I gotta say that OP post about too many peeps on his profile is what makes it all that much more interesting.
    To quote Snowy, "forum foo is strong on this one"
  11. Apebrains

Apebrains The Missing Link...

Oddometer:
    Guess the Honduran bandits got to him before he could figure out super secret stealth mode? :ear
  12. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the solution.
    leave all lighting circuits power leads intact.
    CUT all the grounds, splice in appropriate gauge extensions, example 16 gauge for headlights, 22 gauge for tail light..... run ALL the grounds to a single, 25amp toggle switch, and ground one leg of the switch.

You are welcome.
    I don't need any money.
    You can get me a doppio.
  13. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is how I would approach it. At least, until I found something indicating it wouldn't work out, such as a light that would inherently find an alternate ground path through another source (happens in old-fashioned dashboards pretty frequently).