~250$... Best All Around Textile Jacket?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by E-Bum, Nov 13, 2009.

1. ozart

ozart Just ride

Oddometer:
    I agree. The only true waterproof jackets are the PVC ones, specific rain jackets. Everything else is merely water resistant.
  2. Bocephous

Bocephous Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    I paid $120 for my Firstgear Jaunt. Fits well, is comfortable, and has a zip in liner. I've ridden all day in the rain, no leaks, and with the liner I have yet to get cold while wearing it. The jacket shell itself is waterproof, so no worries about getting wet if you don't have the liner zipped in.
  3. TwoDuckDad

TwoDuckDad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I live in Portland as well and just went through the same debate. Interestingly, Fedex just delivered my new Olympia GT Air Jacket today. I felt that for the money it offered the best bang for the buck. It appears to be well suited for all but extreem cold weather. And, if you put a heated liner in it I'll bet it's useful down to the teens. Upon inspection it appears to be well made. Probably not "Stitch" quality but not the price either. I suspect this jacket will vent much better than the Stitch offering. Many vents and with the H2O proof liner I suspect it to perform well in rain too. I especially liked the fit. Velcro sleeve closures for custom fit, removable liner, removable H2O proof liner, plenty of pockets, sleeve vents, chest vents (sm and lg), back vents, velcro cuff snuggers (just made that word up), choice of blk/gray, blk/neon red, blk/neon yellow, nice comfy collar, zips to pants, and some other nice features. I think it's a good value & don't expect to need any repairs...but if I do there are several people in the PDX area who do quality repair work.
  4. xtphreak

xtphreak from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer:
    lessee

I got my first Kilimanjaor in 1999 GEN 1 pre any-tex

I still have it, but I wear one now that's GEN 3 maybe?? got it on sale a CycleGear for $175 I think a couple years ago

not Gore-tex but some generic-tex

a good jacket