250 Dual sports

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by bmiller59, Sep 17, 2019.

1. bmiller59

bmiller59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking around at 250 dual sports.
    The intended purpose is as a shuttle vehicle, ride up to a fishing spot, grocery getter and just general putt around town errand runner. It needs to be fairly small and light as it will be either in the truck or on the trailer with a raft.
    Budget friendly, legal and titled.
    This one popped up close by, not sure if it's titled.
    https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/salida-2002-kawasaki-250-super-sherpa/6964999227.html
    The DR250, WR250F and XR250 also come to mind.
    Any thoughts on the one I linked or other options?
    Thanks
  2. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

All those bikes you listed will meet all your criteria except light ... non of those bikes are what I would call light ..but....for Japanese bikes in that category ...they are about as light as your gonna find

Scott
    Mikemm likes this.
  3. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any of those options would do what you want, but ... The Super Sherpa is a great bike. The only downside is the carb, which is stupidly lean when stock, but can be fussy when rejetted. Still, it's a great option, and $2000 is something of a steal if it runs well. Buy that one. There's a bunch of people on the Super Sherpa thread here on ADV.
  4. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link. I've been looking for a super Sherpa. Just kidding, but those things are desirable.
    I have a CRF250L - 2015. Might be a bit out of your price range, considering the other ones listed, but it fits your criteria. Great machine. 70+mpg.
  5. bmiller59

bmiller59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the Sherpa sold yesterday.
  6. RockyMtnScotsman

RockyMtnScotsman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the Yamaha XT 225 and XT250 as well. The 250 got FI in '13 and can be found for a bit over 3K occasionally but they sell fast.
    beernutt likes this.
  7. Krelon

Krelon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I paid about $3k for my 2014 Honda CRF 250L, (legal) and it's been a great little bike.
  8. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would drop the WR250F from the dualsport list. It's a good dirt bike, and while I was able to get it plated here in Tennessee, it's geared to low to be a good DS in my opinion. I think the WR250R is a much better DS
  9. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a WR250F in the flea market right now. Awesome bike, but let’s be clear, it’s a dirt bike with a headlight and a license plate!
  10. beernutt

beernutt This space for rent

Oddometer:
    As the Scotsman said, XT225/250s are not bad. Not super high tech and won’t get a lot of oohs and ahhs in the parking lot at Starbucks but are utterly bombproof. I’ve ridden one on everything from slickrock to singletrack to mx track as well as grocery stores and bars and they do it all. Shit, dudes do RTW trips on them, check out the threads and ride reports. E start, 6 speed, air cooled and have been in production since practically the Eisenhower administration so they are tried and proven.

There are lots of faster, lighter, prettier, oranger bikes out there but for relatively inexpensive two wheeled fun, practicality and reliability they are hard to beat.

I wish I hadn’t sold mine, I’m getting all choked up thinking about it!
    250senuf and _CJ like this.
  11. dusfou

dusfou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got a crf230l that we used for raft shuttling this summer, even 2 up once. 3 of us easily lifted it onto the trailer and 2 could get it down. My gf has a Super Sherpa that is nearly identical in size and weight but a bit faster. We love them but an xt would also be a great choice
  12. Diamond K

Diamond K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ChicoProf likes this.