2610 can't acquire satellites...

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by GSBS, Jun 20, 2012.

1. GSBS

GSBS FunHog

Oddometer:
    I have used Garmin 2610s for years now. They work well for me and I've been picking them up used when they show up in the flea market for $100 or less, often with mounts, so I have one on each bike I own.

Last week after being gone for 45 days on a canoe trip I went for a ride on my WR250R and the GPS could not find satellites even after 20-30 miles. Also the time and date were off by 15 days and six hours. It had been working fine before I left May 1. In five years of using these units this is the first time one has been unable to acquire the satellites.

After I got back from the ride I transferred another 2610 to this bike's mount to test and it worked fine.

I tried a reset of the settings and even tried changing the time/date offset and connecting an external antenna, but no luck.

Any thoughts on a fix or something to try from you GPS gurus before I pronounce this unit dead?
  2. Cuzza

Cuzza n00b

Oddometer:
    Same issue here

Just bought a 2610 second hand via e-bayer. Seller listed the unit as fully functional and has 100% feedback so hopefully is not lying.

Had the unit in my car today, on the dash top and it was acquiring satellites for most of the time. It did change that message once to locating satellites but no joy after that.

Help!

Jon
  3. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    have you tried rolling the bike out of the garage.

:D
  4. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    Two possible things.
    They take FOREVER to find satellites if the internal memory battery is dead or you've beat it to death on the handlebars. On my Garmin V I killed it by using the standard Ram mount. After Garmin fixed a "floating ground" I ran it in the Tourtech mgv mount and never had any issues. When I bought the 176 I also got the mgv mount and then the Zumo... better to be safe than sorry.

Gerg
  5. Cuzza

Cuzza n00b

Oddometer:
    All sorted now. Downloaded latest software from Garmin site, did a hard reset and then plugged in the antenna and within a few minutes all was good!

HTH

Jon