27 fractures from 1 incident

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Justbobinkentucky, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Justbobinkentucky

Justbobinkentucky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    April 2016 I took a 100 mile ride to visit family in Cincinnati, thats the way the day started, I only made it about half way and finished the ride in a helicopter.
    A car spinning out of control blindsided me at about 70 MPH on the interstate, at least thats what they tell me, the last thing I remember from that morning was pulling out of my driveway about 90 minutes earlier. A witness, an off duty police officer, went to the overturned car first because he thought that there was no way that I had survived the acrobatics that he observed. The car rolled several times after impact and the driver had suffered injuries but nothing life threatening. The off duty officer had called for EMS but after discovering that I was alive, he also called for a helicopter.
    I dont remember the first week in the hospital, a lot happened during that time.

My evaluation on day 1 in the hospital:

Fracture dislocation at C5-C6
    Rotational abnormality at C1
    Complete occlusion of vertebral artery
    rightward rotation of C2
    Degenerative disc disease at C6- C7
    Non displaced fractures of T5- T9
    Mildly displaced fractures of left L2-L3
    Non displaced fractures of left L4-L5
    Left rib fractures 5-6-7
    Right rib fractures 1-2-4-5-7-8-9-11
    Moderate size left pneumothorax
    Small left hemothorax
    Atelectasis in right lower lobe
    Bladder collapsed
    Endotrachael tube in place
    Left side chest tube in place
    Comminuted obliquely oriented fracture of the distal right tibial metadiaphysis
    Fracture of right distal fibular tip
    Comminuted obliquely oriented fracture of the distal fibula
    Fracture of the left medial malleolus
    Left mid humerus fracture

I was wearing good riding gear and suffered no road rash. My new Shoei helmet did its job, EMS guys tried to cut off my Motoport kevlar pants but gave up after cutting about 4".

I spent 18 days in the hospital and then was moved to a skilled care nursing facility for 30 days before my insurance kicked me out of there.
    I am right handed and that was the only limb that wasnt broken. It took me weeks to get to the point where I could use a sliding board to get from the bed to a portable toilet. Rolling on to a bed pan with broken ribs on both sides really sucks !
    I went to the operating room 5 times while in the hospital and then had 5 more surgeries over the following 18 months. My medical bills exceeded $965,000.
    It has taken me 19 months to recover although I cannot return to work due to physical limitations.
    I was 59 at the time of the accident and had worked at the same job for 34 years.
    The end result was that I was not made whole physically or financially.
    I have made the decision to give up riding after a lifetime of it. I now need to find something else to entertain myself, motorcycles has been all that I have done for 45 years and about 600,000 miles.

In this picture, the rods with the blue caps are holding the bone pieces in alignment during the healing process. I had the external fixator for 9 months.There are 8 adjustable struts, I had a computer printout which showed how much to turn each adjuster each day to get my leg back to proper length and alignment. They cut out about 1.5" of unusable bone.
    20161116_103328.jpg

I added some pictures down at post #16 and 17
    uski, Foiler, Hi-De-Ho and 5 others like this.
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    This gives "winning" a whole different definition.
    thirsty 1 and Justbobinkentucky like this.
  3. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    20160722_140130.jpg 20161013_133537.jpg 20171222_105403.jpg 20161207_130226.jpg
  4. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow... nightmare scenario. Glad you had good gear, and glad to hear that you are making progress on the long path to recovery.
    Justbobinkentucky likes this.
  5. SwampriderEcu

SwampriderEcu n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Bob, you were dealt a tough road to recovery, I hpe you continue to recover.
    I suggest a switch to airplane rc models as a hobby... lot's of thrills and levels to accompish from fixed wings (airplanes or sailplanes) to turbine jets to helicopters. Stay away from standard (boring) drones... on the other hand FPV (first person view) drones area a hoot
    I do both and believe me it relaxes you and excites depenfing on what you have
    http://www.lrccky.com/

That's the Louiville club

Regards
    Patrick
  6. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Unreal! You're here to write about it and that says something about your stubbornness. That's one hell of a ride that you took.
    What is the long term outlook for your recovery? 59 certainly isn't "old", so hopefully you can return to a more normal life after more time healing.

I guess the one positive is that you have no memory of things.

I'm sure you will find something to keep you happy and occupy your time.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  7. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope you find something worthwhile to fill the void as you leave your riding days behind.
    I am a huge fan of kayaking and Euro board games....
  8. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    Become an Adventure Novelist.m, your a good writer. Tough break. Let me ask you this....if you had it to do over again would you still make the decision to get a motorcycle license?
  9. DukeMButu

DukeMButu Minister of Culture

Oddometer:
    If you spend a lot of time in rehab joints, connect with fellow "banged ups," and write stories for their kith and kin. They will appreciate it like you can't ever know and it "will" lead to something...you just don't know what that might be right now.

Everybody that gets whacked, whether in a war, on an adventure ride or just crossing the street feels like they have a "story." As a Geezer of the first stripe; I have enough hours in early java and jive McDonalds sessions to prove it... people LOVE medical stories. Especially if they involve the level of tech you've been through. Sidebar: Man oh Maneshevits, you have some killer x rays!

In my misspent youth I ran with a lot of guys that ended up in VA care. Twenty five seconds into any visit and you are into some heavy medical terminology!

Can you do an ATV? Lots of fun trails springing up nationwide. It's huge in Canada.

Get as well as you can and keep enjoying another spin around the sun; or tow, or three... or ...
  10. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    Yes I would still choose to get the motorcycle license. The best people and friends that I have met were thru my lifetime of motorcycles.
    I have seen places that I would never have been to otherwise. I also won a national championship drag racing a motorcycle back in 2000.
    By the way, racing is safer than riding on the street.
    I rode one day too many, should have given up riding the day before.
    The problem is that we never know when that day is coming.
  11. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    I am in better shape now that I thought that I would be. I have progressed from being bedridden, to a wheelchair to a walker, to crutches and then a cane, now without the cane. Neither ankle works 100% but they do pretty well. I have muscle and nerve damage in my left arm and hand, I can use it but dont have much strength. Also have nerve damage in my right leg, its numb from the shin to below the ankle. Range of motion in my neck is somewhat limited.
    Aches and pains in most of the fracture locations. If you saw me, you probably wouldnt notice that I had any problems except for the slight limp and a little difficulty navigating stairs. I have no blood flow in one artery in my neck, other than some dizziness when getting into bed that doesnt seem to be a problem.
    ogklx400, Cuttlefish, CSI and 5 others like this.
  12. 10K

10K Trail Runner

Oddometer:
  13. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Yikes Bob, that is scary. Glad you are on the other side of that damage. Hang in there, lots of other hobbies to be found, find one that interests you and immerse yourself in it.
  14. inbred

inbred Sweeter than Yoo-hoo

Oddometer:
    Well all's I gotta say is you are one righteous motorcycle dude. Three cheers to anything and everything you choose to do in the future.
    Hi-De-Ho and trc.rhubarb like this.
  15. lnewqban

lnewqban Ninjetter

Oddometer:
    Best wishes in your way to full recovery.
    Justbobinkentucky likes this.
  16. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    18195.jpeg 19599.jpeg 19582.jpeg 19596.jpeg

2 left xrays are left arm
    picture is right foot
    xray on the right is left ankle
  17. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    19658.jpeg

shows neck brace, arm repaired, chest tube removed and bruising
  18. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    I dont think I could stand the beating from an ATV.
    My health insurance company dropped me and my new insurance will not cover me in an unlicensed offroad vehicle.
  19. Spicciani2

Spicciani2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are allowed to drop you? Not surprised after you spent a cool mil in this accident but I wonder if the ObamaCare thing might work in your favor here.
  20. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is correct. Under the ACA insurance companies can no longer drop coverage, use prior conditions to withhold coverage, nor can they put a cap on treatment costs. Further, types of coverage requirements were set, and I'm pretty sure any coverage level covers the injuries you sadly suffer from. These benefits apply to all insurance recipients private and public. I would certainly look into this carefully.