27 fractures from 1 incident

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Justbobinkentucky, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Justbobinkentucky

Justbobinkentucky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do consider myself somewhat of a tinkerer but my physical limitations would not allow me to take on a project of that size. Nor do I have the garage space to dedicate to a 3rd vehicle.
    I had a long time after the accident to think about buying a car, wanted to get a streetrod or muscle car but didnt want something to have to work on so I bought a 2016 Corvette last September. I only drove it about 2500 miles before putting it away for winter. Spring is coming and I'll soon be able to get it out again. I bought it to drive, not to sit and look at or have to work on, I plan on putting some miles on it.
    Just washing a car wears me out but I do like to keep my vehicles clean.
    zandude likes this.
  2. zandude

zandude 1976 r75/6 & 2013 GSW

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this experience. It really is so helpful for all of us. Since I started reading the faceplant threads I have have spent literally thousands on safety gear, whereas the first 40 years of my riding career I was a sneakers and Tshirt guy. Tens of thousands of miles in ignorant bliss including a coast to coast with 80% no helmet (boy it felt good)... Reading about situations like yours where there was absolutely nothing you could do about it makes me realize I really need to be prepared for anything. I'm now a total ATGATT freak, including a new airbag vest...

So, thank you. I'm sorry that this happened to you and the suffering that it caused. I am, however, happy for you that you have those 600k miles of beautiful experiences and that you are alive and kicking... I truly admire your strength.

Be well and keep us up to date on your progress. DZ
    uski, Hi-De-Ho and Justbobinkentucky like this.
  3. Guano11

Guano11 Stop me if you've heard this one....

Oddometer:
    I admit to skipping the story & proceeding straight to the pics.
    I just assumed you tried to jump the fountains at Ceasar's Palace.

Seriously though, glad you're still with us.
    Justbobinkentucky likes this.
  4. Bhawksworth

Bhawksworth n00b

Oddometer:
    Powered paragliding. With a trike or quad. You will find that there are zero cars in the air, but plenty of thrill to being up there.
  5. Endorphin

Endorphin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride in and around Phoenix all the time.

This kind of thing is why I stay faster than traffic and in the left lanes as much as possible.

The 88 is getting repaved, you'll have a lovely Corvette road here in a bit. :)
  6. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    Just got home from a little trip down to the north georgia mountains in the corvette.This was the first time Ive had an opportunity to drive the Vette on some curvy mountain roads. This was the most fun Ive had in 2 years.
    Hi-De-Ho, twinrider, AdvRydr and 4 others like this.
  7. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 1998 Jeep Wrangler I bought new and drove 110,000 miles commuting and light duty off-road. The pinion seal started leaking under warranty and was fixed. The upper radiator hose got a pinhole leak that I replaced for $5. A valve spring broke unexpectedly - it cost less than $200 for a shop to replace. No other problems. The only reason I sold it was my kids were getting to driving age and a Wrangler with a 4.0L 6 speed is the wrong vehicle for teenagers.

I wouldn't let the fear of poor reliability scare me off from a Jeep. It only takes a small percentage of vehicles with a problem to paint a bad picture when the majority of the vehicles are fine.

At my current age I won't buy a Jeep due to the ride quality. My old bones want a bit more softnessi in the suspension.
  8. Endorphin

Endorphin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The new jeep JL is supposed to ride miles better than the JKs.
  9. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    I like your name: 72 Yamaha 350 I grew up on the old Yamaha 2 strokes, starting with a 73 RD250, 75 RD350 and a 77 RD400
  10. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    I wish you nothing but the best in your continued recovery.

Your accident is a great example of why we as motorcycle riders should all have a "Personal Umbrella Policy". And it should extend to cover us for uninsured and underinsured motorist liability with a minimum of $1,000,000 or more.
    It's the only way you have any chance of coming out whole financial. And add to this if have a passenger what you both would have to incur dollar wise. Having to worry about your finances during a situation such as this can be eliminated.
    uski likes this.
  11. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I'm sure it does but I have no need for a JK or a JL and I don't live in an area where I want one for hobby pursuits.

Wranglers are the very best vehicle designed and manufactured for off-road exploration. That necessarily compromises them for on-road performance. If I lived in an area where I could use one like I did my 98 TJ then I would have one. But I don't. And having one for ego or to represent my "lifestyle" isn't my personal style.
  12. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Do you have any teeth left or have they all been vibrated out by those Yammie two strokes? Great bikes but buzzy little things.

I had mine from about 1980 to 1988. Got it with 5,000 miles for $500 and sold it with 10,000 miles for $400 IIRC. Getting a serious girlfriend in high school in 1983 put a real damper on the number of miles I rode although her father had a motorcycle and she went on one or two short rides with me on the back of my RD350.

It pains me to read of your accident. There was nothing you did wrong. There is nothing you could have done about it. Sometimes life just throws you a random event that you just have to deal with - and yours was a serious one. I hope you recover to the best of your ability in all areas of your life and find joy and happiness going forward.
  13. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    I had a couple of the Kawasaki H2 750's also. Always wanted to own some of the more exotic 2 strokes like the RZ500 or RG500's but never found any that I could afford to buy. Still enjoy the music of the exhaust notes they make. There is a video of Kenny Roberts taking a lap on a TZ750 that I find truly exhilarating.
  14. RydRy

RydRy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry to see- hope you mend fast and become bulletproof!
  15. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bob, did the offending motorist have insurance? Are you allowed to say anything about that person? Male, female, young, old, drunk, high?
  16. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    Young female with minimum insurance state law allows
  17. DreamLeaner

DreamLeaner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why is it that in many states the minimum insurance hasn't been changed in decades? In California, I think the minimums are 35K/50K which with todays prices doesn't cover anything.
    uski likes this.
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Wow, glad you are back to, er uh normal? :eek7

What a story. I got hit by a car when I was a kid out running. 10 days in the hospital I'll never forget.
  19. Vinz Klortho

Vinz Klortho Square Peg Supporter

Oddometer:
    i don't know anything about such things but if it were possible I'd file a civil suit against the princess and garnish some of her wages for a long long time. I know that's vindictive as hell but damn, you're going to feel the effects of this accident for the rest of your life. She should too.
    uski likes this.
  20. ozmoses

ozmoses . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just like that. Damn.

I found out late last night that a woman I've known peripherally for almost 20 years was killed in an auto accident this past weekend- she was the passenger, an oncoming vehicle piloted by an elderly lady crossed the center line on a dry,blue sky day and boom. She's gone. Her husband is in critical condition.

Things can change fast,I guess...

You seem very positive and I'm sure that helps.
    Best wishes for continued healing.