27 fractures from 1 incident

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Justbobinkentucky, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Eddy Alvarez

Eddy Alvarez Motorcycle ADD Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you are exploring other options for some adventure, social interaction and fun. :thumb

Stories like yours make me often question if I should be commuting more in my super crew F-150 and not on my 390 Duke. Every day I pass and see dumb asses looking down and texting at 70 mph.
    I had a local friend get t-boned by a car a couple of months ago and he was lucky to only lose a finger.
    These stories keep me in ATGATT and alert.
    1crazypj likes this.
  2. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    great you have the jeep now. Sooooo many jeep farkles available, usually lots of jeep type clubs. I have a TJ that is pretty stock, but you can lift them (suspension upgrades),, skid plates, light upgrades, engine enhancements, snorkels, Tire upgrades,,, the GS of trucks :clap
    Justbobinkentucky likes this.
  3. Wonger20

Wonger20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    December is Jeep month at Durhamtown Resort, just FYI if you're meeting up with some buddies. There's tons of great trails and creeks to go through in TN and N GA.
    yokesman and Justbobinkentucky like this.
  4. Justbobinkentucky

Justbobinkentucky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll check it out
  5. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    My JK isn't bad on the street. It's got a nice motor and will outrun most of the shitboxes on the road from light to light. It corners decently too. It's no sports car, but it handles well enough to bomb through corners faster than most of the sheep. I bought it because it can tow my trailer, and it's a convertible. The off-road capability is just a bonus. It did have some teething problems, but all were covered under warranty. Nearly 100k on it now, and after the issues it's been reliable-ish. It's never left me stranded, so there's that.

Lets see....

Radiator leak within first 2 months of ownership. Radiator replaced under warranty.
    Squeaky driver's seat replaced after 2 failed "repairs"
    Some asshat kid at the dealership cracked the oil filler manifold by over-torquing the cap. Known problem. Required AC compressor and intake manifold removal to replace. All under warranty
    5th gear synchronizer from a missed shift covered under warranty
    Rear drive shaft seals covered under warranty
    Steering wheel position sensor covered under warranty (no traction control or cruise control without it)
    Front u-joint failure covered under warranty (<10k miles, so something wasn't right from factory)
    Door/window seals replaced under warranty
    Roof seals replaced out of warranty

Now that it's out of warranty, the radio no longer loads, reads, or ejects CDs and the window seals need to be replaced again. But bluetooth still works and the leak is on the passenger side, just making it a little louder in the cabin.

So it's definitely a chrysler product. But it's still a convertible that can tow, with lots of ground clearance and it's fun to drive. So I'm holding on to it.

Charles.
  6. Steel_Cowboy

Steel_Cowboy back in the saddle....homeward bound

Oddometer:
    @Justbobinkentucky -- will watch the thread until I read that you are going to get back on the bike again :D. Maybe in a different way, I don't really ride interstates any longer, but perhaps my county roads can be worse. Thing is you could die next time you go to sleep or get hurt walking to the store, there are ways to get through everything
  7. Essbee

Essbee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only saw this thread now. Bob, I am lost for words to be honest. I can only wish you all the best at ( pun intended ) piecing your life together.
    uski, Motorius and Justbobinkentucky like this.
  8. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    I find it hard to believe that I am totally at ease with giving up riding, motorcycling has been my only hobby since I was a kid. I always thought that I would ride til the end.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  9. mridefellow

mridefellow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm praying for you.
  10. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    Well I am happy to report that my Jeep outing with friends was a huge success. Spent 4 nights in Dillard Georgia , we had 7 Jeeps and 2 Toyota FJ's. The leaves were at about peak fall color which added to the overall experience. We had no problems but our group leader did provide assistance to a stranded Ford Ranger that got stuck in a water crossing on the Tallulah River.
    Already making plans for a couple of trips next year to N Carolina and Colorado.
  11. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hay you come on out here to Colorado! Big Jeep community, lots of amazing fun to be had on four wheels up in the sky. I love Jeep trails--crash on them all the time
  12. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for sharing, you are amazing both in your ability to survive and recover as best one can considering, but you have a tremendous positive attitude conveyed through your posts. I read thru this whole thing and I’m stunned at your tenacity and boy am I glad my mom didn’t read this I get asked often if I’ve got rid of my toys your a stud!
  13. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your kind words, Im just amazed that you read this entire thread !
    Motonirvana and Just4Fun11 like this.
  14. Just4Fun11

Just4Fun11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m looking forward to hearing you become a rock crawling champion in your Jeep! I hope you continue to update this thread. You are an incredible inspiration!
  15. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Bill 310 ...I talked with my agent (State Farm). I was told that I can increase the underinsured motorist portion of my policy to a maximum of 250k to cover medical costs if the party at fault doesn't have enough coverage. I was told that the liability umbrella that I can purchase for coverage of 1 million is to cover me for another party that needs medical if I was at fault. The umbrella didn't seem to cover me for massive medical costs if I was at fault. I think she also said I could up my own coverage to 250k for medical if I was to need it from an accident where I was at fault.
  16. Mcreviver

Mcreviver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will soon turn 71. Started riding in 1964. I have been thinking it was time to quit riding and to sell the three bikes in my avatar. Chopper Charles, who commented earlier in this thread about a Miata, and I knew personally another rider who was on his ST1100 with a sidecar, who was killed on a four lane by another car entering from an on ramp. I used to ride to save fuel and commuted to work often when weather wasn't too bad, but as the aches and pains increase with retirement age, I don't find it as enjoyable as before, but I still tend towards riding too hard and fast.
    Threads like this add the dose of reality that must be considered. Thank you Just Bob in Kentucky, I wish you well.
  17. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    After my crash, a few of my friends (that have been riding for many years) made the decision to hang up their helmets. We had ridden many miles together and my dose of reality hit too close to home for them. I still have many friends that are riders and I wish them well and enjoy following their trips thru the internet.
  18. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:
    I am late too the game, however, after reading this entire thread I am frankly amazed (and thankful ) that you are still with us. Also thankful for you mending as much as you have, as well as sharing your story with us. I’ve lost several loved ones and friends thru accidents, freak health occurrences, or other health issues, over the years. Some very young, some middle aged, some older. Even a 30 year old co-worker died 2 years ago with no known prior health issues. Really makes ya think about when you get out of bed each day that it might be your last.

Point I always take away from it is that not one of us know when any day will be our last. Make sure you try to mend fences (grudges), tell/show loved ones and friend that you love/care for them, as well as having ones affairs in order. It is bad enough for our families to lose a loved one, however, it is much harder if they are left with massive medical bills and other issues, that may have been prevented....or least mitigated, by our own due diligence. E.G....having high coverages, creating a will, making your post-Mortem wishes known to your family. Things like that.

Bob, if you are ever in San Diego, it’d be my honor to buy your death cheating bonic body one of our finest locally brewed craft beers!

Cheers,
  19. Justbobinkentucky

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your thoughts and kind words. I have tried to prepare for my exit from this world, as much as one can, so as you said to not leave that task to others, who may or may not be in mourning at that time. lol

I still have some health battles to deal with, one in particular that could result in death much sooner than I would like to think about. Not next week or next month, probably not next year but beyond that no one can say for sure. I am trying to live life to the fullest and enjoy the company of those that I love and make them aware of my love and appreciation for them.

My wife and I are flying out to Arizona, leaving this Sunday and going to rent a car a drive around Arizona for 11 days. The government shutdown and how it effects the national parks may have an impact on our travels but will not put a damper on our trip. There is so much there to see and do and my wife has never been. We plan on doing a hot air balloon ride somewhere in the southern part of the state, maybe around Tucson.
    Its currently 13* here in Kentucky, the forecast for Tucson next week is for temps to reach into the 70's.
  20. scrubb

scrubb Master of Mayhem

Oddometer:

Well, if your compass gets broken and you happen to end up in San Diego (we have hot air balloon rides too ;)), let me know.

Btw, my letter was not preaching directly to you. I was speaking that we all need to have our affairs in order. Just wanted to clarify is all.

Have a great trip Bob.