276C LCD replacement, has anybody done that?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by khpossum, May 14, 2014.

1. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    My 276C LCD is slowly loosing pixels. I ordered a new LCD screen from China. I opened the unit and removed the LCD screen. The hard part is the thin connector strip. Other connectors have a part that moves out and the cable comes out easily. The LCD strip does not appear to have that. Does anybody have any tips how to get the thin connector pushed back in place without damaging it?

KP
  2. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had mine totally disassembled at one time long ago. The front windows came loose, and rain water filled the 276C. Water got in the layers of the LCD. So I actually had to separate the LCD panel pieces.

Anyway, it was long ago and I don't recall any major issues. Is it one of those connectors that the top open like a clam? To assemble you lay the cable there and just clamp the top down on it.

Does the cable exit parallel to the board, or perpendicular off the board?
  3. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    The cable comes out parallel to the board. I tried to lift the upper white part up to see if it would come up. It does not seem to want to, but it is very fragile, so I am hesitant to try very hard. There has to be some trick to it, but I don't see it.

I pulled the cable out and that took some effort. I don't see how I could push it back in, the cable it to flimsy. There has to be some trick.

VICTORY!!

After I wrote the above I looked at it again thru my magnifying glass. I had been concentrating on the white outer part. It was clear it was not going to move. I then noticed a much smaller black thingy. Low and behold, it flips up easily with a very small flat screwdriver. It is still a bit of a hassle to fit the cable in to the slots of the white connector part while holding the display, but it eventually went in there even and parallel. The black part was flipped down and the GPS works again. This is still with the old display. I hope to get my new display soon.

I bought another 276C a couple of weeks ago that I used this week on a Moab trip. It got water in it and the display is now flaky with a large vertical stripe in the middle. I opened it up and tried to dry it out. That does not seem to do the trick, so I will now replace that display as well. It works out to be a cheap fix, if the new Chinese display works.

I need to work on water proofing these things. The case seal possibly does not do the trick by it self. I may need to put some silicone around the glass edge and maybe some grease on the case seal. Maybe also lather some dielectric grease around the battery terminals.

I will try to shoot some close up pictures later and post it.
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I suspected. Those bits are getting tiny and hard to see.

Mine leaked around the front window. I was able to disassemble the actual LCD and dry / wipe it down. It refused to dry out by itself after a few weeks of being apart.

Dielectric grease on a contact like the battery contacts may actually be a bad idea BTW.
  5. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    While I was at it I changed the little backup battery as well. That allowed me to loook at where the main battery power comes in. It does not look like a likely leak point. The antenna pass thru is a possibility. A little bit of silicone may do some good there.

Here is the LCD ribbon cable connector and the part that needs to be flipped up. When putting the cable back min make sure it slides in the 2 side slots of the white stationary part.

This http://www.harborfreight.com/desktop-magnifying-lamp-97448.html thing made things a lot easier

[​IMG]
  6. vehoriding

vehoriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good tips on screen replacement. How did the replacement screen from China work out and where did you source it?

Both my buddies and my 276C screens are on their last legs and I'm looking for replacements.

Thanks

Brian
  7. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    As far as drying one of these out----just letting it sit opened up may not do it I found------what I did was put a light bulb (desk lamp) over the unit. And let is slowly and gently warm the whole thing up---worked perfect. I let it heat for about 12 hours-----be gentle tho--not too much heat--doesn't need much.

Mark
  8. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I bought the display on ebay, seller was chanelbabyup. $47,

* Brand Name:Garmin
    * Size:3.8 inch.
    * Model NO.: LQ038B7DB01

It has worked fine since i installed it.

As far as drying out is concerned: yes, open it up as soon as you see moisture. Don't wait a day. A light bulb will certainly help. After having worked on several units it seems moisture collects in my units in the bottom right of the case because that is how my unit is oriented on the bike. The one permanently damaged unit has damage to the board or surface mounted components in that area. If I open another unit I may just put a little bit of lacquer or something to protect those parts.

In the last unit I worked on I took some bathroom silicone and put it in a syringe with about a 1/16" opening. I put some silicone around the glass edge on the inside and also some in the corner of the glass on the outside. Additionally some silicone around the antenna coax connector where it penetrates the case. I do not know if this adds to the water protection, but it certainly cant hurt. Then I took some electrical tape, the stretchy kind and wrapped it around the case seam. I don't know what to do about the buttons, except maybe get a new button panel. They can be had on eBay as well.

I want to squeeze all the life I can get out of my 276C. It is in my opinion still by far the best GPS around. While traveling in turkey at the moment my buddy uses a Montana and there is always something not quit right when he wants to do some simple routing. Always a hassle, always too complicated to do just navigation. It does have a good calculator build in though, how about that.
  9. vehoriding

vehoriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks KHP, The problem with our units is not moisture. The screen on mine is fading badly, particulary in bright sun....my buddies developed a black spot about the size of a thumbprint on the screen after sitting out in the sun at 8000 ft (Near Cree CO) a couple weeks ago.

I also have a Montana and have been unsuccessfully trying to 'wean' myself off the venerable 276C, but like you say, Montana a PIA to use...lacks the detail when zooming out, can't easily find POI's 'along current route', can't easily add more than 1 via point to a route, need to take eyes off the road to zoom in/out move curser around, etc etc. Can't understand why Garmin would abandon the x76 line of GPS's and their ilk. Look at the big $$ they are going for on Ebay!

I will look up the Ebay seller you have referenced and post here again with progress on the new screens.

Brian.
  10. vehoriding

vehoriding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One more question

My unit has an LQ038B7DD01 (took it apart last night). Looks like the LQ038B7DB01 that you quote is close to the same but has touchscreen capability. What did you do with the unused touchcreen connectors?

The LQ038B7DB01 is available from a couple of Ebay sellers in China/HongKong for about $50 but not from the guy that you bought from. Can't find the LQ038B7DD01 anywhere.

Thanks,
    Brian
  11. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, it can hurt.

Many of those silicone sealants are acid based. They give off fumes that are corrosive. They can do a lot of damage to electronics trapped in the same cabinet like that.
    If you do this, make 100% sure that the label clearly states that it is non-corrosive.
  12. khpossum

khpossum poster

Oddometer:
    I just quoted what it said on my shipping label. It was an exact replacement. I am currently in turkey so I can not check on an old unit. I just happened to have the paperwork on my computer.

The times I have had moisture problems was after I took mine apart. so if you take yours apart I would take the extra precautions. I don't know where mine leaked, but to me the most obvious suspect is the glass.

If you are worried about the silicone in the case just use it on the outside. Doesn't look great, but has done the job so far.