276C Map Updates Needed

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by allonsye, Jan 15, 2013.

1. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    My maps are 7-yrs old on my 276C. I like this unit a lot - don't want a new one. This unit is great for simply knowing where I am at all times and the ease with which to plot a course it provides. But it sure would be nice to have the latest map software loaded up into Mapsource. I've poked around looking here and there - there isn't map updates available from what I can find - looks like not much support available anymore for this puppy.

Pointing me to a pertinent thread or suggestions for updating it would be greatly appreciated. Maybe someone has some software they'll sell, rent or giveaway?

Anyone have any luck with expanding the capability of the proprietary 512mb card as well?
  2. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any of the later version of City Navigator will work. You will need to purchase the map and then register it (on Garmin's site) to the 276 before you can get an unlock code... The various topo maps aren't locked to a specific receiver so they can be purchased and installed without need for an unlock code.
  3. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Maybe I wasn't on the right page but a glance at the Garmin site a few days ago and the City Navigator wasn't available nor the topos. Will the topo have the streets on it as well?
  4. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is a Russian or somebody from over there selling 1or2 GB memory card upgrades. You will have to do a little thread searching...
    Vendors I think is where there is a sales thread.
  6. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Right, thanks. I tried to do the download and it would not recognize the 276 series so wouldn't let me follow through. I'll order the cd/dvd i guess.
  7. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    The 276c takes the City Navigator NT map data. And downloading map data requires a Garmin plug-in app on your computer. It should automatically download when you attempt a purchase.

And there is a guy who is selling larger memory chips for the 276. There is a thread in the forum where some other folks have shared their experiences.
  8. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the good feedback Dave. I'll check it out.
  9. Ditch

Ditch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the 2gig update from this guy http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=762001&highlight=garmin
    works fine.
    You have to sacrifice a memory card to install the new memory board into so try to find an older small one (64 or so).
    It took about two weeks to recieve the new board.
    Do a search, someone has some pictures of the install process, very easy.
  10. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    Noted. Thx for posting Wendell.