276C mapset download problem

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by sherpa, Aug 23, 2016.

1. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    I have a 276C that I have had for years. I haven't downloaded a new mapset from Mapsource in a long time. I am trying to do it, but two error messages occur.

The first error message states that some of the maps that I have selected have not been unlocked for my GPS. That's odd, because I have all of North America unlocked and have used them in the past. I click download anyway and proceed with the download, which appears to take place successfully until the very end....

.... at the very end the erasing existing mapset window appears and stays on forever (as in overnight) with nothing happening.

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo minor annoyance

Oddometer:
    similar problem here with my 276C, only when I select an area from my Mapsource (100K) to load into the 276 and click send, my computer instantly locks up and won't respond, even overnight, like you say. I have to open task manager and shut down Mapsource to gain control of my computer again. the Garmin will still show 0% loaded.

hoping the solution to your problem may also cure mine.
  3. drewjb7

drewjb7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First thing I would try is using MapInstall instead of Mapsource. It runs within Basecamp or you can get it as a stand alone from here:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291

Also, make sure you have the latest firmware for the 276 and have it plugged into AC when doing the download.

Good luck.

Drew
  4. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo minor annoyance

Oddometer:
    thanks, Drew. that worked first try!
  5. sherpa

sherpa ...Robert

Oddometer:
    Thank you Drew. While MapInstall didn't do the trick for me, your suggestion got me going down the right path towards a successful install. It started with downloading the Garmin Communicator Plugin, which evidently Google Chrome decided to stop supporting at sometime. I had to also switch to Internet Explorer for the installation and unlocking the maps.