276C power cable ?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by greenlizard, Oct 24, 2010.

1. greenlizard

greenlizard adventure lite

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a source for the fused bare wire power cable with the old style 90 degree plug for the 276C? The one most commonly available now has a straight plug on the gps end which does not allow use of my Touratech mount. I stupidly let my power cord go with my last bike before finding out that Garmin changed from the 90 degree plug to the straight one while keeping the same part number. Argh. I guess I could cobble something up from a cigarette type cord I have laying around, but I'd rather not, if possible.
  2. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
  3. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a good question.

Unfortunately that link goes to a connector that is not for the 276C, sorry to say.
  4. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the above link. Must have been a redirect as it was the right one. Here is one at CYCLEGADGETS.COM.
  6. greenlizard

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys. I'll make a couple of calls tomorrow and post what I find out. As I said, the part changed but the part number remains the same. Several vendors including GPSCity.com show the 90 degree connector, but only sell the newer straight connector. If you have a Touratech mount don't lose the power cord!
  7. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    I have had two of the 90 degree power cord ends come apart on me so far. One was the car cord with speaker, and the other was hard wired to the bike.

The outer sheathing just came off the end that plugs into the GPS and pulled a few of the wires loose. They may have changed the design to correct this issue. :dunno

Good luck on your hunt.

Mike
  8. greenlizard

Oddometer:
    According to the helpful lady at gpscity.com, you are exactly right. She told me Garmin has seen too many failures of the 90 degree plug and that is what lead to the new straight plug. The new plug looks more robust and seems to anchor the cable to the plug more securely. I called Garmin and got the same story. So. My next move is to cannibalize a 12 volt cig plug and make an old style cable so I can use my gps with the Touratech mount designed for it.
  9. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Cogswell

Cogswell Now living the new normal.

Oddometer:
    Just got an email back from Larry at that site. They do not make anything for the 276c.
    Thanks for trying Bruce !

Mike
  11. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like there's two available on ebay right now. Search for "garmin 276c power cable". Note I am just going by the supplied pics. Best to verify with sellers they are the old right angle cables.
  12. greenlizard

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the interest guys. After some head scratching and fooling around, I found that the new, straight power plug WILL fit the Touratech mount. It may require a little bit of filing on the mount as it is very close, but it does work. Whew! The remaining issue is whether the plug will stay connected over rough terrain, since the mount does not keep it pressed into the gps like the older, 90 degree power plug was. Maybe some zip ties will help - I'll see what I can do. Photos will be posted when a solution is found.

My 60CX works fine but I sure have missed the 276C's big screen and faster redraw!
  13. MarylandStrom

MarylandStrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got sick of replacing my power cord on my 276/376c/478. The last time it broke, I bought a new one and then downline a little I spliced in a four pin trailer plug. Now I never unplug the 90 degree plug on the back of the set. I just unplug the trailer plug which is far more robust. It was the perfect fix.

I now have a trailer plug on my bike as well as the Garmin cable with the speaker box.
  14. mcnut

mcnut Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have just purchased the power cable for my 276C - down here in Ozstralia we are so backward we still have the old style 90 degree cables for sale brand new.

Not knowing there was a superceded version of this cable, how long will I get out of it before it breaks?

can i superglue it together to keep it in one piece?

Also what is the suggested connection type to plug the GPS into? The ends of the cable are just bare wire and I'd like something a little better if you guys know of something