276cx experience, using it on the mac (and selling the new to me GPSMAP 496)?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by motorrad3DP, Dec 27, 2017.

1. motorrad3DP

motorrad3DP motorrad3DP@gmail.com

Oddometer:
    anyone have experience with the 276 cx that wouldn't mind helping out a GPS newbie?

i did labrador and the canadian eastern provinces on my r100gs this summer and the iphone did not cut it. i had just got a zumo 550 but it turned out to need calibration so i rolled out with an old iphone and some GPS apps. this was sort of not fun in the pouring rain hauling ass - and getting lost - across nova scotia.

since then i have the zumo 550 calibrated and i have scored a GPSMAP 496 with a ton of accessories for a truly ridiculously small amount of money.

i am running mac OS with USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 and /can/ run windows on both these machines but i am wondering if i should sell the 496 and invest in a 276cx.

basically i am not sure what would be involved in getting the 476 to work with ROAD MAPS but also the complexity of getting it to work on a mac or buying a cheap windows laptop may mean it is not the device for me. that said, using it to learn some airplane stuff is really cool.

thanks for any advice.
  2. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ping vfrpilot. He runs one and has good knowledge of software required.
    motorrad3DP likes this.