276cx Shot?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Major_Zero, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Major_Zero

Major_Zero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I was really excited about the 276cx, but it seems like it has some issues. I want to be able to load and overlay maps. Specifically, I want to overlay topo and the hunter series maps. I live near a vast amount of forest land and there's a lot of public and private land intermixed. At the same time, I want to be able to run City Navigator.

That said, what are your recommendations? I'm also open to arguments that the 276cx is the way to go.

Thanks!
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the 276cx thread is already populated with a lot of real-world use feedback. in yesterdays posts, videos that show what happens when a person tried to use it the way you described.

i bet you could ask someone to grab a video of exactly the maps and uses you're considering, to see just how poor the performance is in that scenario.
  3. Major_Zero

Major_Zero Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess I should have worded my post differently. Given the 276cx hasn't been living up to expectations, what's a good alternative?
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

the old (like, really old) 276 is still being used by folks. iirc there was either a 276 or 478 on the adv market a few days ago. someone is always seeking theirs on adv. not saying they're all changing to phones instead but.... no I'm kidding. really check the flea market.

if you were interested in push button , Garmin only devices, those would hit the tick boxes on your list of wants.

i just use my smartphone everywhere.