276Cx vs Zumo 590LM/595LM

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by TripleThreat719, Nov 23, 2016.

1. TripleThreat719

TripleThreat719 Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer:
    This is long winded - bear with me...

I currently run a Zumo 660 and a GPSMap 60Csx and have been considering updating to a new device.

I've had both of these devices for years. Long before Spotify and Pandora were popular and readily accessable via smartphone apps.

My current uses are as follows:

BMW R1150 RT
    Husqvarna TE610
    Land Rover Discovery II and
    Volvo 960

I have a motorcycle mount hardwired into the Land Rover and the audio output from that mount connected to the CD input of the stock stereo. I have a automotive mount in the Volvo. However, both of these vehicles need a new stereo, or the stock stereo repaired, and I could incorporate a line input in either, or replace the stock units with bluetooth capable head units.

I have the BMW setup with a Touratech mount for the Zumo and utilize the MP3 player to send music to my SENA SMH10 and I also link my iPhone to the Zumo so I can see who's calling and also have the ability to initiate phone calls from the Zumo (although I seldom ever do this).

On the Husky, I just have the GPSMap 60Csx set up with wired power. When riding it, I link my cell phone directly to my SENA SMH10 for music and phone calls. I either utilize the music player on the iPhone to play my personal music library, or stream Pandora or Spotify (although I don't have a subscription to either and the ads can get annoying).

Given the fact that I have an unlimited data plan, the need for the MP3 player in the GPS is not as important to me as it was when I bought the Zumo 660. In addition, when I bought all of this stuff, I was still piping sound into my helmet via a wired connection with a StarCom1 Advance and had my cell phone connected via a hard wire. So, now that I use the SENA SMH10, I'm not even sure how important having the phone connected to the GPS is to me anymore.

My goal would be to simplify to a single device that would meet my needs for on-road navigation and off-road navigation with a particular focus on tracks with a large amount of points.

The Zumo 590 or 595 would certainly be the closest to what I have in the Zumo 660 and add some functions that I don't have with Spotify pass through and weather via the smartphone link. They do a pretty decent job of handling tracks. But the screen still leaves a little bit to be desired and the mount is not as rugged as the mount for the 276Cx.

The 276Cx is much better at handling tracks and would be similar in operation to my 60Csx. The fact that it will provide onscreen alerts that show who's calling, who sent a text, and will support weather data provide the essentials of the cell phone link. The glass screen and buttons, as compared to the touch screen are very attractive to me.

I thought I had my mind set on the Zumo 595 until the 276Cx came out.

A couple of questions...

1. Do the Zumos have support for shaping point data like the 276Cx does?
    2. Is the screen on the new Zumo series enough better than the 660 that it is a noticeable improvement?
    3. Is it reasonably easy to find points of interest on the 276Cx? Can you browse categories like you can on the Zumos?
    4. Is it reasonably easy to enter addresses on the 276Cx when typing using the buttons rather than the touch screen on the Zumo series?
    5. Are lifetime Map Updates available for the 276Cx, or would I have to pay for every map update?

Any thoughts that would help drive me in making a decision, particularly from anyone who has experience with both, would be appreciated.

I'd asked a little about this in the 276Cx thread, but after continuing to read that thread and giving more thought to how important (or unimportant) the MP3 player and pass through of cell calls is, given the SMH10, I'm still torn.
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. The zumo 59xLM do suppport RPE shaping points (not the same as Shaping Points (won't alert). But, the zumo's auto-route from your current location to the Start Point of your RPE data Route. The 276Cx does not route you to the Start Point of RPE Routes - you can join the Active Route anywhere along the route path you like.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes. Yes.
    4. Of course you can touch type on the screen faster than you can use the cursor-keyboard. But, it's not difficult to use the 276Cx's cursor-keyboard to enter info.
  3. TripleThreat719

Oddometer:
    Dan,

As always, I appreciate your insight. The 276Cx sure seems like a better device for offroad excursions for the Husky, and given the motorcycle mount I have hardwired in the Rover, it seems like it would work pretty well.

My big hesitation is the Volvo and the lack of a speaker in the 276Cx. I'd have to have the radio upgraded to be able to hear turn-by-turn directions, whereas the Zumo would be usable right out of the box in the car.

I know, from reading your posts, that if the 276Cx had a mount that was integrated into the thumbwheel grip control on the BMW, you'd be willing to abandon your Nav 5 in favor of the 276Cx.

Based on my intended usage, do you think I'd be happy with the 276Cx in a car? (I know it's hard to read someone's mind, but give it a shot...)
  4. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. TripleThreat719

Oddometer:
    Dan - You are Awesome! I hadn't seen that... Looks like the 276Cx just moved to the top of my list...
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

So the only reason you're considering paying eight hundred dollars for the cx instead of a used zumo , is buttons?
  7. TripleThreat719

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sure... that's why!

I already have a used Zumo.

Seriously?

Have you not done any research about the differences in these devices?

Why even bother to respond if you have nothing productive to add to the conversation except to question why someone would want to spend their hard earned money.

Even if it is only for buttons, why does it make any difference to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  8. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I've noticed folks usually get more offended, and more easily, as the price tags of devices go up. I added answers to hopefully shape the conversation back to what your current hopes of gaining something from the cx. That's all. :-)
  9. TripleThreat719

Oddometer:
    OK - didn't realize you were asking a serious question. Just seemed like one of many posts on here where someone questions why someone would spend money (usually someone who couldn't or wouldn't spend it themselves) while not adding any substance to the conversation... It get's old after a while...

If you read my long-winded initial post, then you know that I already have a Zumo 660 and a GPSMap 60CSx that I've had for years and have made extensive use of. I am planning to upgrade to a newer model. I've narrowed it down to the new Zumo 590LM/595LM and now the GPSMap 276Cx.

The 276Cx seems to be the more robust navigator offering the ability to display more tracks, have more points in a track, greater ability to store tracks, and better interpretation of RPE shaping points while in an active route (doesn't try to route you back to the start point).

The Zumo series, while having a slicker interface, and offering things like intersection preview and lane assist, along with a whole bunch of other stuff I don't care about, like helmet notifications and other annoying popups to tell me every time the speed limit changes, or there's a railroad crossing, or a school zone, isn't as robust when it comes to the track handling capabilities.

Prior to handy smartphone apps for accessing streaming services like pandora and spotify, as well as Apple Music, the MP3 player on the Zumo was a very attractive option for me, as I like to listen to music when I ride. Given a smart phone, those apps, and unlimited data, along with a SENA SMH10 Bluetooth helmet communication system, that feature loses its importance.

The GPSMap 276Cx loses a little ground with the more time consuming (when entering an address) interface as opposed to the Zumo's on-screen QWERTY keyboard.

I wasn't aware that the GPSMap 276Cx had an automotive mount that had a built-in speaker, so that makes using it in a car that currently only has AM radio (as the FM band only works part time) with no bluetooth or Aux input workable.

When considering the two different series, the GPSMap 276Cx is actually less expensive than the 595LM. Both will control a Virb Ultra 30 Action Camera and I would imagine that Garmin may add support for the TPMS to that unit as well, since (I think) that system uses the ANT interface to communicate with the GPS like the VIRB Ultra 30.

The brightness of the screen in direct sunlight is especially important when riding. It seems like the GPSMap 276Cx wins out here. I spent 7 days riding 1800 miles through the back country in Utah on a KTM 640 Adventure with the Zumo 660 and the GPSMap 60Csx. Both of them were really hard to read at times when the sun was directly on the screen and there was no shade to be had anywhere. That really doesn't matter if you have an active route and you are listening to voice prompts. However, when you are riding from a track, and are relying on the ability to see the actual line on the screen, daylight visibility is really important.

For motorcycling, when riding off road using tracks, the 276Cx seems like the best navigator. I just wasn't sure that I'd be happy with it in the Volvo.

Most of the time, I'm entering a favorite destination into the GPS when traveling someplace in the car, just to keep track of expected arrival time vs. actual arrival time and to be able to easily tell the device to find a detour in the event of a traffic accident or other road blockage. When I travel on the motorcycles, I've usually planned out a very specific route that I've carefully created with specific roads to be followed, or I'm utilizing a track that I created, or downloaded for a dual sport ride.

If I'm looking for food, fuel, or lodging, I utilize the browse feature on the GPS to search along my current route. It's rare that I would ever enter an actual street address into the device, so the marginally more difficult interface really isn't that big of a deal. It's not like I'm typing a post on the ADV Forum...

The one thing that is now holding me back is what appears to be the lack of Lifetime Map Updates on the 276Cx. I've never made use of any of the open source maps out there, with the exception of some topo maps, and I currently have Lifetime Map Updates for my Zumo 660 and for my wife's DriveSmart 70 that she has in her Explorer (got that model and installed the back-up camera that pairs with it - that's pretty slick). I took advantage of Garmin's 20% Upgrade Discount, when I bought that unit.

I guess I'll call Garmin and see what they can do for me on CNNA Lifetime Updates for the 276Cx.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i hear your about the problems with inputting addresses in gps units, i gave up on poi's a long time ago because of both search functions that were very poor, and the tendancy for every poi to be outdated if i could find it with the search.

now, i just Google them prior to leaving and save a waypoint with ALL THEIR INFORMATION including hours of operation, telephone number, etc and make sure they are still in business before relying on it. poi was a great idea but businesses change so often now, is always out of date.

as far as track handling, is not a big deal with my smartphone apps, but every time i get in a car that had a standalone .... wow, i can totally understand why you would be searching for a better way. the zumo is pretty good, i don't see $800 worth of "better" in the cx really. if it was the same difference from the zumo to a typical smartphones track database handling, absolutely yes, but i doubt it's anywhere near that drastic a difference between the zumo and cx.

was the 6x series just too small/dim for that long trip, or ... something else like the user interface that you wanted more from it ?
  11. TripleThreat719

Oddometer:
    The 660 has been a great unit and I still use it all the time. Map sizes have outgrown the internal memory long ago and maps have to now be loaded onto a micro USB card. That's not a huge deal, but the processor speed on the 660 is slow enough that with the larger map sizes now, map refreshes are fairly slow when panning and zooming...

The brightness, increased track handling capabilities, faster processor and larger internal memory are driving forces behind upgrading to a newer unit.

A new Zumo 595LM is $899.

A new GPSMap 276Cx is $799, but then I'd have to add map costs to that, unless I just start using OSM stuff...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Brapalot

Brapalot Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I am wondering now, after over a year of use what people are thinking about the difference between these two.

Cheers!
    uturnKTM likes this.
  13. uturnKTM

uturnKTM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I am in the market for an upgrade. I am using an ancient C60 hiking model. Looking at Zumo 595 or 396 as possibilities. Looks like this has blue tooth for in headset alerts which works for me. Only thing is doesn't have is ability to play music stored on my phone?
  14. Brapalot

Brapalot Hooligan

Oddometer:
    I believe that is correct. I just purchased the 276Cx and so far so good. But I have only used it in the car to get used to how it works. I am using the OSM maps as it seems to me the Garmin stuff is very expensive. I'd rather support an open project.

15. Migs

Migs Sometimes we cry with everything except tears.

Oddometer:
    I have both. Never use the Zumo because it's only useful onroad. 276cx is much better plus you can add maps. I invariably also use maps.me on my cell phone as well.
  16. twinsig

twinsig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any opinion on the 595? My 660 took a dump and I can trade in for 30% off. I'm street only, rarely music, Sena 20S.
  17. Migs

Migs Sometimes we cry with everything except tears.

Oddometer:
    I don't know the 595 - sorry. If I were you I'd get a newer GPS. I really like the 276Cx but it's pricey and not as suited to street nav as one with the Magnifier glass interface.