2nd Annual Purelicks Ride for Life in Kennedy Meadows August 7-9 2020

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Klammer, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Single track,desert, surf, water & snow ski Heaven
    It's been 2 years since we lost our fellow FFer "Purlick". His favorite ride was Kennedy Meadows and many of us rode with him there. You could always count on Kenny for a fresh cup of joe in the morning, a fun ride and some good laughs around the fire at night.
    I am bring back a long standing ADV weekend camp and ride. Come one come all to Purlick's Ride for Life![​IMG]
    Last year our trip coincided with Cowboy day at the general store. That was a special treat for us, steak dinner and a great live band on Saturday. I have contacted the general store and they are doing it again August 8th. Details to come.
    We will be camping in Fish Creek overflow, there is no fee "free camping". Please bring one bundle of wood from your local market. If everyone brings one bundle we'll have plenty of wood for a raging fire each night! :kumbayaCampfire permits, a bucket of water and shovel are required for each pit, as well as gas stoves and lanterns. Permits are availible online here: http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/
    This link is to Fish Creek camp, we are across the street in Fish Creek Overflow on 21S33:
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/aaKmyMVofQxdD5rx6
    Things you should know:deal
    The last place to get gas is Pearsonville out on 395. There may be gas at Kennedy Meadows general store, but don't count on it.
    Make sure your vehicles brakes and transmission are in good working order, the road to Kennedy Meadows is steep. I'm not trying to scare anyone, we take motorhomes and toyhaulers every trip, but this road should be taken serious.
    Camp is at 7800' so it will be cold at night.
    There is no toilet or water spigot in camp, dirt camping w/no table, fire permit required. (We have a permit for tribal fire pit!) Toilet and water across the street in the main camp.
    To enjoy the rides and not beat the crap out of you and your bike, GEAR DOWN ! No 15T front sprockets.
    The rides will range from 30-50 miles and take the better part of the day, pack a lunch and beverages + plenty of water.
    Make sure you have tools and supplies to change flats and make trail repairs. Duct tape and bailing wire, clutch levers and perchs.
    The ranger will check all bikes for spark arresters, red sticker ok year round !
    Ride slow and keep the dust down while in camp, there is a camp host and the ranger is on patrol. Don't give our group a bad reputation.
    Trail maps availible at camp for free and forestry maps availible for a price, at the Blackrock Ranger Station (a few miles from camp by trail or road)
    There is no cell service anywhere! There is a payphone (quarters only no cards) as well as free wifi at the general store 10 miles back down the road from camp in KM.
    If you don't feel like cooking, you can join me at the Grumpy Bear. "GOOD EATS"
    http://www.grumpybearsretreat.com
    Here is another link to a great source of info.
    http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/california_06187/ride_07c1.htm
    Please don't quote this post or the next one as I will be updating them as info comes in.
    Chillis, NSFW, BiggieFalls and 2 others like this.
  2. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    In List:
    theGrinch
    MrGadalot
    NSFW
    dzrtracin
    AllSeasonRider
    bigtodd
    rider914
    diry adventurer
    Migolito
    Aanichols

Inish List:
    FJKai
    BiggieFalls
    sopascat
    radbrad511
    PukaWai
    Temecula Tim
    headstaller
    dunerat
    Suzuki Phil
    Gerg
    El Zorillo
    Motobonita
  3. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    In
    I really miss Kenny.
    Klammer likes this.
  4. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Woo-hoo Grinchie is first "In" !!!
  5. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    In....at least tentatively until the official dates are known.
    Klammer likes this.
  6. MrGadalot

MrGadalot Chop Chop

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to a second year. Awesome group and really fun riding. Need to start working on the cardio for those high altitude rides.
    Klammer likes this.
  7. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN.....:y0!
    Klammer likes this.
  8. BiggieFalls

BiggieFalls b00b

Oddometer:
    Inish please. Big bike street riding again if the dates work with my work.
    Klammer likes this.
  9. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    110% no matter the date...
    Klammer and theGrinch like this.
  10. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably in
    Klammer likes this.
  11. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Great guys and great riding. Watching this thread in hope of attending again.
    theGrinch and Klammer like this.
  12. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    Our date is set for August 7-9 2020. The general store is having Cowboy Day on Saturday the 8th. Dinner and entertainment details to come.
  13. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    In! Been wanting to get some riding in that area for a while.

Will any of the lead rides be suitable for an intermediate-at-best rider on a 690?
    Klammer likes this.
  14. FJKai

FJKai Off Road Lurker

Oddometer:
    Personally I'd only ride a dirt bike or an adventure bike up in the Kennedy Meadows area. Dirt bike meaning 450/500 or smaller because the big draw for most is all the single track up there. Think tight switch back stuff, rocky, steep, loose, trees, whooped out, etc., etc.. Not saying a 690 can't do that, but me personally I wouldn't want to be on anything larger than a dirt bike on that stuff. I'd venture to guess that 95-98% will be on dirt bikes due to the single track trails.

I say "or adventure bike" (meaning bigger, smoother riding, wind protection, comfort, power, handling, etc.) because there's a lot of great pavement twisty roads to be had up there but also bigger miles to cover to ride them and then BACK to Kennedy Meadows. Again, me personally I'd rather do this longer pavement type stuff on an adventure bike, especially the ride to and from Kennedy Meadows. I'm not saying there isn't more mellow two-track, fire road type stuff, but that stuff can be done on an adventure bike also.

If you still have your 1090, that'd be my choice of weapon between the two. This could be your "oh crap or oh yeah" moment with the 690.
  15. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'd pretty much just be interested in fire road / forest road kind of stuff, and it sounds like that's up there (unless I misunderstood your post). My 1090 will be sold by the time this shindig happens, and the 690 was always intended to replace it. Definitely not as comfy, but it's more fun everywhere but the freeway.

I go pedal-powered when I want to get into some gnarly single track :D
    Klammer likes this.
  16. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    IN! Will bring the big truck and happy to haul stuff up.
    Klammer likes this.
  17. Klammer

Klammer Old and Grumpy

Oddometer:
    There is lots of fire/forestry roads in beautiful country. I'm sure there will be riders interested in that also.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  18. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    I went to this thing last year. I rode a lot of the trails up there back when nobody had even heard of Kennedy meadows, on bikes like Honda 250 and a 500, and even a KLR. But last year it quickly became evident that some of the trails are now above my pay grade, and I was just too slow on the rest of the single track. So I opted to do solo rides on fire roads and easy two-track and still had a great time. All of that I could have ridden on my GSA, and am definitely considering doing that this year. Even much of the two-track up at Monache is suitable for a big bike, except that there is about a 1/4 mile of the road going up there that's steep and very chewed up by the jeepers. Not sure if I want to try that on a GSA. I'd consider a big bike big loop over Sherman Pass, past Isabella and Walker pass and back up 9-mile canyon. That's a beautiful ride.

Think this was from the year 36 B.C. (Before Covid)
    With 80's style ATTGATT

[​IMG]
    Migolito, theGrinch, bigtodd and 3 others like this.
  19. rider914

rider914 Agnostic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN! :thumb

+1 :nod
    There are tons more miles of beautiful dual-sporty forest roads up there than single track. They don't often make loops, but usually end up at a nice meadow or near a mountain top. The 690 will be great for all of those, as well as the couple jeepy roads (Monache Meadow and Sherman Peak).

There are also some sections of single track that you would really enjoy :ricky
    Trick is avoiding the sections that you won't :muutt

Great pic PW :clap

-M
    Klammer, HBSURFDAD and AllSeasonRider like this.
  20. TemeculaTim

TemeculaTim Timiteo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Hi Bernt, the day I rode with you, you rocked it on Jackass trail ... Im hoping to get back up there again this year as well. all dependent on work schedule, I'm bouncing between San Diego and Seattle all through the summer.
    Klammer likes this.