2nd full mOOn nOOb's DV 3/12-15

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by traveltoad, Mar 15, 2009.

1. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
    Larry,

Great ride reports... brings back all the good memories. :freaky

Speaking of tubes, I'm going to stock up on a few for future adventures. What is a safe all around size to buy for the GSA or if someone with an oange bike needs one?
  2. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    21" tubes will work for just about any occasion in a pinch to at least get you home.
  3. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, a 21" tube is the most universal. I know back in my real dirt bike days, I once installed a 21" into my 18" rear and it held just fine. There'd be a lot of extra tube in a 17" rear but would probably work - need to be more wary of pinch flats with the extra length tube in a smaller diameter wheel.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    larry, you're ordeal was worse than i was able to imagine....:lol3

lately, our rides are plagued with broken bikes, flats, and injuries. sorry that you partake in one of those......:rofl

it was a pleasure meeting you. hope in the future our path will cross again. if we have another big ride, i will try to remember to send you a pm...:deal
  5. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    This next installment is my ride back to Vegas from DV.

After assisting Jim in retrieving Dave and Joe after midnight, I finally got to bed after 1:30am. But as I usually do, I wake up early anyways and grab a shower. Vern wakes up a little later, gets his shower in and then we head to the restaurant for breakfast - a final chance to reminisce about the rides over the last few days.

Joel's interested in seeing what my front wheel looks like, so we walk over to my bike and he takes a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I take my time in geting packed up, and I'm finally ready to leave about 11:30am. I head over to fill up at the gas station and see Vern there. He got packed up quite a while before I did, but he's apparently been over at the campsite saying goodbyes. I fill my pig up with gas, say goodbye to Vern and then I head over to the campsite to say goodbye to the remaining few that are still getting packed. I hit the road about noon, heading east on 190.

My original thoughts were to just ride straight back to Vegas as I'm not too sure about my front wheel, but it seems to be riding just fine. So as I reach Stovepipe Wells I say the heck with it, I'm going to stop and get a single-use camera (since my digital is not working) and see a few more sights of DV. I check the air pressure in my front tire, and it seems to be holding fine. I figure as long as I stick to pavement I should be OK because if I do get a flat, I can probably get help if I'm on the pavement. And besides, it's a beautiful day for a ride!

So shortly after Stovepipe Wells, I head north towards Scotty's Castle. Not really a castle, it's a pretty large Spanish style villa basically in the middle of nowhere. There's quite a story to the place, but you can look that up on your own.

Almost as soon as I park, an older guy come over and starts talking to me about my bike, and agrees to take my picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time, I'll stop long enough to take the tour but I'm anxious to keep riding and seeing more sights.

Next stop - Ubehebe Crater, a large volcanic crater not far from Scotty's Castle.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I make it just another quick stop, and then I'm on my way to Rhyolite - a ghost town just outside the eastern boundary of Death Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A thought I had a picture of the famous Bottle House in Rhyolite, but apparently not. Rhyolite's an interesting place, with some rather unique artwork dotting it's landscape.

After Rhyolite, I'm hungry and decide to head to Beatty to get some food. I forget the name of the place I ate at, but I had a good pizza there and some interesting conversations with the locals. It was getting late so I decided to get a room at the Super 8 (or Motel 6 or something like that), and continue on the Vegas on Monday.

Monday morning rolls around, and I decide to head to Vegas via Badwater since I haven't seen that yet. So I head west from Beatty, and back into Death Valley. There's a lot more haze this morning in DV than the past few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped in Furnace Creek for breakfast.

[​IMG]

After breakfast, I continue south and decide to take Artist's Drive, a short 1-way loop road. It brings you a couple of areas where the minerals provide a coloful pallete to the landscape. In person, the colors are a lot more vibrant than what appears in my pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little further south, and I finally reach Badwater - the lowest elevation in the US at -282 feet below sealevel. It's interesting, but doesn't really lend itself to be a great picture spot (especially on such a hazy day).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After Badwater, I just continued on the pavement back to Vegas, through Shoshone and Pahrump. The tube in my front wheel is holding up!
  6. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    I had an absolutely fantastic time - a few problems is just all part of the adventure! Great to meet you Joel, and everyone else too.

I don't know exactly when, but I would love to join you down south for another ride in the future. Next time, I'll bring my own spare tubes! :lol3
  7. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    Actually, Dave and Joe had it worse - fighting at least two flats each, and then riding on flats in the dark.

As the say, any day on 2 wheels (even flat ones) beats a day in the office! :thumb
  8. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up Larry. Reading about the day from some many different points of view reminds me of the movie Vantage Point.

Glad you were able to enjoy some more of DV on the tubed tire.
  9. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed

Oddometer:
    JOE!! Nice to see you out there!!
  10. joefromsf

joefromsf Dark Happens Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi DP,

Long time no see. I've seen references in your thread to you having crashed your tiger and getting hurt :cry. Hope you heal soon and find another bike that suits you like the tiger did. See you at the next Ace night. :freaky
  11. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    A heads up on Jeff. He had to go back to the hospital. This time Cedars-Sinai. Things went downhill fast and he nearly died. After getting home he started to deteriorate. They found at least one blood clot, ruptured spleen, and a punctured lung full of fluid. He should be home soon.

GalacticGS, dood, you killed that wheel.
  12. terranova

terranova slow and steady

Oddometer:

What happened-- didn't they fix him up right in Ridgecrest? Did you talk to him?
  13. RiverRat

RiverRat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently Ridgecrest didn't do that great of a job. I talked to him a couple days ago. gonna call tomorrow and see if J is home.
    I'll keep you posted.
  14. dstock

dstock Adventurer n00b

Oddometer:
    Damn...I blew out my spleen in a mountain biking accident and almost didn't make it to the hospital. Can't believe they didn't see that at Ridgecrest, it's kinda hard to miss, he's lucky he made it Cedars.

It takes a bit to get the system back on track but long term spleen issues are rare. Although I don't know him, please give Jeff my best from a spleen-less survivor, there are lots of us out here!
  15. GalacticGS

Oddometer:
    RiverRat - Thanks for the update on Jeff. I think somebody mentioned earlier in the thread that Ridgecrest Hospital might be iffy on care - apparently they were right. Hope Jeff gets better soon!

You should have seen it before Joe and Dave pounded it back into a reasonably round shape for me.

Anyways, here's the replacement front wheel (just waiting for tires to be delivered):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course, it would be lonely without the matching rear:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those wheels look very stout! But they're gonna be harder to bash back into shape, no? :D
  17. NSFW

Oddometer:
    :eek1

waytoofunny....hahahaha
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:

LARRY, I CAN'T WAIT WHERE YOU'LL TAKE THOSE WHEELS.....:evil