2nd full mOOn nOOb's DV 3/12-15

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by traveltoad, Mar 15, 2009.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl all of a sudden a rock popped out underneath tt's left boot....:clap
  2. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    haha I just noticed that too :D

3. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    hey i have to be smarter them gravity:rofl
  4. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe, it's good to hear you made it back and that banged rim held up. 1am today though !? is there another story there ?

Joefromsf indicating the source of his concern about the ride back home...
    [​IMG]

A few hours later
    [​IMG]

5. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]Running through my pics and did not find many action shots, just location shots, but some are scenic.
    Friday I chased SFJoe, Dave, Jim and Steve doing the Hunter Mountain loop/ Lipponcott route and some other terrain only Joe knows about. No pics of the frozen boghole dump or the mud rut crash.
    My steed:
    [​IMG]

Lunch at the Lost Burro mine:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday, teamed up with KLRWoody, BigJohn and Richard to continue the mine theme.
    Old toll rd to Darwin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the Lap dance we saddle up
    [​IMG]
    gas up
    [​IMG]

say our prayers and head out
    [​IMG]

For Cerro Gordo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After visiting the Viking mine and Talc City we decide to take an easy ride out to the Corona mine. I hope someone has some pics of trail canyon but at the end is this:
    [​IMG]

and a short walk up a narrow canyon is this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple of gratuitous landscape shots[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a great time, met some more good people and Joel thanks for your effort, you look just like your Avatar.
  6. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Made it back to LV today (where I'll be for the next few days before heading back to the northern rain and snow).

Had an absolutely f*cking fantastic time!!! You guys now how to throw a hell of a party and ride! :thumb

I probably won't have access to my pics until later in the week (little problem with my camera that fell out of by tailbag Sat when I forgot to zip it up) so I'll post my ride report towards the end of the week. Let me say thanks to all for the great time, and the hospitality!!!

Thanks to Joel and everyone else involved with organizing this great event!

Thanks to DennaB and his buddy who I met at Las Vegas BMW on Thursday, and rode with them to Furnace Creek (via Greenwater Valley Rd), before continuing on to Panamint Springs!

Thanks to NoBrakes, and the rest of the guys that let me ride along with them on Friday (Nathan, Dan, and Rob - sorry if I got the names wrong). We had a hell of a good time riding Saline Valley Rd, Hunter Mountain, Teakettle Junction, Racetrack, and Lippincott!

Thanks to Vern for being a good roommate, introducing me around, and being a great riding partner!

Thanks to TravelToad, Joel, Vern, Jason, Jeff, and Jim who I started out with on the Sat ride! In the end, it was Vern and I riding back to Panamint Springs in the dark - some of you know the story, some will have to wait until I expand further (or you fill in some gaps in the stories by others and a little bit below).

Muchos Gracias to the three amigos (Dave, Jim, and Joe from SF):clap :clap :clap . When my front cast wheel ended up looking like spaghetti half way up Steel Pass on Sat, they pitched in like a Formula 1 pit crew to get me going again - first pounding my wheel back into shape, and then installing one of Dave's spare tubes. Little did we know at the time, that my good fortune would turn into total crap for them - four more flats between Dave and Joe (after I already had one of Dave's spare tubes working perfectly in my crunched front wheel). You guys saved my ass - but I feel sorry for the misfortune that seemed to run rampant after that.

And thanks to all others that I met - again I can just say that your a fantastic bunch of FF's that know how to have a great time! :freaky

The tally:
    Broken left rear turn signal cover - $5
    Broken mirror - $25
    New SPOKED wheels from Woody's to replace my f*cking cast wheels - $2000
    Death Valley Adventure and a bunch of new friends - PRICELESS

Damn - can't wait until I can do it again...
  7. NSFW

Oddometer:
    lots of nice pics you guys are bringing on so far...:clap

have to borrow some from dsm8 to get my story going...:evil

once we hit the chloride turn off, off we go and dust clouds everywhere
    [​IMG]

hugo and sito
    [​IMG]

nice, easy but fun trail
    [​IMG]

dang, who said it was easy...:ken
    [​IMG]

it's a nOObs ride...what else can't go wrong?......... :doh
    [​IMG]

i h8 the ball at the end of the lever anyway..:D
    [​IMG]

sito looks good here
    [​IMG]

wotevah keeping the rubber side down
    [​IMG]

stu impressed us riding the gsa
    [​IMG]

the loyal sweep...thanks dsm8
    [​IMG]

rsc450 first time on dirt on a 990S
    [​IMG]

one of the roads leading to chloride city
    [​IMG]

the only break we had that morning
    [​IMG]

riding out of the park; the nOObs don't make dust...:wink:

eggroll
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

hugo
    [​IMG]

sito
    [​IMG]

stu
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

end of chloride
    [​IMG]

moving on to titus
    [​IMG]
  8. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    As TT indicated it all started well enough, we arrived in camp and met up with TT, Big John and KLR Woody and were wisked off for our first ride in DV. Made our way across the valley to where Jasons KLR came to a unscheduled stop. Dealt with a grungy clutch cable and got going again. We were on the way around a sweeping curve, TT on the point with me and Jason following. Without warning, TT's rear wheel steps out to the right hard. This is a big WTF moment. TT's list of choices were (A) low side and body work, (B) high side and dental work (C) aim for the gravel and send the suit to the cleaners or (D) pull off a cool save and bring it in for a safe stop. Aaron went for (D) leaving me watching and almost going to the cleaners on his behalf. We stopped and found a very flat tire.
    Further investigation and some cuss words found this............

[​IMG]

A zillion miles of desert and TT finds the only nail. The repairs ensue!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A half circle hole about the size of a dime made a instant dump of air, nearly causing its own instant dump of 950.

[​IMG]

Patched

[​IMG]

Pumped

[​IMG]

Pumped extra special!

Got it all back together and reasoned it was getting late so we headed back to PS. Got as far as the sand dunes and the patch pooped.

Once again......sing along if you like.

[​IMG]

Pulled the wheel again, swap in a 21" tube, mounted up and made it back to PS just a few minutes past beer:thirty. 85 five miles of tire changin' mayhem it was.

This was Jasons (my brother) first outing on slab. He did great and I detected the appropriate amount of inside helmet giggling. He had a blast. Welcome aboard brudder!

[​IMG]

Got back and started to think about the next day and Saline Valley.
  9. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saturday I went with DannyG, Amit and Rebarman to Dante's View. From there you can see both Badwater at -180 feet and the snowy Telescope Peak at over 11,000 feet.

[​IMG]

Then we continued down Furnace Creek Wash Rd towards Shoshone, with a quick ride up some side roads looking for the abandoned mines. We couldn't find them, stopped for a short break only to find out that we have been resting right next to one.

[​IMG]

This dusty road has claimed its toll. None of us was spared of the mandatory dirt closeup check.
    [​IMG]

Rebarman action shot on Furnace Creek Wash Rd:
    [​IMG]

Then we ate lunch at Furnace Creek and split up. I went to take another look at Zabriskie point:

[​IMG]

Then rode back towards stovepipe and waited for the sunset at the dunes, which was a "meh":
    [​IMG]

Rode into camp after dark, campfire was ready, hotdogs were done.
    [​IMG]
  10. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    did you have one with out Joel ,so i can see the bags for my friends o giant loop ??
  11. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Big bikes on DV dirt roads. Good report, guys.

And check out the semi street tires on some of them.

Suz
  12. BigJohnBundy

BigJohnBundy Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer:
    It is alive and hungry!!:boid
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Left the house at 6 am.. Friday morning.. Did anyone here notice that it was March 13<SUP>th</SUP>?
    <o:p></o:p>
    Just a little ride over to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Death Valley</st1:place>. I&#8217;ll make it in time for a nice leisurely tour around Chloride and Titus today with a few friends&#8230;.
    I stop for me typical good luck fuel refill on the corner of interstate 15 and route 66. &#8220;this is gonna be a great trip&#8221; HEY&#8230; Woot? :huh The bike don&#8217;t start.. Nobody for a jump. Oh wait, I have AAA.. &#8220;you guys send a truck for to Jump my bike so I can ride to a shop and get a new battery?&#8221; ..&#8221; No? you say that when you do that, the bikes explode?&#8221; :csm Hmmm, never heard of that before unless you are an uneducated mechanic studied in the field.. I say fine; send a truck to haul my ass 5 miles to the nearest Honda dealer please. The truck gets here and the driver says to me. "Sure we can Jump you":evil SWEET!
    I call Me wife and tell her of the good news that I will be purchasing a new battery because I am stuck here in Rancho Cucamunga. She says something like. &#8220;maybe its a sign you shouldn&#8217;t go&#8221;, :sweeti Wimins what a worry they can be.. I tell her don&#8217;t worry, &#8220;I&#8217;m an ADVenture Rider now&#8221;! :pynd I&#8217;ll call when I get to Death Valley. (who can figure out what happens with that small and insignificant statement?).:lurk
    One picture to set the mood&#8230;.
    [​IMG]
  13. wotevah

wotevah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, I had another one but I deleted it by accident. Maybe Joel has one. I meant to ask you about those bags, they look pretty roomy and won't creep towards the exhaust like mine did... where did you find them ?
  14. BigJohnBundy

BigJohnBundy Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer:
    I finally get my battery and install it.:clap I feel bad because I was so caught up in the trip that I forgot to take pictures of this activity… don’t worry though. I made up for it later.:thumb
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I hit the road finally at 09:30 and good to go. Not anything exciting except for the B2 bomber just cruising overhead low and slow. (not my picture) :eek1
    [​IMG]
    I never seen that before and it was amazing. Again no picture because I am an idiot. :doh
    A little further and I get barnyarded by an F18 flying low and fast… yeah I know… Pictures would be nice.:confused
    I was cruising real good just before Trona and I see TravelToad poke’n along like he is trying to keep some extra rubber on his tires for later. :gerg After I pass him with a Salute:fyyff , he catches up and we ride the rest of the way into Trona. He gets fuel. I get a drink and we head on into the park. TT get’s to some dirt trails and splits off. I just keep truckin on.
    [​IMG]
    Now that I’m here, out comes the camera and the snapping begins.
    [​IMG]
    I found the spot for me.:jose
    [​IMG]
    All set. Now where’s H)8; I’m ready to go riding. :ricky The first group left already so I wasn’t going to make Chloride but Titus was in the plan and I would catch up there. KLRwoody shows up, then TravelToad, JAB and Jason. We all gas up and head out to Titus for a very relaxing cruise.:nod
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah; We all will be back by 5 pm to finish setting up camp and get the beers going. No Problem.. I did not mention it was Friday 13<SUP>th</SUP> did I?:zilla
    Woody thought it would be okay to leave all his tools and stuff in the truck because, HEY, It’s just a leisurely ride over to Titus and back. I think Woody forgot what day it was.:baldy
    [​IMG]
    Travel toad took all the road pictures of the whole gang.. I’m very photo illiterate. (but I’m learning ever so slowly):jjen .
    After all the break downs, TT give us permission to keep on going and now it is just Woody and I rolling through Titus.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just before we get into the canyon I’m looking for Woody…he rides very fast and he should be here. :bow I go back and there he is looking like he just found out he couldn’t have anymore beer for the rest of his life.:becca Poor Poor Woody….
    [​IMG]
    He had a flat and nothing else except his cool KLR factory tool kit. :poser Having never changed a tire while on the road he was very nervous about how WE was going to get out of this mess. I of course, assured him that I also, never changed a tire before.
    This news made him smile.:kboom
    [​IMG]
    But I did have some tools and a tube.:clap It was like watching two monkeys at the Zoo after someone threw in a couple of baseball bats.:amazon Two hours later we were ready to put air in the tire. I use those little Co2 carts. I had four. It took three to set the beads and give him enough air to ride back to stovepipe and fill up to max pressure. Pretty nice!! He’s got a few pictures of the fun.
    Before the flat..
    [​IMG]
    After the flat. The shadows getting mighty long.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Proceeding through the canyon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was like riding though an ocean of baseballs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We made it back safe and sound with new skills. :flug
    It was great that we were camped so close to JAB and Jason because they saw we were very thirsty and came right out with some liquid refreshments…:freaky
    [​IMG]
    TToad was now an expert tire changer fixit guy. He did three changes within 3 hours.. Needless to say this was the beginning of the greatest rubber movement in ADV history.
    ItsaDM (Gary) and Richard where just taking in the whole ambiance of the place.
    [​IMG]
    Fire - - -Good!!
    [​IMG]
    See yah in the morning! (oh.. by the way. I have no real phone service here and thus I have not called my SO yet..):lurk
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Larry those guys you rode with on Friday were brokenspoke, gratis, the austrian, natethenOObie, and ?

Wish you well on your ride back to Washington. You get the award for being the farthest participant but also rode in and out on a bike.....:thumb and survived...:D

I'll keep you in mind on the next event...most likely this coming November, the 3rd nOObs dv rALLy, however there could be a couple more good ones before that date.

hey lc...this is a great pic; thanks for finding the time to snap it.
    [​IMG]
  16. BigJohnBundy

BigJohnBundy Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer:
    This ride report is moving too slow... :huh

BUMP..:lurk
  17. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
    People must be hard at work.....

TToad, where's the good stuff?:ricky

[​IMG]
  18. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Ok, so Sat morning we get up grab some breakfast and head out. The plan is to head to the springs... Steel Pass... Eureka Dunes... Ubehebe... Teakettle Juntion... Racetrack... Lippincott... and back to camp. That was the plan...

Of course I was not very good at all with the camera... so let's see what I have here... as we made our way down the South Pass into Saline Valley towards the springs:

Jason
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JAB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

H8chains
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spafxr
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A.Vern
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I missed A.Vern's most beautiful power-slide, with the rear wheel kicked our 18-24 inches that he rode over the crest.
    [​IMG]

I did not get any photos of GalacticGS, probably because he was going way way too fast on that GS! :eek1

Hmmm... an omen of things to come? :huh
    [​IMG]
  19. A.Vern

A.Vern One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer:
    Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
    TToad, I would of tried to start the slide earlier, but I didn't want to dent that beautiful KTM with any debris.:lol3
  20. BigJohnBundy

BigJohnBundy Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer:
    Its another Great Day in DV; and it’s not Friday the 13<SUP>th</SUP> anymore:D
    I hook up with Gary, Richard, and Woody as we get to go Mining….
    Our first run is over to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Darwin</st1:place></st1:City>. We chose not to go see the falls because a hike was required and we were not hiking today. :ddog
    [​IMG]
    Pass a few other mines on the way up to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Darwin</st1:place></st1:City>.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I’m just goofing around with some artsy stuff.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got a shot of <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Gary</st1:place></st1:City>
    [​IMG]
    One of Woody
    [​IMG]
    Still making our way to town..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what this is..
    [​IMG]
    Lap dances had by one and all!!!
    [​IMG]
    Local Post Office and gas station
    [​IMG]
    One final dance and Off to <st1:place w:st="on">Cerro Gordo</st1:place>..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Local fire station.
    [​IMG]
    Nice!
    [​IMG]
    Salute from Woody.
    [​IMG]
    Next Stop…. <st1:place w:st="on">CERRO GORDO</st1:place>..
    [​IMG]
    (Still haven’t call the little lady yet):lurk