2nd Gen. Ducati Multistrada (2013 and newer)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Salvo, Sep 22, 2012.

1. O Trader

O Trader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tuneboy cruise control. Had the jog + / - button added to the left hand side handle bar as well. Was done when they cleaned up the mapping after the de-cat/ LV mid-pipe installation was done.

Now the bike does not fall in the hole when you take of in 1st gear and will power wheelie in 2nd gear just rolling the throttle on hard.
  2. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm constantly fiddling with the compression and rebound damping settings on my current bike (not a Ducati) trying to find a good compromise for smooth and rough roads. Yea, I know no such compromise exits. Even the ability to electronically switch suspension modes which is now on a lot of bikes isn't a great attraction to me as the roads I ride can change dramatically every couple of miles. Last thing I want is to be distracted playing with a switch while on the move. I can change my rear rebound damping just as fast on the shock if I pull up as play with an electronic setting.

So to the question, obviously the Skyhook idea of the suspension automatically adjusting in response to the road surface seems on paper the perfect solution. So does it achieve the goal of good damping settings as the road surface dramatically changes in the curves from one corner being billiard table smooth to the next being C grade rutted crap.

Thanks,
  3. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

I like it, and I'm no suspension expert but I've felt it "adjust" on the fly to differing road surfaces. I've also felt it "tighten up" in a corner to keep the corner exit under throttle smooth and hold its line without pushing the front tire.. like it's stiffening the rear so it won't push on exit. Or it'll adjust to "loosen" when I go over some rough bumps.
    Overall, I like it, and I don't usually fiddle with the settings, other than changing riding modes. Go test ride one.
  4. JohnCW

JohnCW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Brian,
    Thanks for the feedback. The problem with a test ride is the dealer is bang smack in the middle of the city, want's to accompany you on the half-hour test ride, but the roads that I really want to test it on are an hour or so ride from the dealer.

That the 2015 model has wheelie control is really attractive. I may be an odd ball but I was being put of the bike by just about every review or Youtube vidoe saying how easy it was to wheelie. Last thing I want in a bike, I want em to stay down and go.
  5. foster2380

foster2380 n00b

Oddometer:
    So I purchased a 13 GT this past weekend and love it. Except as everyone says the windscreen (even the GT) is loud. I'm fine with it but I know my wife will complain :cry. I'm debating between the Ceebailey and the calsci screens. Anyone do any two up with either, our have other positive reviews about another screen? For reference, I am 6' and my wife is 5'11".

And just to be sure, there are no "hiss flaps", eagle wings or whatever for the 13s correct?
  6. 4wlow

4wlow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the GT screen for mine and added a Laminar Lip. It made a big difference in noise and turbulence even in the lowest setting and I am 6' 3"
    The only drawback is it just does not look cool if you are worried about that.
  7. Shizoku

Shizoku Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've a '13 GT as well, is the 'noise' you are referring to, a buzzing or rattling sound? If so, Ducati had a 'fix it' memo out to dealers not long after the bike was released. I took mine in and the pulled they screen and added some new rubber bushing...noise gone.

DaveInValencia
    http://daveisontheroadagain.blogspot.com/
  8. foster2380

foster2380 n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, there were two things I suppose. One is just a loud roar from the wind, and the second was a high pitched whine from the left side at certain speeds. I didnt get much seat time at all before dropping it off for recall work so I can't provide much insight, but it seemed to occur on deceleration at a certain rpm. But my main concern is trying to get rid of the roar.
  9. foster2380

foster2380 n00b

Oddometer:
    Do you have any pictures? I just called the guys at laminar today to ask if the lip will fit on the GT screen. He said he didn't know that screen was stock and had never heard of the granturismo model. He looked up a picture and said he didn't think the lip would work with that screen.
  10. Shizoku

Shizoku Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine makes no noise...but it was loud as hell before the new rubber bushing were installed (hummed/rattled). Check with your dealer to see if the new bushings were installed on your bike, if not, have them do it...it's free. There's also a recall to do with the throttle cable. My dealer actually called me on the phone to let me know about it. So get your windshield done when they do the recall for the throttle cable.
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/ducati-recalls-multistrada-1200-motorcycles-040315.html

Dave In Valencia
    http://daveisontheroadagain.blogspot.com/
  11. 4wlow

4wlow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It fits, I used the extra attachments sent with the lip and simply moved it from my stock screen to the GT screen. The GT screen is the same shape just a little larger
  12. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    Looks like the 1200S DVT (not Deep Vein Thrombosis!) offers a LOT of solutions. It's a lot of motorcycle tech for the money.
    Might be the bike to get me off my Caponord - apart from the small matter of $28,000 or whatever...
  13. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You guys really get to bear the brunt of a "damn the torpedoes" approach to pricing. The bikes always seem to be 25% or more cheaper (dollar for dollar) here. Given your dollar has been trading at a steep discount to ours lately, the impact seems even more brutal.
  14. Buzzworm

Buzzworm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fuel Sensors

Is anyone else going through fuel sensors like candy? My '13 just munched sensor number 2 after less than 100 miles.
  15. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went through 3 in under 100 miles. The first one went out at 23 miles, the second puked at 68, the third went out at 89, the 4 th has hung on to 3200 so far.
  16. Krazyjohnny

Krazyjohnny Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love this bike. Just got back from a 1200 mile weekend through the Ouachitas and Ozarks of Arkansas and Oklahoma. It really runs through the turns and hills strongly and confidently. Went through the rear tire in the first 2500 miles and then cashed in the front at 3722 miles. Replaced them with the Pirelli Angel GTs.
  17. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    How happy is dual spark engine below 3K? I wouldn't expect it to have lots of punch down there being a Ducati and all, but if you find yourself between 2 and 3K in a high-ish gear will it shake and protest?
  18. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    Buzz, Ducati.MS has a dedicated forum that might be of more help. I think it's good that you hear from others on the bike in question but you're now asking a bit of a different question than the one you posed in the 2015 DVT thread. Running any recent Multi (or other big v-twin bike) in 5th? or 6th gear at 2k rpm isn't going to yield very good results nor a pleasant riding experience. But that's only a guess as I've never really thought about doing so, nor have I found the need to.

The Dual Spark motor does run smoothly at low revs.
  19. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get the right tool for the right job. Oalvarez may be a little more diplomatic than me, but he's giving you good advice. I read your other posts too and if your priority is running at less 3k rpm in a high gear, you'd be happier on a cruiser. Short stroke high performance v-twins aren't made for that rpm range. In first or second gear ok, but not in the higher gears. If you really want to enjoy what a Multistrada 1200 is about, you'd need to adjust your riding style to fit what it's made for, or you'll just set yourself up for disappointment. Are you used to a lower revving motor?
    oalvarez likes this.
  20. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, I would never lug it down to 2K in high gear that's silly, I know what kind of bike this is. What I'm wondering is if you want to be lazy and stay in third gear for a slowish corner, will it pull from 2500rpm without protest? My ZX14 does not like to be asked of much below 3K exiting uphill corners and it bugs me.