2nd Gen. Ducati Multistrada (2013 and newer)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Salvo, Sep 22, 2012.

1. O Trader

O Trader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate. Much appreciated.
    So one on the front lever and the other on the ABS unit under the seat... ?
  2. MotoMutley

MotoMutley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Close. I put both on the ABS unit beneath the seat, like so:

IMG_20140718_185652_077.jpg
  3. O Trader

O Trader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Thanks for the photo.
    Is that position no issue for the front, being lower in the circuit than the lever height ?

Any idea why they are sucking in air ?
  4. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    It's not that the rear brake is sucking air, it's that the OEM catalytic converter absolutely cooks the rear brake reservoir and the fluid within. Usually, within about 1500 miles or so, your rear brake fluid is black.

There are options and you're part way there on one:
    1. Bleed and change out the fluid, frequently. The speed bleeders help in this regard.
    2. Lose the catalytic convert. Not only do you save 20 pounds, but the bike will run cooler and you'll likely gain a bit of power back. Arrow makes a mid pipe that bolts right in. You'll need to have a bike shop reflash your ECU to get it to run its best. In so doing, your rear brake fluid won't be cooked all the time.
  5. O Trader

O Trader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    BobcatSig, thanks for the info. I can confirm the fluid is black. I have already ditched the cat for a mid pipe and remap. I will now look a installing some insulation shielding around the rear brake master cylinder assembly.

I have noticed that levers already have some sort of OEM bleeders installed on them. I will have to check the rear lever to see if it also has one and change out the fluid.
  6. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    You could work on a shield, but since you've removed your cat - it would be wasted effort. When I bought my '12 with 12k miles, I had the dealer flush and bleed the rear brake. I've since put over 4k miles on the bike and the fluid still looks new. I have a full Termi system on mine.

If you're a DIY'er, you might try a trick that the dealer did on my bike: freeze the brake fluid overnight. Apparently, that forces all of the contaminants and water out of the fluid, keeping it better, longer.
    sierrastone likes this.
  7. O Trader

O Trader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent... thanks for the tip : )
  8. Flightar

Flightar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is on the third fuel sensor in 16K miles...aggravating as all hell. I'm also on my second set of heated grips during that time.
  9. Flightar

Flightar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It will protest...mostly due to the high gearing.
  10. MotoMutley

MotoMutley Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha same thing here. Third sensor, second set of heated grips. The faulty fork leg (containing the Skyhook electronics) was also replaced under warranty. It still clunks but just not quite as loudly now.
  11. duckman44

duckman44 Living the dream!

Oddometer:
    2013 MTS GT - fork leg,fuel tank ,2 fuel sensors,dash display,rear brake snsor.
    I still love this thing. It must be the same as having an Italian super model as a wife.
    You over look the high price and enjoy all of the good.
  12. Badjuju

Badjuju Biker Billy

Oddometer:
    OK, I've ridden dirt for many decades and finally ended up drinking the orange kool-aid several years ago...and much to my surprise, found it somewhat flat and left a bad taste in my mouth. Not dissing those that love them Katooms, but I just didn't see that the benefits outweighed the disadvantages over the course of years of ownership. So....long story short, I've always had a liter bike (or three) in the stable until I turned 65, when I decided that my nice dependable and relatively safe WeeStrom was all I needed for my late-in-life riding pleasures. Turns out, safe gets boring after a few months, so I'm leaning heavily toward sampling some of the fine red that Italy has to offer. Specifically, I WANT a Multistrada!!!

I'm looking at a '14 S Touring with incredibly low miles and showroom appearance, but know little about the quirks of the thing beyond what I learned from reading this entire thread. So, swelling tanks still a problem on '13s...but not all the time. Might be related to EtOH fuel, but might not. Well that helps. And the clunking front forks...whoops, not all the time. Could be software related. Could be a supplier quality defect subject to replacement. Or not. Fuel level sensor may or may not work, and even if it does, it needs replacing every 300 miles, or 3000 miles, or never....if the owner has blue eyes. Oh, but ride the thing!

R I D E T H E T H I N G!!!

It magically makes all the flaws that shouldn't exist in a $20,000 motorcycle disappear. Except when you go to resell the worthless bitch, when she becomes less valuable than an ugly hooker with a $500 a day crack habit.

Finally, you get to my question: (Yaaaay!!!)
    I'm still gonna make the 2 hour drive to see this mythical beast and throw a leg over her and maybe even take her for a little trot if the owner is amenable, but help me with instructions on what to look for. What does a swollen tank look like/where does the swelling occur? Any weak links to check? How do I evaluate whether the e-suspension is working if I ride it? If I don't ride it? Any previous/current recalls that I need to be aware of? One of the big issues I have is there are no authorized dealers locally; nearest service is about 100 miles away. I can do routine maintenance chores, but recalls and major fixes, especially software related, are gonna be a pain. So...what say the cognoscenti?
  13. duckman44

Oddometer:
    I have a few pictures of fuel tank before it was replaced. I'll find those later today and post them for you.
    As far as the clunking fork, mine was so severe that you could not miss it. Even accelerating hard and unloading the front would cause a loud clunk.
    I have had my new fork leg for over a year and 10,000 miles. It is just now starting to clunk again. I will not spend $2500 to replace it though.
    You can test the suspension before you ride the bike. Changing from mode to mode or from single to passenger and luggage, you will here and see the bike rise or fall with the change.
  14. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ducati dealer and tech tells me that putting a different sized tire (other than the oem spec size) on this bike will "possibly and likely" mess with ABS and DTC. Thus, it could "possibly and likely" void any warranty related to ABS and DTC.

I see pics of '13+ MTS's with TKC 80's and such...
    Has tire size change messed up the ABS and or DTC on '13 plus MTS's?
    Am I not looking in the right place to find a better variety of tires in the spec size for the '14 MTS?

As per the warranty, I get it that any excuse an insurance company or manufacturer can use as an excuse to not pay will be taken.

Please forgive me if this was addressed in another forum...I have looked endlessly and have not seen anything that answers these questions.
  15. BobcatSig

Oddometer:
    It might; tough to say. The MTS tire size isn't that uncommon. The rear, at 190, is primarily sport bike and sport touring territory - plenty of options there for you. I know that a 180 TKC 80 will fit the rear of an MTS, I just don't know what affect is has on the TCS and ABS.

What sort of tire are you after?
  16. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seconding BobCatSig's question - what sort of tire are you after that you'd need to change size? Supersport track tires come in OEM sizes, great sport touring tires come in OEM sizes, even the 90/10 dual sport tires (conti trail attack 2s?) come in OEM sizes, and TKC80s of course - what tire type do you need that doesn't come in OEM sizes, or did some good buddy give you some advice about changing tire sizes to do some magic trick to increase performance / tire wear / gas mileage, etc?

Or! Are you doing the "darksiding" trick of putting a car tire on the rear for longer freeway durability?
  17. shil

shil deus ex machina Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lookit what I got!

Multi.jpg

It's a 2013 Multistrada S Touring. Just over 12K km - it's just broken in!
    First real ride yesterday. Big fun!
    Craneguy likes this.
  18. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    something like a TKC 80 or Shinko 705. I could only find a 170. I've seen lots of picks with these tires on a MTS. Wondering if they experienced problems with ABS/DTC?
  19. duckman44

Oddometer:
    TKC is available in a 180.
    I have gone through 2 of them.
    Handle well. Wear OK.
  20. duckman44

Oddometer:
    Forgot, No issues with ABS/DTC
    sierrastone likes this.