2nd Gen. Ducati Multistrada (2013 and newer)

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Salvo, Sep 22, 2012.

1. sierrastone

sierrastone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anakee Wild. Any experience?
  2. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    The TKC 80 comes in a 180. I have a set in my garage.
  3. shil

shil deus ex machina Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, I’ve just hooked up a Scosche dual USB adapter to my 2013 Multi’s GPS power lead.
    I hid that in the fusebox and am powering an old iPhone 4S that I use as my GPS.
    Easy hookup. The power LED glows on the Scosche and the iPhone lights up when I start the bike.

Problem I’m having is that the phone uses more power than it’s getting.
    If I’m using the GPS and the display is on the phone eventually draws down the battery and shuts off.
    If the phone’s off but plugged in it eventually powers back up to 100%.

Any idea if it’s the power supply from the bike? Does the Ducati GPS lead supply limited amperage?
    Or is the Scosche no good?
  4. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    This isn't unusual. It's why I went to a dedicated GPS unit. Phones often draw more power than the charger can supply, especially with screen, data and GPS always on.
  5. shil

Oddometer:
    Could be, but this setup has worked before, on my KLR where the charger was wired straight to the battery.
    The charger supplied more than the phone would use.
  6. shil

Oddometer:
    Tried the phone with a cigarette lighter USB charger in the car this morning: it’s working as expected.
    There’s a problem with either the Scosche or the power supplied to that. I’ll try it elsewhere and see what happens.
  7. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer:
    My Garmin runs directly to the battery and my iPhone (in Motech tank bag) plugged into the elec socket on the dash (Burns Moto USB plug, designed to charge the phone)...works perfectly.
  8. shil

Oddometer:
    It’s the Mulit's GPS power lead. There just aren’t enough amps in there.
    I’ve connected the USB charger directly to the battery. Everything works as it should.
    The iPhone now shows me where I’m going and takes a charge at the same time.
    Go CANBUS!
  9. shil

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a 2013 Touring. Mostly I think the seat is OK, sometimes I think it sucks.
    Is one of these $300 better? What do you think?
  10. hubilado

hubilado Motoquiero Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried an aftermarket seat....as the OEM seat seems fine to both my wife and I. After riding for a full day, we're ready to get off the bike, but that really isn't strictly related to the seat; we're just ready to get off.
  11. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try an Alaska sheepskin first before you shell out for a new seat.. I love mine, it helped a lot with long trips. That said, a beadrider or airhawk might also be good and cheap.
  12. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally got out to ride my 2014 S Touring for the first real distance in a few months. Injured knee on May 9 and haven't ridden the Multi at all until last month for a couple miles. Took it in for service in June with 7350 miles and they found the exhaust flapper stuck open and spent an extra day getting it to move. So on the ride today I decided to open her up a bit and it wouldn't pull for shit above about 5k rpm. I thought it was a bog or flat spot in that area but it was dog slow. 2nd and 3rd gear cranking the throttle on and it just made noise and stopped accelerating. I'm thinking maybe gas since it's the same gas that was in it in May but I wonder if the exhaust flapper is now stuck partly closed. I'll change out the gas first then try to get it to the dealer to be checked out if changing the gas doesn't fix it. Any other thoughts? My 500 exc accelerates harder than the Multi now.
  13. shil

Oddometer:
    New Calsci shorty!

Attached Files:

Kellaupat likes this.
  14. Bungholio

Bungholio Long timer

Oddometer:
    Checked out the exhaust flapper valve and it was stuck partway closed. Disconnected cable, forced closed the valve and wound on a spring to the cable end to keep tension on the cable and servo motor. Rode again today and it's back to surging ahead with authority. Yay.

UPDATE: Called dealer to see if this was a warranty item and they said no and only offered an aftermarket exhaust as an option. I contacted Ducati and they called back this morning and said the same thing, it was rust causing the valve to stick. I'll just leave it disconnected and not worry about it. Here is a picture of my rusty valve, don't see anything to cause it not to work so must be inside that is corroded. [​IMG]

Maybe condensation is forming in exhaust after shutting down and drains to the lower pivot shaft and sits there corroding the shaft. Maybe they should have mounted it horizontal. Or at least make it removable for service, and speaking of that I don't recall any notice of servicing the valve at regular intervals. Maybe I missed it in the maintenance table.
    BobcatSig likes this.