2nd nOOb vaLLey raLLy - Nov. 7 to 9 2008

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Nov 10, 2008.

1. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    Thanks to Redbull Addict and everyone one else for organizing this unorganized event. I had a a great time and enjoyed meeting all you FF.

I rode out from San Clemente on Wednesday afternoon. I got kind of a late start.

I gassed up at Ortega Hwy. and road it over to Moreno Valley and then to Reche Canyon.

[​IMG]

I then road up the 18 to Crestline and then the 138 to Silverwood Lake where I camped for the night. It was a fun ride up the hill, lots of twists.

[​IMG]

It got a little chilly that night. It was 30 degrees when I checked at midnight. But luckily it warmed up to 32 by the time I started to pack up.

[​IMG]

After a little dried eggs and bacon I was ready to get moving again

[​IMG]

My hands went numb packing the gear and bike up but it soon warmed up a bit.
    [​IMG]

Silverwood Lake was pretty. It seems like I shot into the sun the whole trip.

[​IMG]

I followed the 138 and all of its tight twists and turns.

[​IMG]

I then took the track that Matt posted on the thread. It was a beautiful ride over a pass and then into open desert. Thanks Matt for posting those.

My first obstacle.

[​IMG]

It was a five foot drop on either side of the road and the off road looked to nasty. I thought I could take it slow around the edge and make it ok. The result was this.
    [​IMG]

I had to unpack the bike to pick it back up. The mud was so slippery the front wheel would slide toward the edge of the road. I was the first of many drops for the trip. Luckily most when the bike was unloaded.

I continued through the desert.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was perfect out there, very little dust and great traction.

The track hit the slab a couple of times.
    An old gas station.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This place is right off the 395

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The track hit the 395 just outside of Ridgecrest. It was getting late so I skipped the Pinnacles. I've seen them before and I wanted to get to camp before dark.

[​IMG]
  2. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    The next morning I was excited to ride Goler and Mengel.
    These guys have brass balls for riding their 250s out there.
    [​IMG]

A photo of the tent pre-storm winds.

[​IMG]

We geared and grouped up and headed to Ballarat where we met up with a whole gaggle of FF.
    [​IMG]

Routes where discussed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then we where off again on the trail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next was Goler wash and I learned dual sport motorcycling is not only an action sport but a spectator sport as well. The carnage ensued.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After all the pieces where gathered and tethered to the correct moto we continued on to Mr. Manson Cabin.
    BrokenSpoke and Windrat discuss the days adventures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rammer and I filled out applications to become docents at the Manson estate.

[​IMG]

TrailTrick ponders the insanity of the Manson cult.

[​IMG]

The Austrian is having a good time despite the Helter Skelter.

[​IMG]

Onward toward Mengal Pass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rammer makes it look easy.

[​IMG]
  3. kj7687

kj7687 KJ - just KJ - okay :)

Oddometer:
    Davebro: "And for the record, boys and girls, last year Pete was the only one in our group to successfully ride up the Mengel boulder field on the way outta DV. So he may talk about going slow, but the dude can ride."

Dude that's insane! I think after a few tries I could probably make it up the Mengal rock drop, but I'd say my chance of making it up on the first try would be about 20 percent lol. That right there was some tough shiz :D When I rode DOWN that section, I ended up putting a foot down for a second...going up you'd also have to worry about keeping the front wheel down. Anyone who does that (especially on a bigger bike) can really ride!
  4. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    OK, here are the videos. The first is a repeat, so those that have seen it its 205.

The second is the new one... I probably have one more to do. So send me your pics of yourselves. You'll see what I need...

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDE1Mzk4MjMyJms9TFh3SFMmYT02NTEzMzczXzJqRUxwJnU9cmVkYnVsbGFkZGljdA==" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDE1Mzk4MjMyJms9TFh3SFMmYT02NTEzMzczXzJqRUxwJnU9cmVkYnVsbGFkZGljdA==" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=ZT0xJmk9NDE4MjY2Mjk4Jms9Q0hBM1kmYT02NTYwOTU1X2pUWGZTJnU9cmVkYnVsbGFkZGljdA==" /><embed src="https://cdn.smugmug.com/ria/ShizVidz-2008092306.swf" flashVars="s=ZT0xJmk9NDE4MjY2Mjk4Jms9Q0hBM1kmYT02NTYwOTU1X2pUWGZTJnU9cmVkYnVsbGFkZGljdA==" width="640" height="360" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Hope you guys like it.
  5. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's not me! Those pictures are Rammer (James) I gota give credit where it's due. He sure was an animal.

Nate

6. the_austrian

the_austrian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    great pics aron can't wait to see some more. and thx for all the sweeping on our rides.:clap
  7. LIL ZING

LIL ZING Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RBA holy shit that has to be one of the funniest video's ever. The end with the names is bad ass and the H8chains and davebro is rap up is classic. Not sure I will show my mom it I got kind of a potty mouth. Think I was all amped up. Thinking of what could of happened. :kboom Thanks for the stickers too. Not a computer guys so if there was a way when you get all your videos done I could buy a DVD of em I would sure be greatful. Know there is a way to burn it on a cd but I would more than likely wipe the computer out.:becca One more thing you weren't on the end with the names everyone needs to see who did this work!
  8. LIL ZING

LIL ZING Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    also do you always do your adving with a spare helmet?.....:lol3

No only when I ride with you guys and have to go extra fast or be left for the wolfs.:cromag
  9. fmfpunk

fmfpunk Hooligan in training

Oddometer:
    RBA: love the vids. Thx for all the effort. I've made a handfull of vids of buddys mtn biking, so i can appreciate the work that goes into them.

Marty
  10. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm feeling pretty good about how I come off in this. :rofl

Excellent job Tom! :clap :clap :clap
  11. Redbull Addict

Oddometer:

Dave,

Sorry I have to keep re-using the same shots of you climbing up in Goler Wash, I just don't have any other good footage of you. You're a much better rider than the footage represents.

Gents - Thanks for the kudos on the videos! It's much appreciated! Does wonders for my ego. :D

I think I have enough footage to do one more.
  12. DaveBro

DaveBro Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's because none exists! :D

No, no - it's pretty accurate!

(De-n00bing is a process, de-n00bing is a process, de-n00bing...)
  13. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

sure we do....and watching the video made me really realize we had more fun that we thought we had...:clap

thanks rba to everything including the FREE campsite....:D
  14. El Diablo

El Diablo Mama I'm goi'n fast!

Oddometer:
    Hey Tom, those videos are great :1drink All of you that liked what Tom did should buy him a pallet of RedBull :evil
  15. Redbull Addict

Oddometer:

hahaha....I love that idea. We'll have a DVD/Redbull exchange program. If you want all 3 videos in high-def, you have to send me a 6 pack of Redbull! :D
  16. Rammer

Rammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell no! The true animal award goes to the guys taking GS's down! :bow :freaky

RBA: Great video! Thanks for putting in the time! :beer
  17. reBARman

reBARman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  18. SurfAwave69

SurfAwave69 Adventurer

Oddometer:

What helmet cam are you using?
  19. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea! I saw the video with Zing and I laughd out loud. "I aint doing non of that tight turning bullshit" Now that's good stuff.

Nate
  20. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok folks, I have some time to get some more of the report finished.

The next step for my group was Mengal pass. I have seen the pictures and couldn't figure out what the problem was. It's not untill you actually see that you say "What the hell are we doing up here?"

Here is the 950 in front of the rocks:

[​IMG]

and here is Rammer doing his thing:

[​IMG]

That's prety much all I had for Mengal. We didn't stop much and kept a prety good pace going through there. I couldn't believe how many bikes were actually going that way. I must have passed 40 bikes some moving some hanging around taking a break. It's was prety cool.

Then it was off to West side rd.

Also, before Mengal, I had some fuel issues. I had a slow fuel leak from my cross-over line. I had shut my two valves off and was only using the left gas tank on the 950.

I'll finish up Tuesday. I need to run out the door.

Nate