2nd nOOb vaLLey raLLy - Nov. 7 to 9 2008

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Nov 10, 2008.

1. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:

That's a personal attack to all Trials riders! :lol3 :lol3
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    so i get this email with attachments...and the lazy ass (or too cheap to get a smug account) wants me to post his pics....no worry, he helped me picked up my bike over a hundred times in a span of 1 year riding together :D

hey doood....i'm going to leave no comment and you fill it up....:ken

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

from the pics.... i can tell that sito's one lucky guy...he didn't get hit hard by the sandstorm and snow.
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    If anyone hasn't noticed.....:wink:

WHERE THE HECK IS MOOTSUNO? :deal

[​IMG]
  4. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gents!

yea, I was cracking up as I was editing it. I must have seen it 2 or 3 dozen times and its still funny to me.

I might try to make one more and then stitch them together on to a DVD for zing. Cost = 6 pack of Redbull.
  5. LIL ZING

LIL ZING Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shit that's way cheaper than a new computer! When I get your address I am going to ship a six pack your way for the first installment of the price and on arival of the DVD I will Send the rest your way. Did I mention going to send the big one's.
  6. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:

Yea baby!!! :clap :lol3
  7. LIL ZING

LIL ZING Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To tell the truth boys by the time I got to megal on the gs I was so worn out that didn't think I could hold the bike up if it tipped one way or the other so the rest is history. Just glad the popperazzi were there to catch it on tape.:thumbup :rofl Thanks again everyone!:clap
  8. MSW1

MSW1 Lost and Confused

Oddometer:
    First, I'm not sure I should post this here, as I didn't actually make it out to ride with you guys, but I have to tell you that everyone's posts on the organizing thread inspired me to get out there and do it even if I was too late for the rally.

I was all jacked up to go - bike prepped for my first dirt experience and everything - when work got in the way. I had a project come up that I didn't finish until Sunday. I was beyond disappointed. I was pissed off. So I said the hell with it, and went by myself. I figured I'd miss you guys, but I wasn't going to let all of this momentum go to waste.

I left Sunday afternoon and didn't get to DV until very late night night/early morning (500-ish miles down from SFBA). I'm sorry to hear that you all got beaten up by the weather on Sunday. By the time I woke up Monday a.m., it was gorgeous. Tuesday and Wednesday were even better.

Since I was alone and it was my first experience on dirt, I didn't try anything too challenging. Chloride Cliff, Skidoo, Augereberry, Cottonwood, etc. I only took my camera one day, but I don't really deserve to post a lot of pics anyway, since I missed the rally. Here are a couple from Wednesday:

Weather was 70+ degrees and sunny.

[​IMG]

Quite a moonrise near Wildrose.

[​IMG]

Next year, I will NOT be denied!
  9. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    RBA, you will get some redbull from me. Great job on everything.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:
    sorry to hear that you missed us but glad you went out and did it after all. you had the better weather than what we endure that sunday, and that's a plus.

msw1 you are welcome to join us next year if your nOOb status remains the same....:lol3

joel
  11. NSFW

Oddometer:
    aaron...that's a good report and that was your bike that eggroll knockdown.....:D

so please next time..park your bike away from the line of fire.....:lol3
    [​IMG]
  12. mootsuno

mootsuno Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel,

I'm around and have been following the thread. I've been playing real estate broker since we got back and been a little busy. One property closed last week and another is closing this week. Up to the last few weeks business has been a little slow this year so I've staying in top of things. I need more $ for farkles and trips!

I did have great time and the Dakar did great, but next year I think I'm bringing my Husky. Goes more places than the 650 (at least with me riding it) and when it falls over I just pick it up. No worries about damage.

Thanks to you and Tom for doing all the leg work and I think I'm still a noob for desert riding. Need much more time in the sand.

Dean
    mootsuno
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:

Hi Dean....good to hear from you bro....fun having you in the group and I'm sure all the nOObs, inclucing myself appreciated you taking the sweeping responsibility....next time I'm afraid if you bring the husky, we will have trouble chasing you....:evil , don't do it!

[​IMG]
  14. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    When I last posted I said that I had a leaking cross-over fuel line. And that I was using only my left tank. I managed to make it over Mengall and to West side rd. before my fuel light came on. That's under 3 gallons from Ballarat to west side rd. I probably would have made it to Furnace creek just on the left tank. I did however stop and open the cross-over valves for the last 5 miles or so.

There were some in our group that tried to talk rammer and myself out of the 950's for the ride back to camp. Something about "you know you really want to try out a KTM525 or this husq. didn't ya???" It didn't work.

As I was right behind twowheelsgood on west side rd. going between 60-70mph I stoped to turn the cross-over valves on when BetaTrialsGuy (aka: BetaKid) and Rammer (aka: the slammer :rofl ) caught up to me. I then kicked it up a little. The Spedo might have seen 120mph on west side rd. :eek1 I then caught up to twowheelsgood and kept going to Furnace Creek.

Sorry there were no pictures.

Next up Saturday and a ride I didn't make

Nate
  15. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now on to Saturday! This is where things got funky for me. Actually the funk started on Friday night with some beer and bike maintenance. I also checked the fuel cross-over line and it stoped leaking. I figured that it just wasn't on good.

It started out like any other ride. Load up get the group together and ride out to Panamint springs for some gas.

Look at all those purdy 950's:

[​IMG]

Then it was up the road about 13 miles to the Saline Valley Rd. where we re-grouped. I got off the bike to mark my territory and when I steped away, it fell over. Honest, It wasn't even running. Oh well no biggie. We then get going on Saline valley and my bike is running funny. If I let off the gas, it would stall and then not want to start :huh It worked great WFO but wouldn't coast:eek1 :huh I thought about riding anyway but didn't want to get stuck deep where I couldn't get help. I stoped at the Cero Gordo turnoff ( about 8 miles) and told the group that I was heading back to camp. Scruffy wanted to follow along but I discouraged him. Worst case they would ride right past me on their way home from here and they could help then. I decided to ride back to camp and see what's up.

My first thought was fuel pump. But after riding on Hwy190 for a few miles, I had ruled that out. That's when I found that it would work at WFO but not coast. I did manage over 100mph without issue. but coasting down some of those hills made for lots of sputtering and a few backfires. I had then decided that it was a stuck float in one of the carbs. So I did what any superbright rider would do. I started to hit things like potholes. Then it was a quick turnoff to the Father Crowley turnoff where I hit some big rocks. It still didn't fix the problem. Oh well It sounded like a good idea.

Then it's off to camp for some digging around.

I had a bit of a yard sale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As it turned out it wasn't the carb float sticking. It was user error!!!!!

I had checked the oil Friday night when I was getting the bike ready for the next day. I had been drinking (surprise) and managed to add too much oil. When the bike tiped over on Saline Valley the crankcase breather dumped oil into the front carb and it somehow made it to the filter that I had on the carb vent hose. Well at least that's what I think happened. and it was just full of oil. I put the left tank on and went for a test ride.

It must have been fun to watch. I shot up Hwy190 for about 2 miles at a high rate of speed (them 950's love that shit) Then I turned around and got going about 80 and then let it coast. I tried to replicate the problem but it wasn't there. :clap :clap

Now that's good news because I still had to ride home on sunday.
    I then started to put it all back together.

Got most of it put back together and I noticed that the cross-over line was leaking again. Man that sucks. I took it back off and then noticed that the line does indeed have a hole. Oh well, I'll wait for TrailTrick to get back and get some fuel line from him.

At about 1530hrs a group rode by that looked very much like the guys I was riding with. I figured they were getting some gas and gona come back to camp. After about 15 minutes, the didn't show. I thought they went to ride Titus. SHIT, I WANTED TO RIDE TITUS!!!! So at about 1600hrs I was dressed and put some of the bike back together. I got on and hauled ass to the Exit of Titus. When I was entering from the highway, there was a group waiting at the exit including mootsuno and I thing DaveBro and a few other folks. I didn't even stop, I just shot past them ( sorry guys). I was like a crazy man. There was a few guys riding down the road from the exit of Titus. I did stop for Brokenspoke at the top. When I got to the exit, I just waited. after a while I was loosing light. I really didn't want to be out in the dark. So I made for camp at a very high rate of speed. +100mph was seen for a lot of the way. I made it back to camp only to find they guys all waiting there. Oh well, I gave the bike a final shakedown for the ride home.

At camp, I got a new fuel line from TrailTrick (Thanks again) and put it all back together.

Nate
  16. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to finish up but it won't let me. there is an issue with the Advrider database. I'll finish up tommorow.
  17. BetaTrialsGuy

BetaTrialsGuy D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer:
    CA desert in Winter / Traveling in Summer
    Nate,

Your narrative gets shorter each time I read a new version. I've got the photo's memorized, and I'm still fresh-minded on the story line. :D

If you keep writing shorter versions, you'll have to learn how to write backwords!

Keep sending more of your stuff. I need something to do before I start getting old. :cry

Next time out, why not take a video of your front fender at 100 mph. I wanna see that. :clap
  18. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    It found my posts! I fixed it. I have removed the "shorter" posts. I have just a little more to post and promise to get it finished in the AM. Right now I need to finish getting my drink on:slurp

and about the video, I will get some next time out. Those 950's don't care too much for the steps with the water. Well it's the rider that doesn't care for them. but they sure do love that wide open stuff :rofl

Nate
  19. NSFW

Oddometer:
    Nice report and pics...keep them coming Nate...:clap

I find this trip not just riding motorcycles but lots of funny experiences...glad not all of them from the nOObs...:lol3
  20. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    time to finish up.

In the end it was a great 5 day weekend that ended too soon. I want to thank all those that helped get it going and making it a success. I also want to thank all the sweepers. They helped pick bikes up, keep everyone on the right track, helped with repairs and made sure everyone made it back to camp in one piece. I know that Rammer, Scruffy, BetaTrialsGuy, Windrat, The Austrian, twowheelsgood and Brokenspoke had all at one point ran sweep or helped pick my bike up or even helped get me going on a rocky hill or two. Without them, I might still be out there. Too darn skeered to go anywhere.

What I learned from this trip. Advriders are great folks! I have never meet or riden with any of these guys. Yet, it was like we have been riding for years. I know a few times I would see twowheelsgood waiting. It was almost a sign that there was something that I needed to watch out for.
    Also that if Scruffy says that it might be work on a 950, it will be work!

Do I have any regrets? Not really. I only wish I was able to ride with Mootsuno and DaveBro. I have riden with them on a few occasions and they are great guys. I also wish I was able to finish the Lippencott loop.

This is my last photo. It's the exit of Titus Canyon:

[​IMG]

Nate

ps -next year the 640 gets lower gearing and trailered down. I'm gona get the suspension done and a steering stabalizer like my old 640.