2nd nOOb vaLLey raLLy - Nov. 7 to 9 2008

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by NSFW, Nov 10, 2008.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the wind and rain are just too much for all the wussies...so we decided to hit the stovepipe restaurant for food and warm shelter!

the tahoe boys..tom and jeff
    [​IMG]

renauld (leDakar), toby (reBARman), and jim (spafxr)
    [​IMG]

jon, scruffy, rsimpson, javier, rich (1/4 only), slammer (formerly known as rammer), and big john
    [​IMG]

toby, jim, ric (zing), dean (mootsuno), davebro, and john (rruugger)
    [​IMG]

there are about a dozen more guys and girls in the dining room but looks like i lost the pics...sorry peeps.

next..... pics of the roads on the way home..
  2. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now that looks one fun rally! Maybe one day I'll get to one but it's a bit of a hike for me.:ricky
  3. NSFW

Oddometer:
    friday and saturday riding was fantastic...but sunday's weather was threatening...we were woken up by thunderstorm, followed by rain, and finally wind gust that turned into a semi sand storm.

most of us decided to beat the weather by heading home early...which was the wrong decision...the rest of sunday was just gorgeous.

in the background..all tent campers already gone, only those on motorhomes were comfortable enough to stay. wait a minute...i see 1 tent still standing up...:D
    [​IMG]

rob had a flat tire and i offered him to ride my bike home...that way i can say that i never trailer the 640A .... :deal ..it saw a lot of miles in 3 days, rode it up 330 miles on friday, then over 100 miles on sat and 300 miles on the way home....:clap
    [​IMG]

we trailered rob's and sopascat bikes. peeps, if you're in the market for a trailer...get a kendon :wink:
    [​IMG]

amazing how the weather could drastically change in a weekend
    [​IMG]

it was snowing on the way to wild rose
    [​IMG]

more and heavier snow on the way up to the pass
    [​IMG]

southbound entrance to wild rose
    [​IMG]

wild rose was washed out with mud, sand and gravel
    [​IMG]

i think the sign was there even before the storm
    [​IMG]

used to be a road
    [​IMG]

at lower elevation...straight as it can be
    [​IMG]

getting passed by xjon and others on the way to trona
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

after sopascat dropped me off at my house, rob showed up and immediately worked on his bike
    [​IMG]

right after he found out it wasn't a flat but something we've never seen ever or not even a word for it....:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 no wonder the slime didn't work....:doh
    [​IMG]

cheap bastard....:rofl
  4. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice Pix h8chains!

[​IMG]

I was riding in that stuff and my arms and chest were white. My front wheel was just slushing through that stuff. I was going to stop but was too darn cold.

Thanks for taking the time to get the pix.

Nate
  5. Rammer

Rammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Please tell me kj and punkenduro didn't ride through this stuff! :eek2
  6. BetaTrialsGuy

BetaTrialsGuy D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer:
    CA desert in Winter / Traveling in Summer
    DEATH VALLEY n00b RIDE - Saturday

So I'm riding Shotgun behind 6 other riders, somewhere east of Mengel Pass.

I come around a corner and there is one of my buddies with his leg trapped under
    his bike and his body trapped between the bike and a rock outcropping. I get the
    bike raised enough to free his leg and we get him back on the trail. That's what a
    good shotgun does. I'm thinkin' "Good for me!"

A short while later I catchup with the group and they turn into an abandoned mine
    which is about 25 yards off the road. I park my bike, take off my helmet and start
    talking with a couple of them. Something seems wrong. Oh Shit! This isn't my
    group. None of my guys. Damn!

I get arranged and back on the road. No dust ahead. No evidence of my group,
    not even when I get a several mile view ahead. I'm crankin' it on for 15 or 20
    minutes, and no sign of them. I'm getting concerned. I'm going faster by the
    minute.

Finally I reach an intersection where they're all waiting. I plead to be fired from my
    shotgun job. I'm lousy at it, and I'm likely to follow a coyote off the trail.

My pleas are heard and I'm relieved of my job. It was good to be back in the dust
    the rest of the way back to Stovepipe.

TOM
  7. Rammer

Rammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

I've got to have a picture of this somewhere....

8. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those fools probaby went back and did it again!

Nate
  9. AaronK

AaronK Grumpy Grumperson

Oddometer:
    kj, punkenduro, Gabe and myself road over Towne Pass and it was rain, snow and rock slides. The snow wasn't sticking to the road like that but is was damn cold and there were boulders and rocks on the road.
  10. NSFW

Oddometer:

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
  11. ktmnate

ktmnate Long timer

Oddometer:
    I forgot that during the Sunday sand blast sesion. I was in my tent trying to get dressed and getting kicked around (yes, it was that windy). I had heard my titinum cup blow away. I just hope that one of the ADV FF's got it and not some total schmuck. If you did, enjoy.

Nate
  12. Xdirtbag

Xdirtbag Reformed Scootertrash

Oddometer:
    I'll be sporting a 400sxc plated for next years ralley so I may actualy have a ride report to put in. Then we'll see a real nOOb on dirt. At least I should get some trail an desert tracks in before then so I don't look totaly lame..
  13. NSFW

Oddometer:
    we could be looking for another nOObs raLLy before December of next year....we had the nOOb reDUx in March of this year. really depends on the weather......:deal

el diablo.....how are we doing with the stickers?, lot's of wannabee nOObs are interested.....:D
  14. LIL ZING

LIL ZING Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the stickers RBA got them Friday and will be sending the first part of the DVD payment tomorrow hopefully. How is the last part of your short film on noob riding bikes going.:rofl :lol3 Would send you the DVD to burn it on but not sure if there is a special type. That's why I'll send you the big red bulls.:1drink
  15. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks Zing! Always happy to receive some more Redbull. :D

The video is actually not going that great. I haven't been able to get inspired. I need to listen to some good music in the very late hours...that usually does it.

I have a stack of DVD's so don't worry about that.
  16. LIL ZING

Oddometer:
    Well maybe me sending you the doubles is what you need good music and pound some double shot red bulls and you'll record something even if it wasn't from the noob ride. What's the next multi night ride you guys plan on going on? I pretty much used my time up have baby due in 3 weeks but give me a couple months and I'll wiggle out on the bike.:clap
  17. Redbull Addict

Redbull Addict I need another one...

Oddometer:

Nothing planned yet but I would bet on a ride in the early spring to DV again. Then northern Nevada in late spring and Tahoe in the summer.
  18. NSFW

Oddometer:
    My bike is begging for a sticker...:D

Hey Zing, congratulations to the forthcoming addition...I can also forsee a little bit of slowing down on your riding in the future.

Tom...Tahoe is surely on my next year's schedule.
  19. punkenduro

punkenduro now in a cage...

Oddometer:
    that wasnt the worst part for me though. riding on red mountain road i though the bike was starting to bog. i pull over and rev the bike, seams fine. few miles more same thing, i pull over and get off the bike, both back packs i was using as panners where eaten, one via chain and the other melted to the exhaust. lost my tent, a pair of shoes, some clothes and 2 back packs in all. took what i could take in my tank bag and let the rest on the side of the road, to bad my camara was dead for that scene.
  20. LIL ZING

Oddometer:
    Don't you worry when you guys plan the tahoe ride I'll be there. As long as it's in the spring.