1. eNewsletter Sign Up

2nd Ride to Pioneer Town (Socal) 4/4/09

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by sito, Mar 17, 2009.

1. dustjunkie

dustjunkie Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer:
    Hey Rich, if you are still following this thread, NOW would be a great time to post a pic of Rick in the MANKINI...

Jake
  2. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by rolandska

Ya know, the common denominator for these helicopter ride things seems to be dannyG or rickF.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

here's dannyG claiming "it wasn't his fault"...............:rofl
    [​IMG]
  3. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    dannyG: "Ok... now here's what we are going to tell your wife..."

4. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    [
    [​IMG]

Henry,

You were one lucky dude. Hugo & I where the first ones to roll up on you when you crashed. You were on your knees and breathing like you got the wind knocked out of you. (That explains the collapsed lung) We sat you down on the side of the road and started to do the check list to see if you were OK. At first I thought you were going to be fine. I asked if anything was hurting and your response was "I'm OK just need to catch my breath, what happened" We explained to you that you crashed. You seemed to be coming around but then you said you felt somethings moving around in your shoulder area! Hugo having broke his collar bone twice knew the drill. I figured OK that's not so bad but then you started to ask questions that we had just answered! Looking at your helmet it appeared that it took quite a hit and now you got all of us starting to think we might have a bigger problem! DannyG (your lead medic at the time) and the group decided it was time to call in the pros.

Henry is a great example of what a good ADV rider should be. That boy had every piece of safety equipment on. (took a long time to get it off) If he was not all geared up I don't think this story would have had the same results. From the looks of the crash site he went down hard and fast. It appears to me that you hit a big exposed tree root and rut that sent you into another rut. You and the bike went down. It did not appear that you or the bike went sliding. The bike was still in the rut when I picked it up.

I hope you heal up soon.

Things I learned from this:
    1. SAT phone are the shit. need to look into getting one. That saved a ton of time.
    2. Spots. We should have all fired up all our spots. That would have alerted the rescue sources to our location and the more calls the better assurance that we needed help. That's why we have them. The more calls to the same location the faster the response. (if we didn't have the sat phone) If someone has a head or internal injury's time is critical. We could have been there for a few hours instead of 45min.
    3. Carry an emergency call list. You friends can't help you if they don't know who to call. (luckly Henry was able to tell us)
    4. The better your gear the better your chances.
    5. ADV riders are the best. Henry was well taken care of!

:hide[/quote]
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    For my own curiosity...

Normally with an MOI like a moto crash and with obvious impact to the head wouldn't you want to have him horizontal with someone stabilizing his neck/head (I did see in one pic that someone was holding his head while sitting)? Does a broken collar bone or ribs make laying down too painful?

I am not challenging any decisions made at the scene... just asking for future refernce.
  6. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    Now you're just being silly!
    No need to make the others feel inadequate......................
  7. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES.

Henry was already moving & stood up and removed his helmet buy the time I stopped my bike. If he was out and not moving we would have not moved him. This happen fast and to be truthful at first I thought he was going to be able to jump back on his bike and continue the ride. His movements and reactions changed in about 5 Min's. We sat him down and tried to check for damage. With all his gear on it's hard to tell anything. We talked about laying him down but the people that had broken collar bones said that it was more painful. Henry never really complained to much about the pain so we let him be.

What changed everything for us was Henry's mental status. A collar bone is one thing a head injury is something totally different. When Henry started asking and repeating the same questions we knew we needed help.
  8. scorpion

scorpion Two arm bandit

Oddometer:
    I rolled up third, he was up and moving around slowly. I thought he just got whacked in the foot but if wasn't speaking and reacting very slow which didn't seem like a good sign.

Big thanks to DannyG for stepping in and taking charge :clap

I was wondering why Henry got so beat up with the top end gear on, but then I realized that it may have gone MUCH worse without it.
    Broken bones are way better that spinal damage.

I'm going to look into a first aid/field trama course and try to be more prepared for when things go wrong.
    I had a hard fast get off a little later on that could have ended my day.
  9. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I took an 8 day course with these guys a few years back. Really really good stuff. John is the usual local instructor.
  10. TwoWheelsGood

TwoWheelsGood Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer:
    Working at a Starbucks right now. When I get home I'll post the more tasteful RickF shots, which are still on my camera :deal
  11. rolandska

rolandska Around Town Supporter

Oddometer:
    Feel free, the Boss just ordered Brigitte to tape to the couch in case I try to wander off.:rofl

12. WallyWhirled

WallyWhirled Been here awhile

Oddometer:

CEDRIC...:clap ...probably some new route(s) in store.....maybe even a 3-day option like Darren and Dave did last year.
  13. cribaby

cribaby Dirt/Street? No Wait Dirt

Oddometer:
    Way to go. :clap :clap :clap :clap asking question and listen for the answer. Way to go for reconisiding more then just physical damage :norton

Charlie
  14. NSFW

Oddometer:

aaron, funny that you said this....:lol3

while danny was making phone calls, he asked henry if he wants his wife notified....henry came back to life and his immediate response was "NO!"........:rofl
  15. NSFW

Oddometer:
    :cob .... i answered your dozen PMs and still you stood me up last sat..:ken

walther, i can only do sat and sun....let's do it in may 2nd or 9th or 16th

start a new thread if you may please......8)H
  16. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sh!t! It seems like every big ride someone goes down hard. I hope you heal feel better soon. If your like me the time off the bike is going to drive you nuts. The best advice I can give is what I was given. Do your rehab workouts it helps with the recovery. It looks like i missed another good ride. But I will be back soon. I went for a fwy ride yesterday. The shoulder feels pretty good. I think I am about 3 weeks from trail riding. But Its only been 6 weeks. Good luck Ben
  17. dustjunkie

dustjunkie Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer:
    Lets play a game....

Name this color...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jake
  18. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    ADV Violent Violet
    :puke2

19. punkenduro

punkenduro now in a cage...

Oddometer:
    i kinda feel lucky i didnt do this ride. been a lot of carnage lately. hope everyone heels up ok.
  20. Ben99r1

Ben99r1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think its called internal bleeding red. Or I was really having a good time before this happened red. Ben