Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'EMEA' started by Hobbsrt, Dec 11, 2016.
redo Krakow to Ludvikov
Krakow to Ludvikov
Sankt Gallen to Vienna
Sorry for the troubles there, dont know what happened. Looking forward to some feedback. Cheers.
St. Gallen to Vienna looks great. From point 9 on your map, you might consider taking the motorway to Vienna (A21->A2->A23), because that's where the Vienna suburbs start.
Mariazell, which is a catholic pilgrimage site with a basilica and shops selling plastic Jesuses, if you are into that kind of things.
Kalte Kuchl, which is where your route takes a sharp turn north between points 6 and 7. This is just a country-side inn, but where all of two-wheeled Vienna meets during weekends. A bit quieter during the week, but still worth to stop and have a coffee and a Topfenstrudel (a pastry with a kind of cream cheese usually soaked in vanilla sauce).
Agreed, but much of the last leg of that looks kinda boring in the first place. Why not go via Hoellental and the Hals instead?
The Ochsensattel (the pass road leading there from the northwest) is a bit of a squid-magnet, especially on weekends. I've lost count how often a couple of local heroes heading the opposite direction got confused on who's supposed to ride on what side of the road.
Frankly, during the main riding season I'm not going there on weekends anymore. On the other hand, one of the last official roads (Tiefental) with a gravel bed is right around the corner, so if you're sick of asphalt that might be something.
It is fairly easy, as well, at least as long as you're riding it uphill.
awesome, thanks for the ideas guys. I do like a good pastry. I dont like squids and expect to be there on a Sunday (jun 11). If ever in Colorado, let me know and I can give you some great routes on or off road.
+1 on the Hoellental - Hals proposal.
Just saw the Salzburg to St. Gallen route, which is hidden in the Vienna to Budapest post.
- I'm not sure about the almost complete Attersee loop. The western and northern part of the lake are quite spoilt by weekend homes and you hardly get a view of the lake. If the day feels long, then you could just shortcut via B152 on the southern shore. You could add a bit of the south-eastern shore, which is close to the mountains so no place for houses and take a U-turn as soon as the scenery becomes dull.
- The B320 between Stainach and Liezen is a bit boring, but I didn't find a good alternative myself yet.
- Most important: If you don't have a specific reason to go to St. Gallen, I would prefer to go from Liezen via Admont and Hieflau (road B146) and join your original route in Mooslandl the next day. B146 is a road along the Enns river through a scenic canyon and national park.
Where to stay overnight if the initial plan was to stay in St. Gallen?
- Admont which has an old abbey claiming to have the largest monastic library in the world.
- Wildalpen has a hotel and a campsite and is tiny, but scenic.
- Anywhere in between where you see Zimmer frei (=B&B).
good stuff it looks like i need to reevaluate. thanks for the feedback.
great ideas guys, new maps coming up
Go to Beach's Motorcycle Adventures, Classic Alpine Tour Map. Give you some idea what you can see in 2 weeks. Mostly 2 lane, mountain passes, little villages & towns. Stunning stuff !
Your St. Gallen to Vienna route looks very fine to me.
If you find out that you are a little late when in Mariazell, you can also use road 21 between your points 2 and 6. You will miss Josefsberg and Annaberg passes, but the alternative isn't bad either and it will save you about 45mins (wild guess from my sofa while spring is making its first effort this year).
And, personally, I would take the Autobahn A21 from about halfway between your points 8 and 9. If you do, don't forget the toll sticker. It's EUR 5.10 for 10 days and can be obtained at all gas stations.
If you know where your hotel in Vienna will be, the sensible "approach" to Vienna might change a little. Just let us know.
great, thanks for the ideas. I am staying in the City Center. Spring is making an effort here too 80 in denver yesterday. Counting down the days.
Ok, then your planned route should work well.