2up to India via Tierra del Fuego

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 2uprtw, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    Definitely worth it. Camp at Furnace Creek. Go to Dantes View and Scotty's Castle.
  2. Rev Kiecker

Rev Kiecker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hell yes! Death Valley has both the lowest (Badwater -282') and highest (Mt Whitney 14,494) points in the lower 48 less than 100 miles apart as the crow flys. From Vegas I'd do a loop consisting of the following: Badwater, Artist Pallete, Furnace Creek, Beauty NV, Rhyolite (crazy desert art), Titus Canyon, and then out to Saline Valley to camp at the warm springs. There's so much more there such as Barker Ranch (home of Charles Manson), Racetrack (rocks that magically move across the desert) etc, but the loop mentioned will show you some good examples of what DV has to offer. Oh and the wild flowers are crazy this time of year.

About 100 of us were just there a couple weeks ago. Lots of photos posted here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562582
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Yes, I highly recommend it. For you I would suggest coming in thru Beatty,NV. From there go see the ghost town at Rhyolite, then the one way road of Titus Canyon, north at the pavement to Scotty's Castle, Ubehebe Crater to the Racetrack, down Lippincott Road to Saline Valley Road, go north, take the right turn to the hot springs and relax for a few days..very remote, bring food and enough gas..you should be able to find a map in Beatty or at the park gate near Scotty's Castle, after the hot springs go back to the main road and go north finding your way to Big Pine on your way to Yosemite.

I'll throw a couple pics in to give you an idea of DV..hope you don't mind the thread hijacking.:deal

The ghost town:

[​IMG]

Titus Canyon:

[​IMG]

The Castle(the tour is worth every penny):

[​IMG]

The Racetrack(the rocks move when nobody is looking):

[​IMG]

Lippincott Road is a little tough, but I've been riding with you for years now and you can handle it.:thumb

This awaits you:

[​IMG]

Finding the hot springs can be a challenge..just pull over and wait for a truck to come along and ask directions..people are extremely nice.

I gave you a route to keep you heading north, it'd take years to see all of Death Valley.
  4. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Brian and Marie - Great running into you two in Real de Catorce. I can confirm that when you two crossed the US border, John and I were the only two riders left in Mexico. Remember you have a bed and a washing machine in Redondo Beach (near LAX). Check out our blog called John Juan's Ruta Mexico 2010...and you'll see a few more of you guys. John
    [​IMG]
  5. bighaasfly

bighaasfly Something to shoot for

Oddometer:
    I've been chipping away at this for a good week and MAN! What a trip! My life is a bit different than yours, but an adventure none the less. I have been moved by your experiences and your adventures. I'm sure that posting all your writings and pics must be a pain much of the time, but words cannot express what they add to our lives. Thank you for all your efforts and safe travels!:clap :clap

By the way, since you are in the states now and there are so many ADV readers offering up free room and board (and sometimes meals!), you might be able to travel for the cost of gas in the USA!! :thumb By the way, you can put the Minneapolis metro on the list of free lodging and warm meals. If you find yourself here, give me a shout!
  6. hendikaf

hendikaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    if your road take you to Florida I have a nice home close to the beach , plenty of room for you guys , cold beer ,french food ,pool and sun , not too bad after all .

Hendi (Fort Lauderdale)
  7. bighaasfly

Oddometer:
    I forgot to ask this when I posted earlier and perhaps it's a bit too personal for a forum, but what the heck to you and Marie do for a living that you can walk away and then have some confidence of finding employment agian when you return?:jjen And you say you might settle down in the frozen north off of the power grid (or something like that), but plan on touring Russia and all over in a couple of years? :ricky What do you do, rob banks in off season?? :huh Cause, if so, and it allows you to do this kind of stuff, then maybe you could use a helper, huh?! :lol3
  8. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For over two years now this ride report has been going and I think you are the first to ask what would certainly have been the first question on my mind had I been doing the reading of this RR instead of the writing (and I use the term writing here very loosely:lol3).

The short answer is the following:

I worked as a retail manager my entire adult life. Marie has worked in an insurance company, bank and for the Federal government. Not very glamorous work but we are both good at what we do and take work very seriously when that is what we are doing (in the same way we take travel, umm, "seriously" when that is what we are doing). In other words, we focus on doing just one thing to the fullest, be it going to school, working, or traveling. When I was in school you would have thought of me as a nerd, always in the books, Consumed by learning. When I was working, you would have called me a workaholic (60 plus hours a week, no social life). Now that
    we are traveling some people think we are some sort of adventurers (a term we do not like. We have met some real adventurers and we are nothing like them, unfortunately). The truth is we are extremely focused tourists on a motorcycle :D.

This lifestyle differs from most people in that they tend to try and have a little of everything at the same time. Our friends for instance enjoy taking their 2 or 3 weeks off to go traveling to faraway places each year, often spending thousands of dollars to do so. They also enjoy going to the restaurant a few times a week. Again, this is expensive. Add to all of this the purchase of some expensive toys and what you get is a well balanced but costly lifestyle. And the end of the day they have lived just as much as us but have done so in spurts. Their choice is no worse than ours, just different.

So basically, at home we live like hermits (no cable, no television, no land line, no restaurants, no bars, no toys). We don't spend at all and instead spend all of our time planning our next trip.

For me this was the third time I sold everything and left traveling (the second for Marie). When we return home in a few months we will once again have to start over from scratch. But the excitement of doing so is kind of intoxicating. To tell you the truth, we are looking forward to seeing where we will end up professionally this time.
  9. bighaasfly

Oddometer:
    I also have worked as a retail manager and fully appreciate the focus it takes to do it well. I've worked with bad managers and good ones. Something tells me you are very good at it. :clap

I have another question for you. During your recent travels, have you or Marie experienced any elightenments or awakenings either emotionally or spiritually? After reading your comments on how you deal with poverty in the rest of the world, it gave me pause for reflection on my own values and how they really stand up in the face of the global reality and not just in my own cultural bubble. Also, does seeing the best (and worst) parts of the world inspire some sort of spiritual reconciliation and/or accountability to the idea of a Creator.

On the lighter side, good for you two for being people of intention and getting done what you set out to do! My wife and I are shedding debt at a mad rate right now to live more simply and allow other options to exist in the future and travel is on our list! She's not exactly a 'live in a tent off the back of a motorcycle in India' kinda girl, but likes to travel none the less. Kinda more like 'a nice bed at the Marriott after a hard day in the Chrysler' sorta gal! :rofl I, however, may have to tackle the more rugged travel sights solo at some point.

Great RR! I agree with your other fans that this has been the best report I've read on ADV!! Super job!:nod

bighaasfly
  10. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Wow good question Bighaasfly, and great answer Brian.

I hope you get to visit Yosemite the park has some magic in it.

Raouf
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

So, who is riding in the sidecar? :evil

Donnie
  12. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, you guys are going to be dissapointed but we are now in San Francisco and missed not only Death Valley but also Sequoia and Yosemite :cry

But before we get any "hate posts" I must say in our defense that we really wanted to visit more of this part of the US but we have a good reason for not doing so. It seems I have a job interview scheduled for the end of May, in Montreal. And given the state of the economy it is something we just cannot pass up.

So this means a trip to Alaska is out and instead we are going to gun it back home. We still plan on going up to Vancouver as well as Jasper and Banff but the fine state of Alaska will have to wait for another time, maybe by sidecar.
  13. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably the kid, if we have one by then :D.
  14. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I'm sure you're dissapointed more than I..I go to those places a lot. We're all jealous of you two a little bit.:deal

Get that job and start the plans for the next trip.:thumb

My wife and I ares till planning for Alaska too.:tb
  15. Dogtown

Dogtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm north of the GGB in Marin. Lemmie know if ya need a place to stay!!

1goodbeer@comcast.net

Sean

16. xrjosele

xrjosele n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Brian,

Thanks (from Spain) for the great thread.
    I've been reading it from loooong time ago, looking for new posts every week. It is like I've been traveling with you all around the world in some way.

Now I understand it: You guys are normal people just focused in what makes you happy. It is so simple... makes me think a lot.

Good luck with your interview!!
    (please, look for the way to put together on a book all these experiences...)

Jose
  17. Sunday Rider

Sunday Rider Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer:
    Well that is the best reason for a change of plans. You have to sow the seeds of the next adventure. Which I am sure will be even more thrilling if one can only imagine.

Good luck on the interview.

Raouf
  18. BKawa

BKawa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the job prospect. Hope all goes well for you. Be safe cruising back to Canada. I really enjoyed your ride report.
  19. C-Dub

C-Dub Clean Air Hog

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report:D Have fun making that baby!:evil
  20. Moto One

Moto One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First: Thanks for taking use along.

Second: I was in SF yesterday (working if you can call it that), and I'm back home (Tahoe) working.

It would have been great to have crossed paths face to face.

Any way if you decide to visit Tahoe befor blowing north, we have a space in the garage, and bed/shower for you.

It's the least we can do.

Mark & Tricia.