2up to India via Tierra del Fuego

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 2uprtw, Apr 20, 2008.

1. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another day, another campground. This one just north of Tucson, within striking distance of the Overland Expo that was taking place that weekend...

[​IMG]

The Overland Expo gave us an opportunity to see Ted Simon, Lois Pryce, Austin Vince among others. We attended a screening of Mondo Enduro (a must see) as well as other informative sessions...

[​IMG]

Not all overlanders travel by bike :eek1...

[​IMG]

Only the smart ones :wink:...

[​IMG]
  2. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were pretty lucky in that the week we decided to go visit some national parks they were free :clap.

So with started with the big one, the Grand Canyon...

[​IMG]

The day we went it was, well, miserable out. But it gave us (or rather me) a chance to try out my new Gerbing heated vest. Very nice to be warm for a change.
  3. daveg

daveg no longer homeless

Oddometer:
    Was overland expo worth checking out? Were there any north americans there? Was it mostly big ol' 4x4 specific stuff?

I wanted to go, but was a bit too far away to make a weekend jaunt over there
  4. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave,

It was geared more towards the big trucks but there was enough bike stuff to keep any long distance rider captivated. And the vast majority of the attendees and presenters were from the US.
  5. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    More Grand Canyon pics. The thing about the Grand Canyon is that it is almost too big to take in and appreciate...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To prove that we were there...

[​IMG]

We shared the campground with some of these...

[​IMG]
  6. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out of all of the places we have ridden through and seen Utah ranks right up there in terms of stunning scenery. We started by heading towards Moab...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course we visited Arches National Park...

[​IMG]

But the weather was against us the entire time we were in Utah...

[​IMG]

Still, we pushed on to Bridges park...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice meal in the making...

[​IMG]

And we`re off again...

[​IMG]
  7. Dogtown

Dogtown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Brian and Marie,

Your gear list would be great to share with us. I think you might have done it before, but now at the end of your trip you likely have only the gear that you really need and use. We would all love to know what it really takes to travel like you do and what essential items to bring......minus all the fluff!:ear
  8. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a great idea but it will take a while. I always wanted to lay everything out and snap of few pictures so maybe we'll do that instead. But you might have to wait a few weeks until we are back in Montreal.
  9. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The weather continued to be harsh the entire time we were in Utah. But every once in a while, the sun would shine through and the vivid colors of the mountains and rock would show themselves.

[​IMG]

Pit stop. Anybody recognize this spot?

[​IMG]

This here mountain is one of the most amazing we have ever seen. It is called Factory Butte...

[​IMG]
  10. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The day we visited Bryce Canyon the sky decided to open up (:clap:clap:clap) long enough for us to take some nice pics. Here are a couple...

[​IMG]

Notice the snow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. 990S Pilot

990S Pilot Is this round trip?

Oddometer:
    Absolutely! UT 95 overlooking Lake Powell. Been there many times. Funny though, I don't remember the person lying on the ground when I was there :D
  12. GatorTiger

GatorTiger Go Gators - Ride Tigers!

Oddometer:
    Sure! This is what it looked in 1989:

[​IMG]

Quite a diff with the water level... :huh
  13. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of the things that stood out the most about our time in the US was the number of motorcycles that could be seen, far more than in Canada or anywhere else for that matter. And lots of Harleys everywhere. We have never seen so much chrome before. I would get these incredible urges to throw dirt on them but decided that this would not be a good idea :lol3.

And speaking of bikes that need to get a little dirty, here are a couple. Actually, we spent a few minutes talking to these two guys. Very nice and funny fellows...

[​IMG]

Utah rocks!

[​IMG]

Eventually we made it to Vegas. Other than a head wound for Marie, everything went well during the 4 days we spent there...

[​IMG]
  14. bbooker

bbooker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :huh

So you're just going to leave us hanging?...Is she ok?
  15. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, she is OK. She was sitting by the pool at our hotel when the wind picked up and launched a lawn chair right into the air. It apparently flew about 20 feet and struck her in the back of the head. Caused a bit of a commotion and the pool was immediately closed by the hotel. This was witnessed by the lifeguards (3 of them!) who immediately rushed to her aid.
    Being the trooper she is, we all went out and partied that night with our friends Ken and Claudine.
  16. yellowknife

yellowknife Is In Canada

Oddometer:
    How many lawyers rushed over with their business cards ? :D

YK
  17. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, we filled out an incident report with the head of security and you could sense he was trying to determine if we wanted to sue based on his comments. Given the number of ads lining the strip asking "have you been injured?" I was not surprised:D.
    But lawyers and lawsuits are two things Canadians like to avoid. Shit happens and generally speaking we tend to deal with it in other ways when it does.
  18. BKawa

BKawa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    has become an all too common practice in the US these days.

We would all be better off if more people took your approach when something that is purely accidental happens. A few less lawyers and law suits would make this a lot better place to live.

Just my two cents.

BTW, when do you have to be back for your interview? Heres wishing you the best.

Brian
  19. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    wowowowowowow
    sitting in my sofa i followed your travels and enjoyed it immensely
    nice writing brass balls(brass tits?) the high passes in india and the good reports on Iran
    all the very best and many happy miles in the future:clap
  20. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The interview is gonna be on the 27th of this month (in a few days). Once that is done, we are off to tour the maritimes and see the folks :clap.