2up to India via Tierra del Fuego

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by 2uprtw, Apr 20, 2008.

1. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That whole interview thing threw everything a bit out of whack timing wise. Our slow exploration of the US turned into a series of marathon rides starting with our exit of Nevada and into California. We had wanted to visit a few more national parks but decided to make some miles to get back to Montreal on time (we are currently in Niagara Falls on the US side).

Our first real stop out of Nevada was in Benicia near San Francisco. We had exchanged e-mails with Richard and Jacqueline who invited us to stay with them. They are avid riders themselves, having covered huge (and I mean HUGE) amounts of the country (and up into the far north) on their bikes...

[​IMG]

We had a great time, most of it spent in the garage with beer in hand:freaky...

[​IMG]

But all too soon we had to go once again and continue heading towards Vancouver for the start of our cross Canada tour. There are many countries we know more than our own and we thought it was time to change that.

On our way up to Canada we rode a bit of the Pacific Coast Highway...

[​IMG]

And saw a side of California we did not know existed...

[​IMG]

Ummm, just like Argentina...

[​IMG]

Our last 2 days in the country were a hostile mix of wind, cold weather and rain. But we did see some rather large trees during a rare moment of calm...

[​IMG]
  2. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the work of sharing your journey. Glad U liked California. I absolutely love roaming the back roads out there. But didto for the rest of the country also. ;-)
  3. tsiklonaut

tsiklonaut the (in)famous boxer perv

Oddometer:
    Not a word for a long time...

Howzit guys? Already home?

Be safe, Margus & Kariina
  4. gnuse

gnuse Ride to Fly

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool that you got to meet Richard and Jacqueline. I am sure there were some great stories told on both sides. The four of you have been on some epic rides! :clap
  5. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yet another long stretch between updates...

What can I say, it has been a hectic month since we were in California:evil . We ended up going to Vancouver and spending time with my brother before doing a mad dash across the country and stopping for a couple of days in Toronto. Took us 7 days to get there (about 620 kilometers per day). We were rushing it because we wanted to get ourselves to Pennsylvania before my interview (oh yeah...got the job and am starting on the 21st of June :eek1 ).
    Why Pennsylvania? Because that is the home of one of the best sidecar guys in the business, Claude Stanley. We had been corresponding with him for a few weeks about having a sidecar built for our bike. So we arranged to meet him at his shop and spent a couple of days talking about design. Our plan is to ride the thing across Africa and up into Europe (stopping in Estonia of course!) then across Russia and beyond. But this will only be in a few years (5 to 10).

So I guess we will have to wrap up this ride report soon (still a few pics to share). Right now we are preparing a presentation which we plan on giving in 2 days here in my hometown of New-Richmond in Quebec. Stress!!!
  6. davidbrundage

davidbrundage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but what sort of job are you going home to?!

thanks for taking us along on this ride! seriously one of the most epic adventures of all time!

7. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent about 15 years working as a manager for various retail outfits so I figured I should stick to what I know and took a job with a company I had previously worked for. Given the economic troubles we are all about to face I was very happy to land that job (pay is alright).
  8. davidbrundage

davidbrundage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice! hopefully it pays well enough to get that side car built ;) thanks again for taking us all along. this was a very, very inspiring adventure. i wish both of you the best.

9. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been following your trip for some time now and am about to leave on a trip
    from Canmore Alberta to south america and back for a year riding with
    my wife and son all riding DR 650's .

I have a question for you regarding licence plates it seems you can not buy
    more than a year at a time like you can with cars how did you deal with
    this issue.
    All three of our plates will expire while we are on the road and the office told us to have a friend renew and currier it to us which we know its not as easy as it sounds.

Any help would be appreciated
    Freedom Rider
    Michael
  10. 2uprtw

2uprtw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a tough one to answer. It all depends on how your registration papers look. For example, here in Quebec we have a small paper that has 2 sections. The front has our bike details (VIN number, name, model, etc,) and back paper (detachable) has the expiry date along with signature. What we did was simply take off the detachable part (with expiry date) and toss it. This worked fine for all 37 countries we visited except for 1, Mexico. They have seen so many tourists that the border official took one look and said "you are missing part of your registration". Ouch!
    But we finally talked our way out of this problem.

Basically, make sure you are paid up so that legally you are OK in case of accidents. As for the papers, you can always try and falsify them as many people on long term trips will do. It is risky but sometimes the only option. Of course, all this assumes that the actual plate does not have any stickers indicating the date for which it is valid.
    Does any of this info help?