2up to TDF (San Francisco to Ushuaia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sp4ce, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Yoni

Yoni DARE!

Oddometer:
    Nina and Trevore. Thank you again for your great RR :clap
    I'm intending to be on your SA rout starting June 09. My plan is to purchase a bike in SF, ride it to TDF and then to BA and fly it back to the US, resell it and fly home. As there is no need for a Carne't in all of the americas, I wonder if it is possible to sell the bike in SA when I will reach my last point (And save me the flight to the US). does it have any reference in your passport so you MUST show the authorities you took it out? did you here about other combination, e.g selling it to another US citizen there?

TA

Y.
  2. sp4ce

sp4ce Orange Invader

Oddometer:
    The Seguins left their bikes in BA - sold one and abandoned the other I believe. You might ask them what they did - their thread is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377792

There isn't any reference in your passport that will get you in trouble with customs on the way out, but I believe that you might have problems if you ever came back. I met a guy who had to pay something like $1000 to get into Guatemala because 10 years previous he had passed through on a motorcycle and his exit hadn't been properly recorded.

One way to handle it might be to not import the bike into Argentina when you cross through Chile on the way back from Ushuaia. Make sure you are at the border at the same time a bus is and leave all your riding gear on the bike, then go through immigration, but don't do the vehicle import. Now you have illegally brought a vehicle into the country, though, so don't get in an accident or pulled over.
  3. kktos

kktos on a bright side of life

Oddometer:
    Trev, r u sure bout that ? :D
    So why do I have the feeling it is only the 1st of your many trips of a lifetime ?
    :wink:
    Once tasted.......
    Coz there are still Africa, Australia, China, ....
    :evil
    Therefore I'll patiently wait for your next RR.....
    Bravo à vous deux !
    /thierry
  4. Yoni

Yoni DARE!

Oddometer:
    Usweful tips :clap :clap :clap
  5. Onion

Onion What?

Oddometer:
    Nina sez "Maybe he thought, “Gosh, I’m a bit full after my Christmas roast goat. I think I’ll go and stand on the fence whilst I digest.” "

Just too funny!

Thanks to both of you for sharing this story. Very nicely written with great photography.
  6. fatdr

fatdr dirty dirty boy

Oddometer:
    :thumb :bow
    Look forward to the next RR, this was awesome.
    thanx
  7. MotoPhotog

MotoPhotog Picter Takr

Oddometer:
    Damn!! Well, very cool to know Trevor. As you stated, the motorcycle stuff, and gear stuff, is crutial, and needed. As for Transport, was this total including your "vacation from vacation" or was this not included at all. You could probably do this trip for 20k then, is what you're stating?

Thanks again guys for sharing this info with us. Its always good to have a ballpark idea of what something like this costs. As you see, i thought it was like 10 grand. I was um.......... a little off :lol3
  8. sp4ce

sp4ce Orange Invader

Oddometer:
    Totals do not include "vacation from vacation".

We also flew home on miles.

You could do the trip for 10k as a single person. You'd need to have most of the gear already, do all your own work on the bike, and camp or stay in cheap hostels all the way. It'd be tight, but you could do it.
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    THANKS!!! :clap :clap :clap

Donnie
  10. Spartan

Spartan It's All Attitude

Oddometer:
    EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for taking the time to share your ride and all the interesting and useful information. I really enjoyed it.
  11. 911racer

911racer dare to explore

Oddometer:
    Just spent the past few days at work reading up on your awesome ADVenture! simply fantastic. My lady and I are planning the same trip starting August 2010 (gotta save some $$). I will be using yours and the Seguin brothers report as a tour guide.

Thanks sooooo much for taking me and averyone else on this website along for the ride. :clap :clap :clap :D
  12. Nina

Nina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THANKS :). Feel free to PM us if you have any specific questions. It looks like we are going to finally get to meet Joe Seguin in May when we ride from SF to Colorado Springs for a school reunion :D
  13. judgejoe

judgejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have saved your blog and just returned to see if there were any new entries. I see you are heading to Colorado Springs, CO, in May. As a former college and high school graduate in the Springs, which school are you heading for?
  14. sp4ce

sp4ce Orange Invader

Oddometer:
    Fountain Valley School, near Widefield.
  15. judgejoe

judgejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Since I lived and attended HS in Widefield, I am well acquainted with Fountain Valley School-very impressive. Now that I reflect back on your trip and some of the areas and routes you were willing to challenge, you fit in with their published values of open-mindedness, curiosity, courage and self reliance. Good Luck.
  16. sp4ce

sp4ce Orange Invader

Oddometer:
    Cool! Small world...

I'm in full-on moto withdrawal so I decided to ride to the reunion even though it isn't the greatest ride. A few weeks after we got back from the trip I did this:

[​IMG]

and the doc did this:

[​IMG]

So I went from riding hundreds of miles every day to zero :becca

Last week I couldn't take it any more and I cut the finger off an old glove so I can get it on over the splint and I'm riding to work. :ricky
  17. holiday

holiday DL650K7

Oddometer:
    It's very early. I'd only had a few sips of my first coffee. I was reading Your most recent post, very slowly. Blinking my eyes to clear the sleep from them..
    Then I get to the last sentence about your broken finger
    (quote) Last week I couldn't take it any more and I cut the finger off....
    :eek1 I choked and spit coffee all over the key board.
  18. Yoni

Yoni DARE!

Oddometer:
    Wow so much time since enyone responded
    I'm now in my AK to TDF Ride strated 18th of June in SF, went to Dead horse and then South now in Pucon Chile. I'd like to thank you again (I was responding during your trip in this RR) as I go to your RR from time to time to learn something I need to understand or know in details I search for other riders experiance.
    I dont write an RR here in ADV for my English as you see is not the best. but you can get lot of stuff in my blog www.harpatka.com

Thanks
    Yoni
  19. MarcMuller

MarcMuller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. Yoni

Yoni DARE!

Oddometer:
    I sit on every sentince i write in english for 5 minuts to be sure that i do it right
    so Im realy sorry. when i'll sit at home after the trip i will put the story here
    with all the pix and drowings and some videos
    It is a real big adventure.

Thanks again to the great info i got from others that did the rout and gave me the streetwise info i use now

Yoni