2wd Hack options??

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by McVick, Jun 9, 2009.

1. McVick

McVick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    as a Newb to Hacks I have a question which I hope is tolerable and hopefully will generate good discussion!

I am enamored by the Ural Patrol. I love the 2wd functionality of it however I am not so impressed by its overall lack of power and subsequent low highway speeds of 55-65mph.

Would it be possible to take a drive shaft bike like a BMW 1200GS and mate it to a Ural 2wd sidecar while preserving the 2wd functionality of the sidecar?

Could this be done with a chain driven bike?

Are there other options for a 2wd sidecar rig other than a Ural?

Thanks!
    Brian
    pops likes this.
  2. rapidrider

rapidrider rapidrider

Oddometer:
    Have you had any ride time on the newer Urals? You may find that the cruising speed of 60 -65 MPH is more than acceptable by most. You might be more than surprised.

I love my Patrol and the fact I see more as I ride than when on my faster bikes. It's great both on and off road. A true dual sport.

The Ural the most fun of any of the many bikes I have owned in my life and the last one I'd part with if I was forced down to only one bike.

:D
    Bar None likes this.
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything can be done with enough money, I suspect unless You can do all the fabricating, and machining Yourself, It would end up costing as much as a Ural, and a BMW rig combined. Do You really think You need 2wd? I have it on My Ural, and use it a lot, but I go looking for trouble. I use My Ural as primary transportation around Seattle, other than being forced to obey speed limits, I haven't found the power/speed to be a problem, but I'm not a know-it-all expert. I to will say, it is My all time favorite motorcycle out of the 20+ I have owned.
    pops and Bar None like this.
  4. McVick

McVick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good thoughts. Yes I need or want the 2wd as the bike would be used for remote off highway exploration. The extra speed will help with the necessary long highway miles getting to the areas to explore.

The reason for my original questions were to explore the realistic and practical options for a two wheel drive side car rig. The Ural is one option and very likely my solution, but are there others?

Regards,
    Brian
  5. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    pops likes this.
  7. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Yes cool stuff BUT VERY PRICEY.
    Two wheel drive can be cool but many have done quite well without it.
    davebig likes this.
  8. Sidecar Sarge

Sidecar Sarge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, it is said by old-time, dyed-in-the-wool Ural riders that a Tourist with the proper knobby rear tire will go 95% of the places a Gear-up/Patrol will go with their 2WD. (Plus costing A LOT less and having A LOT of fewer parts to break.)

From my old 4WD days... "The only thing 4WD is good for is getting you stuck in places it is harder to get a tow truck into!"

Sarge:devildog
    el Pete likes this.
  9. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    2wd is excellent for getting you out of places you got stuck in when in one wheel drive. If you get really stuck in 2wd then it is time to go to work.
    Seriously, 2 wd is not a bad thing at all but with the exception of a Ural is can be a very expensive proposition.
    Is it worth the dollars? Only can be answered by those that have it and actually have a need to use it.
    davebig and pops like this.
  10. postaldave

postaldave gone postal

Oddometer:
    i'm surprised someone hasn't fabed an ATV drivetrain into a sidecar rig. with a CVT drive it would make an awesome ADV sidecar rig.

with some work you "could" pull off a 3 wheel drive unit.

now THAT would be coooooool!

i would suggest starting with a V-twin can-am 800cc renegade.
    pops likes this.
  11. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not think an all terrain vehicle would be fun on the freeway over 60 mph. In fact, I suspect I would be very scared.

A guy in California named Robert Pelikan has made a couple of 2wd sidecars he fabbed himself. He hid a Mazda engine in the back of the sidecar. The one I saw was hella fast. Stupid fast. But it was made for speed and would have been a total total bad day as soon as you got past the soft shoulder or anything rougher than a front lawn.

AS far as I know, when you get something that does a little of everytihng, you end up with something that doesn't do anything GREAT.
    pops and airheadDan like this.
  12. Ivan Rider

Ivan Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been done but like others have said what's it worth to you. Here is a photo of one BMW with 2WD. I don't recall who owns it but he did it himself. I seldom use 2WD on my Ural but it's nice to have when you need it.
  13. Willi-Jens

Willi-Jens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If that's done by the owner himself I guess I know where he works or where he got the plan from ;-)

Have a look at the link Claude posted and look through the photos there....
  14. Willi-Jens

Willi-Jens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    true said
  15. Richard-NL

Richard-NL Sidecar Fan

Oddometer:
    I actually have this set-up. It wasn’t built by me. It’s what Mobec sell’s now by the name of DuoDrive. (I’m probably the only in this forum, who has one).

I mainly use it for getting Urals out of trouble. :D

[​IMG]

2WD uses power and it costs extra fuel. Mine has a top speed of only 105 -110 Mph. (gps) also because I have the end transmission of the 850 on it. It’s advantages are mainly in heavy terrain or steep slippery hills with mud, ice or deep snow. And I like that stuff. :evil

Like allready said, when you get stuck, there’s no-one who can come close to you.
    It has more parts, so evidently more can break down. And it can wear out your transmission if your bike is powerfull. Does it go as fast through the corner’s as a set-up that’s made for speed and the street. No. A Landrover will not drive as good as a Porsche in fast corners. On the other hand, the Porsche allready gets stuck on wet grass. Of course this also has to do with the ground clearance. Does it ride better than a stock outfit with m/c tires? Yes, evidently.

Can you put the Ural parts on your Beemer. After you solved the mounting problems, I bet they brake off, the first time you open the throttle.

Does it cost a lot of money? Yes, but when I see how many people farkle up their outfit with completely unnecessary bling-bling, they cannot live without, it makes you think. People buy without blinking their eyes a brand new Harley or BMW 1200 GS, but when it comes to building a decent hack, it all suddenly is "expensive". See the discussion about car wheels and tires. The "is it worth the investment" discussion. You can also choose something, just because it makes the outfit better for your purpose.

I can show you different kinds of solutions. Before you think of 2WD for off road riding, you need some other things first: ground clearance, the right wheels / tires, then snow chains and then 2WD. It’s difficult to compare apples and pears.

Do you need 2WD? No, but there’s a lot you don’t need. In fact a sidecar is a thing you don’t "need". If you need something practical on the road, buy a car. If you want the ultimate off-road vehicle, buy a quad with tracks. But, we’re talking hacks here.

Does 2WD on an outfit make fun, when you’re looking for trouble? Yes, it does. :D

Richard-NL :bmwrider
    davebig and pops like this.
  16. mantree

mantree Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know I drive a lifted xterra at freeway speeds all the time with no sway bars.
  17. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride

Oddometer:
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
  18. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure Uncle Ernie can't hear you, and is beyond the point of caring.
    pops, Bar None, Bobmws and 1 other person like this.
  19. Bar None

Bar None Old School Dude

Oddometer:
    RIP Uncle Ernie. I knew him from the old W650 days.
  20. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who are you going to be riding with, a two wheel motorcycle or another motorcycle / sidecar with two wheel drive option ? Another issue is mpg, the mileage to the next gas station, how many gallons are you planning on carrying or the round trip mileage from your last gas fill up ?