3/4 loop around the USA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RuckedUp, Jun 8, 2020.

1. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been on the road since the 19th of May. I decided to jump on the R1200GS and hit the road after trying to do my civic duty. I have been using campgrounds, hotels and friends homes to stay. I'm currently in Spokane to visit a fallen hero I served with back in 2005. I'm estimating I have close to 4000 miles left on the trip. I'll be due a rear tire and oil change come SD. Looking to have the service done in Sturgis. I figured that was fitting. I'm not a big bike rally sort so I figured I would at least see the area with not so many bikers around. Image 6-7-20 at 7.53 PM.jpg
    Dan Diego, Cav47, Foiler and 5 others like this.
  2. BigMule

BigMule n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks as if you originated around Huntsville Alabama.....but what a great trip! I’m just south of Atlanta and I’m leaving out on a similar trip come July 6. But I’m going in a counter clockwise direction.....up to Michigan, northern Wisconsin and Minnesota.....then just south of the Canadian border out to Washington. Anyway.....continue with safe travels and enjoy some great scenery!!
    RuckedUp likes this.
  3. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    Many years back the BMW/Yamaha Dealer in Sturgis got my BMW1150GSA back on the road within 24 hrs after a Final Drive failure.
    Great Guys

Be sure t loop south and take all the small roads thru/around Custer State Park.
    For best view IMO approach Mt Rushmore from the south.

Safe Travels
    RuckedUp likes this.
  4. Late for the Party

Late for the Party Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels, and look forward to hearing some reports of road conditions and experiences from Oregon / Washington legs.
  5. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    Made it to Wisconsin a few days ago. Taking a break at a friends home. I head out tomorrow for the UP of Michigan. Riding weather for the last week was cool. The forecast looks to be improving over the next week. Sun and no rain works for me!
    My rear tire; a Shinko 705, has just over 6500 miles on it and I think I can stretch it out for another 1k. Oil change will be delayed till I get back to the house. Alot of high speed back road miles so I don't think 1500 over the recommended 6k will cause any problems. I ran into problems at the BMW shop in Sturgis. They would not hook me up with a rear tire change. Schedule was "To booked" to help out a on the road traveler. I was not going to wait around for 3 days for a 10 min job. So no sale no money from me. Very disappointing to say the least!

Attached Files:

6. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    Southern OR was great weather and great high speed back roads. Most services were open. Around Mt. Hood I got a ton of rain and the temps were into heated gear territory. Only spent a night in Portland and took a ride along the Columbia River. I was going to loop thru Seattle but with all the BS going on I avoid big cities when I can. The WA leg was to swing by and pay respects to a fallen brother in arms near Cheney WA. clint.jpg
    zg1286, LS650, DougA and 2 others like this.
  7. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    Just rolled into the house from MI yesterday. 7868 miles on a rear Shinko 705 and I still have 500 or so miles left on it! Great trip as all I wanted to do was ride and visit friends I have not seen in some cases over 30 years. Do it while you can!

Attached Files:

LS650, Cav47, Vrode and 1 other person like this.
  8. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    Times must have changed! Not sure if same dealer but the BMW stealer in Sturgis gave zero fucks about helping out someone on the road.
  9. PittsDriver

PittsDriver Fuse lit.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I envy anyone that can get away to spend a month on the ride. Thank you for your service to our country.

That's really disappointing about your experience at the dealer in Sturgis. My local BMW dealer will always drop what they're doing to take care of anyone on the road and the few times I've needed some help even a dirt bike shop would take me right in for a new tire mounting. I think BMW N. America is taking a more active interest in how dealerships are managed - maybe a customer service email to them would be in order to tell them of your experience. Might help a future traveler passing through there?
    RuckedUp likes this.
  10. LS650

LS650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WTF! I mean, if they said we're busy - give us a few hours, that's one thing, but no time for 3 days to put on a simple tire? I find that hard to fathom.
  11. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    I was pissed off for three states worth of riding.
  12. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    This was all to common on my attempts to visit National Parks and tourist hot spots. Thanks China ya FF!

20200611_100946.jpg 20200611_131025.jpg 20200611_131140.jpg 20200611_133043.jpg
  13. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    While in Montana I was able to visit a friends daughter working as a Wrangler at the Bar W ranch just south of Whitefish. Great operation and great staff. Went on a fun filled 3 hour guided trail ride. I was feeling the effects of the horse ride the next day on the bike but well worth the side adventure!

20200609_112459.jpg 20200609_120233.jpg 20200609_112509.jpg
    Suncoaster likes this.
  14. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    Just throwing up random state line locations along the way.

20200604_104133.jpg

Attached Files:

15. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    20200603_123859.jpg Nevada. Las Vegas was not scheduled to open till the day after I took these photos. I ended up going North around Area 51 and beat feet to Cali.

Attached Files:

16. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    My stop over in St. George UT was made possible by an ol flight school buddy of mine. He and his family put me up and fed me well for a few days. Now I just need to win the lottery and I'll be able to move there and get some of that sweet SW riding year round!

20200601_105733.jpg 20200601_091136.jpg 20200601_080319.jpg
  17. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    South Rim @ the Grand Canyon and a few from the camp site that evening. North Rim was closed due to the Wuhan as were all the Reservations I drove thru. Oh and there is no lake at Jacob Lake. Derp!

Attached Files:

18. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    The stop into Phoenix AZ was to visit my stick buddy from flight school. If your gonna visit this time of year make sure your destination has a pool in the backyard. A little shade a few beers make for a very relaxing few days off the bike. The photo with my pal in front of the Po-Po station was Rob picking up his police report after his son drove his 911 thru someones front yard wall. If your going to let your 13 year old get some stick time in the race machine best to do that in a big parking lot...Just sayen. I could not bring myself to take photos of the car. Everyone was all right and many lessons learned I'm sure!!

Attached Files:

19. artimus_maximus

artimus_maximus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have had to set a land speed record on that road. It just calls for it!!
    RuckedUp likes this.
  20. RuckedUp

Oddometer:
    The thought had crossed my mind. One major factor are the cows hiding in the weeds that kept my speeds in check. I was lucky enough to stop at a construction STOP and had a chat with the gentleman manning the sign. He told me to keep a eye out for greener grass growing away from the road. Cows like to lay around those areas. Sure enough I slowed down around these areas and had two calfs run into the road like squirrels do. Saved me from a foookedUp day!
    artimus_maximus likes this.