1. eNewsletter Sign Up

3 Bad Hombres go south of the border to Copper Canyon, Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Yinzer Moto, Mar 24, 2019.

1. LtCrashDan

LtCrashDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 4 started out with some amazing views:
    [​IMG]

Once someone gets out of the way, you can see the real view:
    [​IMG]

Jason did tell me the master link was on backwards, but I do swear the directions explicitly stated towards the direction of travel with an image. Well I was carrying several spares, he says we shall see when we change the master link, no big deal easy enough if it does happen, at least I have a case saver....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The extra piece of sandman case saver bolts into the lower right stock hole from the stock guard. The chain hit this, and took out that connecting piece of the case saver, and pulled the entire stock threads and part of the case with it. We got it back together with JB steel Stick. And then rode easy until we got oil from a super friendly guy from under his hood. Through my broken spanish he started speaking english, and when I asked tu habla ingles? he goes, shit I didn't even realize I was speaking english. As Jason said, this lead us to learning a great lesson early in the trip. We got fresh picked herbs, and muy picante salsa with some exceptional huevos rancheros.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and I now have enough oil to help me feel secure.

Across from the store there was an old church and cemetary
    [​IMG]

and further down a cool old abandoned church
    [​IMG]

Que Carajo though with that bad hombre and his barbed wire. Was that a gringo toll?

Closer to Urique we wanted to explore a valley we saw on google maps and e32, it lead to nothing really, but a cool ride none the less
    [​IMG]

We go back to the same Urique Hotel, and do some exploring of some local roads in which our e32 maps try to get us to take some crazy goat path.

A cool old building in Urique now a little shop
    [​IMG]

We ate at the Plaza restaurant. Super nice lady, and probably the best cheese I have ever had. Super reasonable prices too and cool decor:
    [​IMG]

Day 4 ride:
    [​IMG]
  2. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    Here is my Day 1 and 2 video.

It may not be viewable in a lot of countries due to the song choice, I may have to fix that but this one seemed to fit well.
  3. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    In! Loving it so far

Hi from NZ

S
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Day 5: 200KM

Urique to Batopilas, the long way around

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 6.50.36 AM.png

We learned our lesson about the Urique gas station a couple days ago and had gotten gas the evening before. So in the morning, all we had to do was get breakfast and hit the road. I believe we ate breakfast at the Plaza restaurant again. She brought us all one pancake to start and honey to put on top. I have never had honey on top of a pancake and it was delicious.

We then left out of Urique to the south east, the way we came in a few days ago. It was a fun climb up the mountain.

IMG_5879.jpg

It was a fairly short ride over to Batoplias and we crossed the low water bridge in the late morning.

IMG_5882.jpg

While waiting for the others at the bridge, I had time to play with the GPS and look for something that might take a few hours. I found a loop that was about 75 miles. I did not look at the elevation or where it was exactly going but by the chart above, you can see the fun we had. We basically just crossed the paved road that enters Batopilas from the north and went back off into the mountains.

Soon, we were over 8000ft. The way the terrain changes in Mexico is just spectacular. I really loved the riding when we got up around 8000ft. The trees got bigger, the roads were covered in pine needles. There even seemed to be a little more dirt and less sand/rock. We also saw the effects of the rain storm from a couple days ago. There was snow of signifiant depth.

IMG_5885.jpg

This snow was 2 days old at this point, they may have had a few inches up here a couple days ago. The houses with metal roofs had piles of snow that were a couple feet tall that had slid off of the roofs. This loop was not really planned and turned out to be really fun.

Continued....
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 5 continued

We dropped back down he mountain and were getting close to Batopilas again. There was another water crossing to get back on the correct side of the river. There were 3 options. 1 was a vehicle bridge that was under construction, they were setting rebar to prepare for the concrete pour. So it was not really an option. Second was to cross the river. I dont like water, noting can ruin your day faster than crossing deep water and dropping the bike. The potential of ruining a motor is too great. This crossing was not too deep, maybe 18" but it appears to be lined with bowling ball sized rocks. The last option was a foot bridge. There were no stairs leading to the foot bridge, so I opted for that. I did the math in my head I figured my bike and I weighed about what a Mexican family would weigh and I just saw a family cross it.

This video is from the next morning. My first crossing is in the video in the next post. I made the mistake of standing and that caused the bridge to start swaying back and forth. It was a little scary but fun at the same time.

Danny opted to cross the river. I am not sure he has had to deal with many drowned bikes and the effects, he is not very scared of deep water or puddles. Many times hitting them at scary fast speeds for me. The water was splashing over his front fender as he crossed. If it was a smooth crossing, I may have considered it. He got across without much trouble other than wet feet.

Ron crossed the bridge behind me.

Then we visited the Mission, Danny had heard a lot of things about it and really wanted to see it.

Finally, we entered Batopilas. A word of caution, Mexico does not mark much on their streets. We were riding along the river and I was looking at the sights and I look back and I am coming up on a loading dock. Thankfully, I looked back, I was able to blip the throttle and pop off of it, the others saw this and just followed me. There was a guy working on his car, he saw the whole thing and was in shock.

Similar to Urique, we did a bunch of laps around town till we found gas. It is a beautiful town. We ended up getting gas through a metal hatch in a wall.

IMG_5886.jpg

Then we got a hotel room from a guy who was not real interested in helping us. He was supposed to open a set of doors so we could pull our bikes inside but he just got into his truck and left. We wandered around for 20 min or so but the door had a padlock on it. He eventually showed back up and seemed confused why we were wandering around. It took him a while to find the keys, FYI, they are kept in the shelves of the little table near the door.

IMG_5887.jpg

We got unloaded in the room and walked around town.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 5 video

I think this might be the best one yet.

7. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report!
    Your red tree reminds me a little of manzanita, but I’m not sure.
    08StangGT_CS and Yinzer Moto like this.
  8. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Great updates man!! :clap
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  9. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IN!! Great report, pics, video and narration.....top notch, Thanks!!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  10. kelbor

kelbor n00b

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard and Yinzer Moto like this.
  11. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  12. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahh, Juanita's place. many a great end of the day had in that courtyard.
    dont forget to buy some of the local hooch from the bar across the plaza from Juanita's, true firewater!
    Would be nice if someone could put together gps tracks of that whole area, and road conditions. All three times ive been there have all been on big dual sports, never too eager to get way out off the beaten path. Someday...
    Ginger Beard and Yinzer Moto like this.
  13. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying your ride report. The video crossing the bridge is insane. :thumb
    Shaggie, levain and Yinzer Moto like this.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    We never saw anything that was too bad as far as road conditions up to this point in the trip. It has just been slightly rough road. If you can do most of the passes in Colorado, you’d be fine on these roads. The best way I can describe it is basically riding Engineer Pass all day long. Maybe 150-200 mi of constant Engineer Pass. So not awful difficulty but not MABDR easy. Later in this trip, we start to get roads that turn into foot path and singletrack. Again a good big bike rider would be ok but I never got along with my R1200GS that much to try this stuff. The most I would want is a DR650 with good suspension. I think the 250cc bikes were absolutely perfect.
    Merlin44, OU812, Bultaco206 and 2 others like this.
  15. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Almost all of the roads are on the OSM maps and are routable. You just have to zoom in to less than 1.5 miles to see them.
    The E32 maps have the roads also but they aren't routable. The E32 "Rutas Offroad" are taken from tracks submitted to the mapmaker by riders.
    Google Earth is valuable for looking at the terrain the roads go through.

Condition reports would be difficult because roads can and do change dramatically in a very short period of time (like hours or days).
    Merlin44, OU812 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:

Some of the E32 is foot paths. There were a few sections of the Rutas Off-road that turned into singletrack foot paths. It was fun on the little bikes but the most I would want for that would be a DR650. I do know a couple people who would have done that stuff on a Super T or a 1200GS. The foot paths generally traversed easier terrain.
  17. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why are you reading comments when you should be working on the report. I'm going to Moab in about week and want to have the full report before I go.:lol3
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I’ll be there too! Leaving PGH on the 4th.

I am waiting for Danny to submit his part. In the past, our trip reports became a jumbled mess, I am trying to be a little more neat about this one. Danny said he would have some stuff to submit tonight.
    OU812 and Bultaco206 like this.
  19. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great reading!!!
    FYI, E32 map legend:
    Vereda = path or trail
    Brecha = dirt road
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  20. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    Got busy at work today, got behind on my Day 5 post. The way up to the top from Urique was much easier than coming down (I prefer hill climbs than decents), and we made pretty good time. We stopped at a rock outcropping a good portion of the way up that we could climb. Originally driving by, I thought this was an aloe plant, but I think this is a variant of Agave, what so many of liquid refreshments we would have were made of:

[​IMG]

I thought this was a cool shot from up on the ledge looking down at the left side of the valley:
    [​IMG]

Panoramic of the entire valley
    [​IMG]

We would ride up to the famous signs, and snap one of my favorite pictures of the ride @racerron coming up the hill. It looks fake:
    [​IMG]

We would continue on riding the road at elevation until we got close to Batopilas. You can slightly see the road to the left we decided to take to loop around Batopilas, and the road to the right looks like it would be awesome as well, I'm pretty sure we came in on the road following the river, and left that way the next day too.
    [​IMG]

As we looped around, we went from lower desert type terrain to well over 8200 ft. As we lowered in elevation we rode the rim of this valley which looked cool, but I don't think picture does it justice:
    [​IMG]

We would stop at the mission as it seemed like a popular spot. I don't know I would suggest it to others, maybe because it was closed at the time, and a lady did come to open it for us, but just seemed to want to rush us around and ask for money. Some of the buildings near there were pretty neat though:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We would end at Juanitas, who I believe I was told she was currently in Chihuahua. The guy also didn't seem to want 3 of us to stay in a room and wasn't going to give us a third towel. An american couple pointed out the price sheet that clearly said 4 person occupancy for 2 double beds 500 pesos. We would meet Mensa (not sure if that is her name) here who would offer to guard our bikes for us. She also told us she had rooms for 100 peso's per person (something around that), but we had already booked at Juanita's, who she says is her niece.
    [​IMG]

We would have dinner at a place across from Restaurant Carolina's, at a place the american couple suggested. They said Carolina's was only OK, but this lady had a rotating menu of about 4 items she would cook every day. On the way to dinner, we passed a hardware store that had saddles for sale right up front on display. I should have grabbed a pic, but I had dinner and cerveza's on the mind.

Day 5 graph and track:
    [​IMG]