3 Bad Hombres go south of the border to Copper Canyon, Mexico

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Yinzer Moto, Mar 24, 2019.

1. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    What a great report! You guys really explored CC on those little bikes. I have been on bigger bikes and didn't see what you saw. Great job!!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did run tubliss. I started with 20psi and dropped it to about 15 when we hit the mountains. I have the original gen tubliss on this bike and it has a raised allen head on the rim lock. On the last day, that allen head punctured my tire like a hole punch. I tried to plug the hole but it was too big. I ended up putting a tube in and duct tape across the hole.
  3. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Thank you. That was our goal. To go places that are out of the way.
  4. LtCrashDan

LtCrashDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Day 8

It was a cold morning as well, I was happy to get my coffee and oatmeal, but once on the road we quickly got warmed up. That was probably due to what seemed like an endless hillclimb out of the valley this day. We tried to camp at as low of elevation as possible, and ended up being very near to an area of natural protection quite a bit lower than the area around it.

The shop we ended up stopping at was very interesting, it was filled with boxes of shoes and clothing in plastic wrap like they just came off a truck. But they were clearly making the beef Jerky they were selling, and some locals came and got some other local looking goods in jars. I had to tell Ron to look up at what he was standing under:

[​IMG]

We moved quickly, but unfortunately did not cover a lot of ground due to flats. We made it up to Basaseachi which is a pretty cool overlook. We met a character up top who spoke good english and watched the bikes for us. He offered to trade his 125 for one of our wr's, I told him I would have, but unfortunately it looked like his had been dropped before, and mine clearly has only ever been rubber side down... I wish I got a picture of his bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We then headed back to Uruachi. As a Jason mentioned, we went looking for a man grilling Carne Asada, his name was Hector. We couldn't communicate super well, but Hector was one awesome and helpful dude. He took me to his shop which he opened up for me, sold me 2 18's, 2 21s, a repair kit, and then gave me a bag full of stroop lemons or something like that. It was basically a mix between a lemon (lime as the mexicans call it) and orange. Unfortunately they weren't super ripe, but I bet if they were, it would have been delicious. I don't have the name of his shop, but if you ever need anything in Uruachi, look for Hector grilling with a Michelob ultra infront of a red building, or make your way to his shop here https://www.google.com/maps/place/2...5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d27.87043!4d-108.2141753. He also connected me to his shop's wifi while we were there in case I needed it.

We got back, and made our way to Don Lalo hotel. I asked for a room with 3 bed's, which the guy said he had, but then he kept telling me he had rooms with 1 and 2 bed's as well. It wasn't until I went to get the key for our room that I realized he was making a joke. He showed me all the keys he had, and it would appear we were the only ones not form Uruachi in town. We would be sent to a womans home to buy beer a few times, and drink the rest of our tequila that night while watching the cars u-turn at our intersection. On one occasion a supply truck with a 25ft ish concrete pull would make the u-turn as well, and take out part of the fence.
    Our hotel room would also have the best picture of any hotel room i've ever stayed in:
    [​IMG]

The director of tourism of the town actually came up and introduced himself to us as well, although the language barrier was pretty bad, he explained that the cars driving was a nightly tradition. I'm not sure what it was about Uruachi, I think the people, but I really enjoyed that town.

[​IMG]
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 9: 240KM

Uruachi to Cerocahui

Day 9 GPS.png

We got up and were on the bikes a little after 7am. We did a bunch of laps around town looking for the gas station. Eventually we found it on the north end of town on the main road leaving town. Then we went back down the restaurant next to the hotel for some breakfast. We headed out of town to the south around 8:30. The scenery was just stunning. This part of Mexico is just fascinating in how much the scenery changes. We got up to 9000 feet in elevation pretty quickly.

We stopped at a little store for gator aid and some snacks.

IMG_5911.jpg

I grabbed this screenshot from he video. I love how even the dog is on the truck.

Day 9 truck.png

IMG_5912.jpg

Continued.....
    drifteast, SuperChuck, OU812 and 5 others like this.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 9 continued....

I really wanted to ride up that hill over Ron's left shoulder.

IMG_5913.jpg

We followed the dirt until it hit asphalt. We played with the GPS' for a few min, trying to figure out where to go. The first ADV type person we have see went zipping by on a BMW. We decided to hit up Temori for lunch and then try to get back to Bahuichivo for the evening. We headed out in the same direction as the BMW rider. Eventually we caught up with him and passed. Eventually the road turned to dirt again, it was well maintained dirt. Then Danny got another flat. :fpalm Luckily I only had to ride back a short distance. The BMW rider had stopped and was chatting with us. It turns out it is @VTbeemer. We all decided to go have lunch together. We set off first on the dirt because VTbeemer had some more road oriented tires on his bike. When we got to Temori, he was not all that far behind, he was hauling ass on those slick tires in the dirt.

After a fun lunch of chatting with a fellow adventure rider, we headed back toward Bahuchivo. I was having a hard time with these roads. They are more main roads and traffic is moving a lot faster. There are also semi trucks. It was a bit of cultural shock, after riding little tiny roads for the last week. As we approached town, the police had the road closed ahead. Luckily we did not need to go to that direction. We saw two hotels in Bahuchivo but neither seemed to have any secure place for the bikes. So we rode on to Cerocahui. Danny had a hotel bookmarked on the GPS there. When we got to the hotel. They wanted $4500 for a room! The girl was nice enough to suggest another place. As we walked out, Vtbeemer showed up. We all went to the other place and split 2 rooms.

I met a friend outside while there were figuring out the rooms for the night.

IMG_5914.jpg

Our hotel had a nice courtyard with chickens in a tree.

IMG_5916.jpg

We had dinner at a house that was a few doors down.
    drifteast, Plebeian, OU812 and 7 others like this.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 9 video

drifteast, Plebeian, OU812 and 2 others like this.
  8. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    For day 9, I have hardly any pictures. I think I had done such awesome terrain and views the first half I got so many pics then, and saw less I wanted a picture of. There was a nice view at the beginning of the day Uruachi. Our plan was to head towards Bahuchivo and then another day we might take a route through Maguarichi, we never did make it that way, but it looks like a sweet ride too (for next time). I did get one last scenic pic before the we hit pavement:

[​IMG]

The way to Temoris was dusty dirt, and we would take this road back out as well. I would get to test my new Mexican tubes and see if they would hold up (its still in the bike now and held up the rest of the trip). The way out was much worse, and traffic was very heavy. I came within 5 ft of rearending a jeep parked in the middle of the road. A big truck swerved left, and i thought i had an opportunity to overtake him on the inside, well a jeep appeared out of nowhere in the dust, I could see it just in time. We would have to pass a few other vehicles on this road as we wound our way out on the very dusty dirt road. We told @VTbeemer we were going to stay in Bahuchivo, and figured he could make it to Cerocahui no problem as he was heading further south. There were 2 hotels in Bahuchivo, but I don't think one was even open, and the town did not look like a great place to stay. We passed a cool looking inn/hotel that was probably out of our price range, but no one answered anyways. Then the Hotel mission which was empty, and they would not budge on their price. The place had hot tubs, pools, and a wine vineyard. It took us 15 minute just to find something, kind of odd as they didn't seem to be expecting guests either...

I didn't see a name of the place, but the store directly across the plaza from the church had rooms including breakfast and so they said hot water.... 500 pesos per room with breakfast though, not bad:

[​IMG]

The only restaurant we could find was in a house 2 doors down, but she was closed. She asked if we wanted chicken and mushrooms and it sounded great, so we did and she opened up for us.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 10: 210KM

Cerocahui to Creel

Singletrack mind

03C98C64-7F33-4511-B398-126681089509.png

The hotel room included breakfast, so we all went in around 7am and sat down. We had a great conversation with VTbeemer. He has been to some far away places and I hope to get that opportunity someday. We were not in a big hurry because it was pretty chilly out this morning. The sun was out and doing its job. We said our goodbyes to VTbeemer and set off.

We blasted the pavement north to Bahuchivo and were there pretty quick. Coming out of Bahuchivo we turned on the famous low road. It was a nice ride, better than the asphalt on the high road.

We stopped at the adventure park to take in some sights.

50CB0883-7E2C-4F9A-BB82-D3E3861228C9.jpeg

VTbeemer suggested a turn off that went to a nice town. We thought we took at turn off but then the road necked down into single track. I just went with it and kept riding it. It was a really fun section of trail. Eventually it led to a house. I stopped and grandma came running out to greet us. Then she started talking about cerveza, it was like 10am, we were not really in the mood. She ran back in and came out with a bucket with some type of fermented drink in it that she makes. I did not dar to drink but Danny took her up on the offer. It was served out of a wooden ladle. The whole family came out and shook hands with us.

Then we asked if we could continue the direction we were going and she said yes and pointed that direction. I lost the trail and circled back after a minute. Grandma ran down to sho us where the trail was. Once on the trail again, we were good to do. We rode a bit more trail and then found our way to the highway. Creel was a short ride up the road.

Once in Creel, we grabbed lunch. There were a bunch of BMWs in front of one restaurant, so we bought it might be a good place. After lunch we found a hotel in town. We still had a lot of daylight left, so we headed out for some more exploring. We found even more excellent single track and rode to some pretty remote areas. This was my favorite day of riding yet.

8839F38A-81D4-446A-8DC3-71D9C5D47051.jpeg

Ron had a bit of trouble on this ledge.

2E467C0D-BF42-4DDC-B6C4-79E017F0F9B5.jpeg
    drifteast, SuperChuck, OU812 and 6 others like this.
  10. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    My Mexico Day 5 & 6 Video
  11. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 10 video

This is my favorite video so far.

12. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    Day 10, Ron's famous last words on that ledge coming down (this is the one in the pic, he was upside down at first) - "Its always easier going back up than it is going down"

The ride out was still chili, I put on my heated jacket, but it didn't last long. The low road out of Bahuchivo was pretty nice, it was not super challenging, and I would say this is certainly doable on any adventure bike.

The adventure park had some nice views, but I still prefer those above Urique:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In creel, we had lunch at Restaurant La Cabana, this is where we saw the Beemers outside. I think this is where I had my first torta, i'm not sure why the guys waited so long to tell me how good those things are:
    [​IMG]

We checked hotel casca, but they were a bit high at 900 a night for two beds. It did include breakfast, and we would have stayed if they threw in some cerveza's, but they would not. We headed to the Taramuri hotel on Dan's suggested, and scored $500 a night for 2 nights with 2 bedrooms and 4 beds, plus hot water and working heat. This was good for me, because it was my turn to sleep on the floor.
    [​IMG]

The family at the house was awesome, the lady was so excited to have visitors. The bucket liquor wasn't so bad either, it was a bit watery though. I thought it was pulque, but later realized it was corn based as she said maize. She wanted to cook us lunch too, but we had just eaten not that long ago.

We would also hit some farm area along a river. We started climbing a pretty steep rock road, it was almost cobblestone, except there was no mortar. We quickly came upon a group still building the road, they told us to turn around. Jason believes maybe it was a road to a grow operation, as there was no roads leading up to this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in town was another failed attempt at finding Mezcal (it was from Oaxaca, but not good stuff), but we did get some decent tequila and tecate's. I also picked a natural remedy up for Jason:
    [​IMG]

We had another run-in with a shady character following us into the hotel room:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    drifteast, SuperChuck, OU812 and 9 others like this.
  13. Tiger993

Tiger993 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That single track trail looks AWESOME!
  14. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    It was. So prefect. I am pissed we waited till day 10 to really start riding it. The entire country is covered in trails like that.
  15. Chabochi

Chabochi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome report. I lived in Cerocahui for 9 years. Should of stopped by my place, it is on your right side just before the tunnel as you come from Bahiichivo. The low road though Cuiteco is a good alternative to the new paved high road. It was even better before they put all the bridges in, lots of water crossings back then.
    OU812, LtCrashDan and Yinzer Moto like this.
  16. Johnnydarock

Johnnydarock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent Video #10. My favorite too. Great riding and spectacular scenery!
    OU812 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Are you near the hotel looking place? We tried that place but no one was home.
  18. LtCrashDan

Oddometer:
    Yea, that sounds like the place we tried. We knocked several times, went around back, but couldn't find anyone. Just a dog to greet us, so we moved on. It did look really cool though.
    OU812 and Bultaco206 like this.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 11: 170KM

Creel day trip

Day 11 GPS.png

Yesterday we had run out of planned route for our trip, that we wanted to do. There were a few loops but they had some really remote and unknown sections and we wanted to be back in Texas tomorrow. So we had booked 2 nights in the hotel in Creel and today we were just going to go exploring. I looked at the GPS and found places were the elevation contour lines were very close together and we tried to ride to this places.

We started off the morning by heading South West out of Creel to a spot that was rumored to have some hot spring pools. A short way down the dirt road was a toll booth. He wanted $100 each to pass through. Danny's negation skills got him down to $120 total, actually Danny got him down to $150 and then the guy just asked for 120. :imaposer

When the road started to drop into the canyon, they had paved the road with rocks, it was extremely bumpy, worse than any rocky road. I ended up with a front flat. I am running the 1st gen tubliss and it has a design flaw on the rim lock where the allen head bolt is raised above the rim lock. It acted like a hole punch and knocked a clean 6MM hole right through my tire. My sticky rope plugs were covered in dusty dirt and would not work. So I pulled the tubliss and put a tube in. I put a strip of duct tape across the hole in the tire.

55443498_10101505721504273_1419548100770398208_n.jpg

Once back on the road, we defended to the bottom of the valley to the hot springs. They were really warm springs. It is an interesting spot. I just love the thought of water that is heated by the molten core of the earth and is coming out of the side of a mountain.

IMG_5935.jpg

After this, I had seen some really close contour lines on the GPS and it indicated a creek or river was passing over that area. So we decided to try and follow foot paths over that direction to see what is over there.

It did not disappoint.

IMG_5939.jpg

Continued....
    drifteast, SuperChuck, OU812 and 5 others like this.
  20. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Day 11 continued....

After a good bit of nice single track, we came across this viewpoint.

IMG_5940.jpg

We could not see the waterfall yet but the GPS said we were close. So we rode around a bit more and then found a good view of it.

IMG_5943.jpg

This is another that I would love to see during high water levels.

Looking at the GPS, I could see a dirt road leading to what appeared to be a very remote village at the edge of the canyon. We decided it would be fun to ride out there. Danny had thought he maybe heard of this village before, it took a little convincing to get him to do the ride. It was a really scenic ride. Danny ran out of water during the ride there. The ride out was a maze of foot paths and dirt road. At one point, Danny was in the back but took a shortcut and ended up in front of us. Without us knowing. We had Sent radios but they really dont have good distance and quickly lost communication. It took 20-30 min but I figured out he was in front of us and Ron and I hauled ass to catch him.

We got to the village and it was in a really spectacular lunar landscape and positioned right at the edge of the canyon.

Once in the village, we found a small store where were able to buy cokes. I refilled my camelback from the rain barrel. For this Mexico trip, I had installed a water filter on my camelback hose. So I could fill it anywhere. I forgot to ask why but Danny and Ron did not and they relied on getting bottled water. This caused several issues during the trip and just seemed like an inconvenience.

We saddled up and headed back toward Creel. The trip back went a little faster. At least until the GPS map started failing us. It said there were roads in the area and there were not. There were foot paths, it was getting late and we needed to get out of there. Eventually we backtracked to where we had seen a small town and asked. The directions we got were not on the map but they worked like a charm. Soon we were back in Creel.

We stopped at the small cave house outside of Creel for some souvenirs.

IMG_5944.jpg

Then back into town for what would most likely be our last night in Mexico.
    drifteast, SuperChuck, levain and 6 others like this.