3 Blokes from New Hampshire Visit Colorado and Utah - 2020

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AdamChandler, Sep 26, 2020.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    September 1st, Day 11, today's GPX Upload is skewed because it is accurate for our day but it is Alpine Loop + our night drive to Colorado Springs on our way back home.

Day Riding - Alpine Loop:
    [​IMG]

Full day of riding / driving:
    [​IMG]

There were a lot of internal emotions this day because I was bummed the trip was over and I really had to get back to work...like really couldn't be away much longer but I also was so happy today was full of great memories and just exceptional riding.

We did:
    1. Alpine Loop
    2. Cinnamon Pass
    3. Engineer Pass (the easy way)
    4. Animas Forks
    We started our day with snow....seriously:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jeez. Like some travel ad or something. it really is times like this that I'm so happy that I have the ability to own a full-frame camera even if I don't really know how to use it to its fullest potential. I just LOVE how these photos came out. If you can go to my Flickr page and open these full size, they're truly extraordinary.

We did go into town and got some breakfast and I took a photo of a dog on a quad and of some very unique snack food:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The breakfast spot was pretty good. Food was great, just no one was in town. Turns out the town's tourists were clearing out! The restaurant I went to later in the day said they were closing in a week until next Summer. The population of the town goes down to I think they said 800 people in the Winter time. That's gotta get pretty lonely depending on what kind of personality you have.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh...I forgot to mention I took a few drone photos too:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

---

Then we headed off for the Alpine Loop. Freaking gorgeous! Every shot was just so great today. I'm really impressed I was able to capture everything so well. Must be all of the snow photos I take in New Hampshire :p

We came across a man living at the top of the mountain with a small Hutt surrounded by 250 sheep, 2 horses and a momma and puppy sheep dog:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Climbing Engineer pass:

...and we freaking make it! the trail started getting pretty slushy. Turns out this was their first snow of the season and the ATVs did us a favor by breaking up the ice and making the climb easier:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

A few photos from the Drone:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We make our way now down the mountain to Animas Forks. I completely agree with some advice we heard before our trip that riding Engineer pass from Lake city is way easier than from the other direction. there are some pretty technical shelves you'll need to navigate and then immediate switch backs that require some momentum with loose dirt. Going down the hard side was much easier on a big R1200GSA:
    [​IMG]

Animas Forks:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then, while the guys were peeing, I started heading up cinnamon pass thinking they'd catch up but I actually beat them there by about a minute which made for some good photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The guys playing with a snowball:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My last photo of the guys as they look over American Gulch:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This day was so memorable. Just thinking about me makes me want to close my eyes and replay the ride all over again.

-----
    I get to enjoy this delicious BBQ sandwich and sweet tea after our awesome ride:
    [​IMG]

Red Card got this great photo of me:
    [​IMG]

We get back to camp and Red Card tells us he's going to stay another night and enjoy some quiet solitude. I don't blame him. Moxom and I load up and started to head back east first dropping by Colorado Springs to stay in the cheapest hotel of the trip but also one where we were concerned about the trailer getting broken into.

On the way out of there, we did have a slow leak on the Tacoma and the Moto Pumps took a long time but it got the job done!
    [​IMG]

No other photos or videos that night. We got a bit of sleep then we got up to continue our journey.

Attached Files:

2. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    September 2nd - 4th...the 2400 mile drive home!

Phew, I admit I didn't capture many photos or videos on the way home. Work was overwhelming me, I was pretty tired and we were all feeling a strain of tight remaining funds in the budget and trying to just eat cheap and fast and make it home. If you skip everything below, here are our remaining videos in the series but I have a surprise.

Red Card did a great job recording his last day of Riding so while Moxm and I were driving across Kansas, he was riding around Lake City still and so he had some clips I was able to make into a video. Unfortunately, these videos are quiet and sped up because he plays copyright music into his Sena camera which embeds that audio into the video and when I upload it to YouTube, it gets blocked from playing everywhere. I guess Rolling Stones don't like me using their music? So I just muted his clips. Makes it less fun but maybe we can get him over to a GoPro next time:

Here are videos that basically take us home minus the last one where I do a VoiceOver narration of the photos you've all seen but Youtube people have not that video goes up tomorrow at 8AM and I'm linking it below but it won't work until tomorrow:

We crossed into Kansas:
    [​IMG]
    and I had my first Dairy Queen Blizzard in years:
    [​IMG]

Moxom convinced me to go Twin Peaks. it's a famous establishment in the midwest very similar to hooters. Their taco left a LOT to be desired. This is a buffalo chicken taco. It's a chicken strip. I was starving but this thing sucked!
    [​IMG]

They served me a Belgian saison on a frosty mug...another fail:

[​IMG]

Will I go back to Twin Peaks. no but I'm glad I got to experience it.
    [​IMG]

Moxom and I rolled into Columbus OH and we had decided upon leaving Colorado that honestly, Columbus was where we should split if we could. My tires were okay and while I had a broken pannier bag, it was about 800 miles from Columbus to home so we unloaded my bike, checked into the hotel and then went out for dinner. I headed out solo to get some photos around town. Living on the NH/VT border, I see some black lives matter signs but I've never seen a protest or artwork or demonstration in person. In fact, since I left San Francisco 10 years ago, I haven't seen any sort of picketing or demonstrations. People up here keep to themselves or maybe they post it to Facebook and therefore I don't see it since I don't use that shit - hole service since 2011 when I closed my account.

so...it was cool to see the art. I love street art so ignoring the politics of it all, this was really well done and worth capturing:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This photo, I didn't realize there was a state police officer standing guard. He yelled something at me and I couldn't hear through my helmet. Turns out he was asking me if I wanted him to move out of the way so I could get a photo. Honestly, after our exchange I thought "this guy how did he know I didn't have some sort of projectile?" he then yelled again that this was a one-way so don't pull out the direction my bike was facing...oops.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I was in bed at 11:30PM and was on the bike at 4:30AM, boots up and heading home. I had to stop an hour in to top up the tire pressure front & rear from our off road pressure of 32,39 to 36,42 which is OEM pressure and I also added my wool layer to so I could stay warm because it was around 55F. I thought it'd be 60 degrees and 55 was BRRR Cold when it was dark.

I rolled into the house around 5PM or so EST and man that felt good to be home.

[​IMG]

I noticed my horn also broke on this trip:
    [​IMG]

First thing I do when I get home, my GF asked me if we can go for a ride so we did:
    [​IMG]

:)

Thanks for following along everyone. It was nice to share these stories with you all. In total I broke:
    • SW-Motech Shifter (I'm on my own on replacing it, out of warranty)
    • Klim Badlands pro Pants Zippers (replaced by Klim)
    • Mosko Moto Bag (replaced by Mosko Moto free of charge)
    • Denali Horn (I just replaced the connector, it's working for now)
    • Clearwater Darla (water in the housing but it seems to have dried out and started working again)

Not a bad cost to pay for an adventure such as this.

total driving time home (trailer + bike):
    [​IMG]
    NSFW, DaleE, black 8 and 1 other person like this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    This concludes the ride report from my side. @MoXoM and @Red Card may decide to add some photos and thoughts as well but I'm spent. I have a day-tripping thread that I maintain here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/adamchandlers-rides-and-wanderings-2020-edition.1432765/

All of these photos are available at full resolution for download if you have a Flickr account - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adamjackson/albums/72157715852811166

Here's the entire YouTube Playlist - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc-rhUVUGj8v6ufyko7a0VDKQ9MplBuni

Thanks again everyone. If you have any questions, let me know!!!
    Oron, Utrider1, ontrip and 3 others like this.
  4. VTbeemer

VTbeemer Traveler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report Adam. I’ve only taken a quick look through it but you’ve packed a massive amount of content in a handful of posts.

I’ve been lucky to have been to the areas you guys covered and it was a nice refresher. You did this within two weeks and slogged it to and from the east is dedication. Those who haven’t been out there should take note as your report is great for those planning a trip there.

Most of the areas you covered I’m glad I was on my 250 or 650. Would be a handful on my 1200gs. Good on you to make it relatively unscathed.

Dan
    AdamChandler likes this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you Dan. I can’t wait to slow down work a bit and give these places the proper attention they deserve. 2 weeks (including getting there and back) was simply not enough time. We merely scratched the surface. Sorry that brevity is not a character trait I have but maybe someone planning a trip can get some value and it’ll make it worth it for them to go through these posts. Glad you took time to check it out.
  6. Canton rider

Canton rider Canton Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great work and great riding. Thanks for posting this.
    9w6vx and AdamChandler like this.
  7. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good work sir! Now, next time, bring the proper tool for the job, the Beta!
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I didn't really need the beta for this kind of ride. we didn't do any single track.
  9. black 8

black 8 motography memories...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR Adam...

This gives me an idea of what to expect... I'm sure I'll re-read this again before my trip to Utah...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  10. Utrider1

Utrider1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Excellent write up! Glad you got to experience a LOT of the variety of weather, temperature, terrain and elevation out here. I remember you asking questions up front, and hope some of the information shared with you assisted you in your decision making and preparedness.

Congrats on doing Corkscrew on the big girl! I think you made a wise choice considering the trailering hub technique you used. I'm sad to see the route you took from Ouray to Moab though, there is a much more scenic route up CO 141 up to Bedrock and over LaSal that I think you would have really enjoyed. I do understand though, sometimes things go the way they go.

Enjoy the ride and look forward to the next one!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Now I know for next time and thanks for taking time to check out the various posts. I'm looking forward to the next trip to CO at some point and I really want to spend more time in Utah.
    scatch and Utrider1 like this.
  12. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I missed you guys while on my CDT trip by one day. I actually spoke to those same TAT brothers at the top of Marshall Pass before going over to Monarch Pass and did Tomichi Pass over to Tincup the next day. Trust me, even if you had made it to the top of Tomichi Pass (there was another rock slide further up which was even worse) getting back to Sargents would not have been fun, the east face of Tomichi was just about as bad as the west side.

You guys look like you had a hell of a lot of fun, too bad I barely missed you!
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Yeah, shame very close paths crossing. Those beta guys were a hoot. I would have liked to have them out for dinner and chat about their TAT experience. cool blokes.

Thanks for the Tomichi tip. I wanted to keep going, the other 2 of my mates wanted to go back. I'm glad we did. I had no idea it got worse. Keeping in mind I was on a GSA, too. Big beast. I should be happy I made it that far!
  14. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My video from that portion of my trip will post on 12/27. Check it out and you'll get a good idea of what you avoided. Other than the rock slide on the upper portion the west side of Tomichi was easy compared to the east.

I found out it closed about a week later after a jeep rolled over on the rock slide area.
    TurkeyRun and AdamChandler like this.
  15. gianttrack

gianttrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just ran across this report and binge read it. Great work! I was struck by how much the photos of 550 construction looked exactly as I remembered and then you mentioned running into a motley group of West 38 Moto guys on a tour. I was one of the crew. We were run out of Ouray by the same rain on the same day. Small world. Hope to meet you some day. And good on you for doing those passes on a GSA!
    Dave
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much for reading. IT's nice to get some kudos from someone in Colorado. I hope I was able to represent the area well enough on such a short time frame. We had an amazing trip.