3 day loop out of San Diego

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by ItsDoAble, Feb 7, 2019.

1. ItsDoAble

ItsDoAble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple buddys and I will have 3 days to ride out of San Diego (Thu-Sat) in mid April after a ride down in Baja. We're thinking of heading over to Joshua Tree on Thu, exploring the park on Fri, then back to SD on Sat.

Any suggestions for can't miss ADV routes over and back? We're on the big bikes (1200GS's & an AT), and like getting dirty. We plan to leave our camping gear at home in Colorado, so it's motels, showers, and Irish whiskey for nightly cartilage recovery.

THK
  2. desertdaves

desertdaves DesertDave

Oddometer:
    There are some great canyon and desert rides in the JT area. But be careful! Trails that we have been using for years (and posted public roads) are "closed" for some reason. And the rangers are giving out tickets left and right!
    Berdoo Canyon is one of them, and you can also pick up Box Canyon to see the flood damage down by the north shore of salton sea. Just some ideas.
    Have fun!
  3. Manrider218

Manrider218 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good Luck!
    [​IMG]
  4. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I would use the Stagecoach Trails Rv Park in Julian as a staging ground to explore Anza Borego and the surrounding area. We did the 2018 Adventure Rally and had a great time in that area.

Turn back south and spend 3 more days in Baja! :D
  5. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Once you're around the Salton Sea, there's a few dirty options for getting to Joshua Tree as long as your idea of dirty includes sand.

1) You could ride the Bradshaw Trail east to Red Canyon and then ride that north to I-10. Gas at Chiriaco Summit. You could ride the dirt canal road west to the paved Box Canyon Rd into Joshua Tree at Cottonwood Springs.

2) Though Box Canyon Rd is closed due to a flood covering it with mud east of Mecca, lots of ATV's and dirt bikes are riding it. Continue on into JTNP as above.

3) Ride Pinkham Canyon up into the park. It starts from the above referenced Canal Rd exactly north of the Cactus City rest area on I-10. I rode it a month or so ago - no gates then. It comes out right at the Cottonwood entrance. Lots of soft sand.

At Cottonwood entrance station, ask if Berdoo Canyon is open. You could take that out of the park if so. Access is off Geology Tour Rd.

All those routes will have lots of soft sand if I haven't already made that clear.
  6. TrophyHunter

TrophyHunter Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind runnin' along the southern border heading east....

Otay Truck Trail starting at https://www.thousandtrails.com/california/pio-pico-rv-resort-campground/ : Head up the hill and when at Doghouse Junction (near the top), stay left. You'll parallel hwy 94 down below and eventually run into a T. Left past the gun club will dump you out on 94 at Marron Valley Rd. Go right/east.

Take the turnoff to Tecate, then left at the stop sign once in town (USA Side). About a half mile on the right, dirt road will eventually lead along the border fence which can be taken - I think - as far as Jacumba. I've gone as far as Campo (good gas stop if needed). East on some dirt roads then drop down I-8 and N from Ocotillo to JT.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info or a guide - depending on schedule.
  7. ItsDoAble

ItsDoAble Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the good info.
  8. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the map and road book for the Adventure Rallye last year and I live in north county SD so you could swing by if you want. JTNP is really cool but there isn't a lot of offloading to do there. You'd probably be better served just hitting some spots local to SD and taking in some of the awesome paved roads in the area.