3 Day Trip on North Western Loop of Vietnam

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Tazui1982, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Tazui1982

Tazui1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Vietnam-header-1.jpg

I downloaded this image from Google because I didn't stop to take proper pictures as I was rushing what supposed to be a 6 day trip into 3 days. For those who are not aware, Vietnam is a country of 96M people located south of China, east of Thailand, Laos and Cambodia. The country has over tallest moutain in South East Asia and Mu Cang Chai is one of them.

I've known of the location for ages but due to work and family commitments I never really had time to travel around. Up until now, when I finally quit my job and took my Benelli BN 302 for a ride again.
    Quick note: Benelli BN 302 is a 300cc Chinese motorcycle, designed by Italians. The bike has pros and cons but on twisties it performed alright and since I didn't go fast it didn't matter much anyway.

This is the route I took my my home to Mu Cang Chai, Yen Bai province, Vietnam.
    The route has roughly 200kms of bad traffic and boring ride through desenly populated areas of Red RIver Delta. I didn't shoot videos of those, partly not too scare foreigners off travelling to Vietnam as traffic in my country does get scary.
    However, the last 150 km was so good, I literally forgot to stop to take photos, just kept riding and riding.

Hanoi-MuCangChai.JPG

I did manage to stop over for a bit but due to the rush I didn't take a lot of photo instead just shot a lot of my riding with a GoPro 7 silver

Here's a short video clip I shot on Day 1:

I hope you enjoy my video and view of Mu Cang Chai area.
  2. Tazui1982

Tazui1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The trip continues. I was so busy in the past few days and only managed to edit 2 more vids.
    Here's the the trip Day 2.

Recap: I woke up early in the morning and was really pleasantly surprised how fresh the air up in Mu Cang Chai was. However, I didn't stay for long and left for Sapa.

Here's the video of me riding from Mu Cang Chai to Sapa.

Check it out. You'll notice that I skipped Sapa downtown all together because I didn't like how crowded and busy the town was. To be honest, if I wanted noise and pollution I would have stayed back in Hanoi.
    In my personal opinion, Ta Van is a lot better than Sapa. However, if you enjoy tourist centrals by all mean stay in Sapa, there are excellent restaurants and tour operators.

To be continued...
  3. RobF650

RobF650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much for posting the videos, a very good insite for me as I will be visiting Vietnam for 10 days in March 2020 with my wife.
    Interesting comment about being ripped off!

Rob
  4. Tazui1982

Tazui1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you found video useful. Unfortunately scams are common these days, but as I said don't let that dissapoint you, just stay sharp and go with the flow.
  5. RobF650

RobF650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe we can meet up for a beer in Hanoi.
  6. Tazui1982

Tazui1982 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, sure.