3 Days = 1626 miles CA-OR-CA

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by CaptGS, Jun 19, 2019.

1. CaptGS

CaptGS '18 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Well let me begin with answering the obvious question at everybody has in mind first:

- Yes my butt and my calves were sore.... What else you can expect at age 61.

I've had 3 days free time and decided to make a quick exploratory trip. I say exploratory because I tried to see the first time the Northern portion of Highway 1.
    Those of you may already been on or heard of Highway 1 is one of the most scenic routes in the US mostly runs right on the Pacific Coast between San Diego and almost to Seattle.

Well, in the past I've been on San Diego to Los Angeles portion of it which is crowded, noisy and simply "yikes"!

Then comes to Los Angeles to San Francisco portion where you find the beautiful Big Sur coastline in addition to the interesting small towns like Solvang, Pismo Beach, Morro Bay, Monterey, Santa Cruz along the route.

Then San Francisco to Oregon Border section comes which is my favorite route. From Stinson Beach all the way to Crescent City. But the road goes too much inland and away from the ocean for my taste right after you pass few miles North of tiny town of Westport, I always skipped Eureka and Crescent City portions until this past few days.

So I thought how can I fit almost 1600 miles in 3 days and see all the portions of Highway 1 that I never saw before?

Day 1: I've left home at 8:00am and head for Astoria, OR on 5 Freeway passing thru Stockton, Sacramento, Red Bluff, Redding, Mt. Shasta, Grant Pass, Eugene, Salem, Portland and by 8:15 pm I parked in front of my Best Western in Astoria. It was 798 miles and took me 12,5 hrs. Not bad...

The bad news was the weather. It was overcast, cold and wet, wet, wet.... It looked like it was raining and after first 11 hrs in temperatures of 90+ last hr and a half at 50s were awakening and torturous.

Day 2: As my genius plan, I've left my hotel at 7:00 am to cover the coastal route all the way down to Eureka/Fortuna area and see these mysterious part of the Highway 1.
    Long story short my final assessment for this portion of the Highway 1 is "meh"... Not bad but nothing to compare to L.A. to San Francisco portion of the route and doesn't even compare to SF to Westport portion of the route.
    I've found OR to be an odd state in many way. Don't know why but it is what it is!

What makes this portion of the Highway 1 "meh" is because most of the route you can't see the ocean due to scenery either blocked by giant and dense trees or buildings of residents of these small towns or due to road being just enough distance away from the ocean and ducted behind a small hill all along the way.

Unlike Big Sur coast or SF to Westport portion of the route OR coast is filled with tiny little communities at every few miles and here's the magical part; almost all of these tiny towns speed limit is 20mph and cops were hunting the cars, bikes, RVs like swatting flies. I came a few close "wheeeeewww" moments but escaped that nightmare scenario thankfully.

The other point is between Astoria and California border highway one has a really heavy traffic due to these many little towns spread along the route and single lane roads are heavily used by timber loaded 18 wheelers and regular residence who seemed really enjoying their head spinning 20mph speed limit.

Almost every town I passed something was there impossible to miss... Each one of these tiny communities had a very delightfully lighted with colorful neons and huge signs had a "CANNABIS" business!!! "Best Cannabis", "Ocean Cannabis" "High-Way Cannabis" etc... No wonder 20 mph must be feeling like a warp speed to some residents probably.

Any who, by 6:30 pm I stopped at my hotel for night 2 and odometer showed 464 miles.

This morning I was tired and lazy. So I left my Fortuna hotel at 9:00 am and thru Ukiah, Petaluma, Benicia, Dublin, Gustine aaaand Home! Odometer added another 364 miles.

Total of 1626 miles... Ride time 28 hrs. including the fuel, bathroom and snack stops...

Along the last day's route first 100 miles were some nice scenery with Giant Sequoia trees and nice wide good surfaced roads with very light traffic. But that was it!

So if I have to grade the sections of Highway 1 , it should go as follows:

San Diego to Los Angeles... Actually this one doesn't even count as a bike route but still since a part of Highway 1 = *

Los Angeles to San Francisco... Specifically between Pismo Beach - Monterey = *****

San Francisco to CA/ OR border... Specifically between Stinson Beach - Westport = *****

Oregon Coast from CA/OR border to Astoria, OR (all the way) = **

So, my idea of what I could be missing by not experiencing the Highway 1 by Oregon Coast ended up being "not much"...
    I was expecting to be amazed like I do every time I ride thru Big Sur or Mendocino coastline routes but it didn't happen.

Oh well, still 3 days on the bike beats any other alternative I could've been doing during that time.

Ride safe friends,

P.S. One more thought just flashed back to me that I think I am right on my assessment because at this time of the year no matter what day you ride at Big Sur or Mendocino routes you come across ton of bikers. Groups, couples, individuals.... At every vista point, cafe, gas station you see ton of bikes loaded with bags and goodies as an indication that they are on a road trip. But, on my OR route throughout that 464 miles I think I saw not more than a dozen of bikers and half of them were local guys riding choppers in sleeveless shirts look like going to the local weed shop ;)
    BigDogRaven, Jedi5150 and smalls78 like this.
  2. Son of MotoPolo

Son of MotoPolo The mountains are calling...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, hard to beat Big Sur and the Mendocino coast.

Just to be clear, Hwy 1 is a California State Highway. Highway 101 is a US Federal Highway. CA Hwy 1 ends in Leggett where it joins 101 and never gets close to Oregon. Definitely loses that charm once it "merges" with 101. Even the Cali central coast is awful if you ride 101, just a straight shot through farmland miles from the coast.
  3. GonzoMD

GonzoMD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agree with the Big Sur and Mendocino coast being amazing but no need to bash the 101. It beats the shit outta the 5!
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Great memories. I always seem to stay in Cambria.
  5. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down around the corner half a mile from here
    Ok, triggered!

...and from a one year-old post.

Don’t crap on Superior California. If you were looking for great coastal roads north of Westpoint, you didn’t look very hard.

Also, there are no Sequoia trees along the coast. Those be Coast Redwoods (Sequoia sempervirens). Sequoias are in the Sierra Range.

For the rest of you heretics, “Cali” is a city in Colombia and there’s no “The” in Northern California freeway names.

But I do have to agree the southern Oregon coast is a bit creepy. Can’t put my finger on it. Always put my wallet in my front pocket when I go through there.

...and back to the OP, you live in Los Banos for goodness sakes. Madera is scenic compared to Los Banos.

:D
  6. Son of MotoPolo

Son of MotoPolo The mountains are calling...

Oddometer:
    I think Notorious B.I.G. would disagree. Unless...he was returning to Colombia? :dunno

And 100% on "the" freeways. But where is the line drawn? I've lived in the Bay Area (no the), SLO (no the), and San Diego (the in front of every highway with a number)
  7. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:

The dividing line for those that are geographically enlightened is the Tehachapi Range. North of that is all that is good. South, who cares?
  8. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Hahaha! I died at your comment about Madera being scenic compared to Los Banos. So true. Someone from Los Banos finding fault in scenery anywhere is truly puzzling.
  9. avejoe

avejoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t be too harsh. He can’t be there by choice. Nobody lives in Los Banos if they have a choice.

I keed. I keed.

I “lived” in Fresno for two years. Go Bulldogs.
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  10. Pavement Optional

Pavement Optional Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't judge Oregon riding by Hwy 101. Tons of great riding here, but yeah, not on the coast. As soon as you turn eastward and head into the hills, it's a whole different story. Tons of great roads, paved and not.
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  11. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Agreed. Some of the best riding I've ever done was on the western slope of the Cascades in Oregon, and the eastern side through Bend and Sisters, and the Cascade Lakes Scenic Byway is gorgeous as well.
  12. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Going north on this route the "Avenue of the Giants" never disappoints.

If you want more great roads and scenery coming back south take the Mattole Rd to Ettersburg and Briceland (Lost Coast area).

Last trip through Oregon I went inland at Gold Beach to Agness, then north through Powers to Hwy 42. Fun, scenic and no traffic. There was some gravel though north of Agness.