3 Days in NewFoundland. What's best?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LowAdvRider, May 23, 2006.

1. LowAdvRider

LowAdvRider Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer:
    I will be going up to Radisson, then to Goose Bay. After that we ride to Saint John's to pick up the wives. I then have 3 days to spend in NF prior to going to Cape Bretton.

What are the must see's?

We will be on GS's and one tricked out Strom. Love the ocean and maybe the Viking stuff? Probably camping with my wife controlling the decision on weather vs hotels.

She will be flying into Saint John's, so we will start from there before ending up taking the Ferry to Nova Scotia out of Port Aux Basques.

Any good suggestions will be helpful to fit in what we can.
  2. LowAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I'll ask on another forum?
  3. Ridemuch

Ridemuch Ciao

Oddometer:
    get in touch with the BMW dealership in Nova Sco...
  4. Win38-55

Win38-55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a large bottle of Newfie Screech and howl with the loons.:freaky :freaky :freaky
  5. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius) Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. LowAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Great video! Not too much on folk music though. Even if it is called Celtic.

Screech huh? Hmmmmm, I'm changing my schedule now. I'll do 3 days there prior to my wife showing up and then 3 more after.

Sure hope I'm in good shape when she arrives! Can't be having a hangover during her vacation! :1drink

The boat rides in the Fiords looks like just the ticket. Thanks!

BTW, keep the ideas coming please! I've sent a PM to Coolhand since he is a local. I'll post his responses.
  7. LowAdvRider

Oddometer:
    By the way Brian, I cut and paste Jeff's writeup of yours and his trip into a really usable Word document. I've been using it for the past several months as a reference for the upcoming trip.

The two of you are the inspiration for the three of us (plus my wife starting in NF) to take this great trip.

Thanks for sharing! :clap
  8. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it, Jeff did all the hard work on the write up.

If you haven't already, read Luke Diekis's report. It is very good also.

Here are some more pics.
    https://bmalsch.smugmug.com/gallery/743439

Also consider riding back taking the ferries through Campbello Island then over the bridge into Lubec and the US.
  9. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    The north west shore, Rocky Harbour from Stephenville is great, some of the best scenery there. Like being in the mountains but having the ocean beside you. From Rocky Harbour there is a hike up the Grosse Morne mountain that is very cool. The locals are a blast, really helpful. My wife is from Cow Head, up the coast.

JimmieA.
  10. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 'Viking Trail' on the west coast, and the 'Irish Loop' and the 'Trinty Loop' on the Avalon Penninsula are truly spectacular costal roads.

When you're in St. John's, be sure to take a ride around 'Marine Drive'. It's minutes from the city's east end.

Also...

The Cape Spear light house is close to the city, and is the most easterly point in North America. That's as close as you can get to Ireland, without swimming.

Enjoy your adventure in our fair province. There's truly nowhere like it.

:thumb
  11. boxercup03

boxercup03 Jim Taylor

Oddometer:
    i've been up there twice,first trip was the eastern side avalon peninsula,second was west side gross morne park all the way up to iceburg country. where one of the locals made me a vodka and 7up with iceburg ice in it! the most beautifull place i've ever been
  12. LowAdvRider

Oddometer:
    The Viking Trail et al are not listed in my Garmin software. So, I guess I'll have to get on the web to see what is listed for Irish Loop, Trinity Trail and Viking Trail. Those names and your recommendation are what will begin the research though and I greatly appreciate it! I now have 6 days to spend and hope for good weather.

BTW, coolhand never responded to my PM. Is he still riding? Anyone? Miss his posts.

Thanks to all! I'm still looking at pics and website listed.
  13. LowAdvRider

Oddometer:

The GPS layed over the Sat photos is really cool. Great site. Wish you had done some more miles! I want to see more! :norton
  14. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Low...

Coolhand is still moderating the Ride The Rock site. He's around at least once per day. Strange he hasn't responded to your PM.

RIDE THE ROCK

About the coastal routes I recommended...

The Viking Trail is route 430 from Deer Lake to St. Anthony. Here is an excellent website with all kinds of information about the Viking Trail route...

THE VIKING TRAIL WEBSITE

The Irish Loop is route 10 and route 90 from St. John's to the TCH.

The Trinity Loop is route 70 and route 80, on the Avalon Penninsula. This photo from the RTR website front page, was taken on the Trinity Loop. As you can see, it offers much to the touring rider...

[​IMG]

Also...

Route 100 will take you to Cape St. Mary's, where The World Heritage seabird sanctuary is located.

The last three routes I have listed above are all on the east coast of the island, and within a day's riding of the City of St. John's.

Here is a map of the Avalon Penninsula...

[​IMG]

Hope this helps with your planning.

:thumb
  15. LowAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Helps? Hell! This IS my planning! :rofl

No, really, I appreciate the info. I have 6 days to kill on the island. 3 with just me and my buddy doing screech and trying to find dirt roads and then 3 with my wife once she flies in. The loops on the Avalon Pen. look like just the ticket. May try to sneek in the boat tours in Gros Morne also.

Thanks again. I'm really looking forward to this trip. :wink:
  16. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to be of help.

Also...

If you guys would like to experience some offroad costal riding, my buddy and I could show you some interesting segments of the railbed trail, if you like.

The railbed trail is great for bigger bikes which are less offroad-capable than my DRZ400 is. It's the trail left behind after the railway tracks were all pulled up here, decades ago.

Here's a map of a segment we rode last Sunday...

Seal Cove To Marysvale Trail Map

And here's a link to a railbed ride report I wrote last year...

Railbed Trail Ride Report
  17. LowAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Sure wish you had GPS data for the ride you just wrote up "Seal Cove to Marysvale" on Ride the Rock site. Seems that my GPS software doesn't do NF any justice at all. Is that whole ride on old rail bed?
  18. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep...

That ride is all old railbed trail.

Here's a ride report from an even longer railbed ride we took last year, all the way to the port of Argentia on the western Avalon, where the old US military base is...

Argentia Railbed Ride

These photos show the typical kind of terrain you have under your bike on 95% of the railbed trail. As you can see, it's pretty well suited for riding big adventure bikes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. ldeikis

ldeikis Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer:
    I second Grosse Morne, especially with the ladies. Touristy, but so pretty you don't care.

My experience with the trailway was it really ranged from hardpack gravel almost-road to pretty squirrelly deep rocks. If it gets a lot of traffic, it's in pretty good condition. If it's a really out of the way spot, it's a lot looser. We didn't ride the trailway east of Bishop (Bishop Falls?) though. Speaking of, though, take a detour through Bishop to see the long Trailway bridge and snap a scenic picture. Nice excuse to stretch and you'll have no problem getting the bikes up there.

I reccomend taking the dirt roads down past Red Indian Lake on your way west again. Really pretty, no GPS necessary, just dirt roads so it's not hard to ride, but was some of the most casually enjoyable riding I did... and that shot of "highway" across the middle of the island is BORING. When you get to the pavement southwest of the lake, turning north takes you back towards Deer Falls (? sorry, no map in front of me) and is a pretty, swoopy road through the valley at the base of some mountains. Turning south probably wouldn't make sense for you, it's a long ride over a moonscape to a pretty little town.

Also--and I say this in all seriousness--my #1 MUST VISIT in all of Newfoundland would be Dot's Pastriesin Port au Choix for one of the coconut covered pastry balls. Maybe we got lucky that day and it's not the norm, but that was maybe the best pastry I've ever eaten.

Have fun and WATCH OUT FOR MOOSE.

--Luke
  20. LowAdvRider

Oddometer:
    Below is a cut and paste from http://www.trailway.ca/TrailMap%20Frame.htm. This is the "official" website of the T'Railway.

Planned as a multi-use recreational trail, the T'Railway Park is open not only to hikers but cyclists, horseback riders, snowmobilers, ATV riders and cross-country skiing enthusiasts as well. On road motorized vehicles are not permitted.

So local guys, WTF? Is this true or is it just some government employee trying to make the park into his own vision of it? :huh