3 Days in NewFoundland. What's best?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LowAdvRider, May 23, 2006.

1. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Firstly...

That is not the actual 'law'. That is just a statement by the group that maintains the T'Railway for 'themselves' and their snow-machines and ATVs. They are the custodians of the Park, but do not make the laws or enforce them.

The confusion comes from the fact that most people in Newfoundland are unaware of what a dualsport bike is. A dualsport bike is an ATV by definition, as it is a machine designed for offroad use. And if you read the government website below, it says ATVs are permitted.

That statement you read is there to deter cars and 4x4 trucks from using the railbed trail. Which is something which actually does make sense.

Also...

The 'branch lines' I mentioned to you earlier, are not even part of the official T'Railway Park, and do not even come under the custodial jurisdiction of the T'Railway Council users group. Notice that the branch lines on the Eastern and Western Avalon Penninsula are not even drawn on the T'Railway Park map.

Go ahead and ride the trail.

I have a copy of the actual 'law' here someplace. I'll try to find it for you.

Here is the 'OFFICIAL' government T'Railway website in the meantime. Nowhere does it say that you can't take your dualsport bike on the trail...

http://www.env.gov.nl.ca/parks/parks/trail.html

2. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. LowAdvRider

LowAdvRider Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer:
    Thanks DRZ. Got the same info from Coolhand while PMing him. Good info. Seems that any bike designed or "altered" for off road use is permitted. Being an outsider, I really didn't wish to stretch local laws. I really appreciate the info.

I will most likely ride the T'Rail from Port Aux Basque East as far as I have time for on the way to St. John's to pick up my wife at the airport. Then, I will do as you recommended and do the Irish and Trinity loops. Then off to Gros Morne and the boat tour.

Probably will be just enough to know I want to go back for more. :cry
  4. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I may have found the perfect day adventure ride for you guys...

When you do the Irish Loop coastal route I mentioned earlier, take a diversion down to the historic Cape Race lighthouse. You'll be glad you did. Much less touristy than the boat tour at Gros Morne, etc. Much more of a true adventure ride kind of excursion.

There is an unpaved road between the community of Portugal Cove South and the Cape Race lighthouse, which runs right along the coast for 19 kms. I was down there just this past weekend, and I highly recommend it.

Here is a map of the area. You will be passing through the community of Portugal Cove South, halfway through your Irish Loop ride, anyhow. So it's well worth your while to make this unpaved diversion while you're down there...

CAPE RACE LIGHTHOUSE AREA

Along this route is the world heritage fossil bed at 'Mistaken Point'. Definitely an interesting stop along the way. It's one of the most prolific fossil beds in the world.
  5. LowAdvRider

LowAdvRider Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer:
    The more info I get from you the more I realize that Garmins City V7 sucks for Newfoundland and Labrador.

I need a better map.... :huh

Thanks again. Right now, that sounds exactly like what I want to do. :clap
  6. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    IAlso--and I say this in all seriousness--my #1 MUST VISIT in all of Newfoundland would be Dot's Pastriesin Port au Choix for one of the coconut covered pastry balls. Maybe we got lucky that day and it's not the norm, but that was maybe the best pastry I've ever eaten.

Have fun and WATCH OUT FOR MOOSE.

--Luke

Rocky Harbour is a great town that you would pass on that trip. There is a hike up Grose Morne (spelling) that is well worth it and there is a ferry ride just north of there that is cool into the Arm. My wife is from Cow Head, just up the road. There is an alternate route that is by ferry from just south of Rocky Harbour that is OK for the return trip. Got to go through the mountains one way. Ocean on one side large hills on the other. The ferry ride into Labrador wouldn't be too bad if you have the time. There isn't much road up the coast, maybe 50 miles or so, a lot of it gravel I think.

The real fun of NFLD/Labrador is the people. They are great.

JimmieA.
  7. DRZ400SK4

DRZ400SK4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    With regard to Gros Morne National Park...

I have spent a fair amount of time there.

By far, the 16 km hike up the mountain itself is the jewel of the park. But you need to be in pretty good shape and plan well for it. It's a full day hike and is either steeply uphill or downhill, pretty much all the time, and over some very rugged terrain. I've walked this hike all the way round, twice in recent years.

The 4 km long sandy beach at Shallow Bay, in the north end of the park, is my second favorite part of Gros Morne Park.

Personally, the boat tour up the fiord at Western Brook Pond was pretty touristy, and didn't impress me that much. This one's best saved for the kids and the retired crowd, in my opinion.

Here's a shot I took about a quarter of the way up the mountain, when my girlfriend and I stopped for a break, while climbing Gros Morne mountain...