3 dual sports, a CBR, and the AR TAT.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Silver, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Well, ok the sport bike doesn’t do the AR portion of the TAT but the dual sports do.

[​IMG]

I seem to have a ritual when planning multiday rides, as well as some day rides. First, start planning the ride. Second, get the ride planned and find out who all is going. Third, this normally happens on a day or two before the ride, log onto youtube and watch a bunch of motorcycle wrecks, kind of freak out. Fourth, wake up the day of the ride still kind of freaked out and debate on going or not. Fifth, go on the ride.

Why? I don’t know, I was talking with my mom about it and telling her “Yeah, spent about an hour watching various motorcycle wreck videos” to which she replied “What the hell.” Really I’m not sure how it comes about, or why I do it. It started with Gary who is on this ride, sending me a ton of links to various wreck reports and wreck videos just 2 days before a different ride one time. Since then from time to time I tend to repeat the process. Basically, for me it’s keeping things in focus, you have to recognize that with riding there is good and bad, and reading of others hardships/seeing them helps keep that into perspective sometimes.

Obviously I went on the ride, and I came back in good health, so all is well. There were a few times where mentally I knew I needed to slow down, and did so. Anyhow, on with my part of the ride report.

The bikes: CBR600RR, KTM990 Adventure, KLR650, DR650.
    The plan: The dual sports were doing asphalt out to the first camp spot and running the AR portion of TAT(Trans American Trail) Sat. and Sun. The CBR was going to shadow them on asphalt riding some of the wonderful roads that AR has to offer.
    The players: Gary(gkasper aka Slavedriver/KTM990), Jason(Silver aka guy on the sport bike/CBR600), Mike(Skyydiver aka BeerCan/KLR650), and Scott(not on the forum aka Pen’s/DR650).

Day 1, Friday

Our meet up spot was at Gary’s house supposedly at 10am. Scott and Mike were coming from OKC and due to issues and packing complications they didn’t arrive till roughly 12PM. Things happen, today was only asphalt for all of us so no biggy.
    Scott and Mike at Mike’s house getting ready to leave. Note: You’ll see through the trip pictures that Mikes stack of dry bags gets amazingly taller.

Mike and Scott in OKC fixing to leave.
    [​IMG]

Us at Gary’s house, you’ll note the variance of luggage, from happy trails to coretech to bungee to milk crates.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving Gary’s our first stop was a whopping ten miles away for gas/food. Meanwhile we were eating and Mike spots a guy with a license plate hanging from his belt. From there our speculation led to the fact that this was obviously the new sex offender warning policy and that he was a pedophile, Gary then informed us about a car auction about a half mile away but we dismissed that as conjecture and continued on about how the license plate from the belt was still a pedo sign and that we should call the cops. This was all in jest of course and the story led on to the cops catching the guy and then him about to be beat up in prison and the guy is all “I WAS JUST TRYING TO SELL A CAR” all because of a license tag hanging from his belt. We kind of have active imaginations.

Breakfast/lunch
    [​IMG]

Next stop, the toll booth for a quick break. The pack was running Gary/Scott/Mike/Me and I only got one good 120+ mph buzz in before Gary led us down the road filled with police aka 412 in AR. I’m just kidding about 120+ mph I have a governer on my 600 that won’t let it go over 65mph.
    [​IMG]

Next stop for some gas and drinks was in AR somewhere, I dunno. They had a bunch of cherry machines inside and a put your quarter in so it tries to push other quarters off the edge and you get them machine, I dropped in 3 quarters and won 1 quarter and then put that in and came away with 0 quarters. Well damn. Guess that’s gambling. The bathroom was outside and no lock as well, I was pretty much expecting to get mugged/raped while I was in there, the following picture is me saying “HEY, DIDN’T GET RAPED, WHOOO”
    [​IMG]

Gas stop
    [​IMG]

We ride for a bit more with our next stop Yellville. Gary ends up missing the turn and I am in the lead and at this point I go ahead and take off leaving the rest behind and riding a bit faster than the dual sports. I ride ahead to Yellville and stop at a gas station to wait while they catch up, 3 smokes, fill up, a sammich, a nap, and a coke, they finally get to the gas station(kidding, it was only about 10 minutes).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We all fill up and next stop is the Blanchard springs caverns camp site. As I have been here before and have ridden highway 14 I knew that it was nice and twisty and let them go ahead a bit as I would just catch up, and eventually pass them on 14, this was my element, nice and twisty and not too much traffic. I catch up and pass, run ahead a bit, stop and take pictures of them going by, catch up, pass, get to the end of 14, turn around and go back, see them a bit back, turn around and catch up. We get to the turn off and I pass again which Scott got pictures of…
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That camper in front of Gary I passed roughly 3 times keeping with the group. We get to Fifty-Six, AR and it starts to rain, at this point we are packed back up again and I am in the rear. Once we get to Blanchard springs cavern site we cruise to the picnic part(no camping) and stop to find our bearings, on the way in I’m scoping for dry spots the dual sports stop in the middle of the parking lot I pass them thinking “whatever I’m going to someplace dry” and park underneath a picnic spot.
    [​IMG]

The rain slows/stops and we roll to our camp spot. Oh, did I mention through a water crossing? It had just gotten done raining so it was about a half a foot deep on concrete. The CBR made it through fine, I did learn to just leave your damn feet on the pegs though, sticking them out front just gets them all splashed.

Setting up camp in the wet. Not too much fun but doable, and done.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished, time to go get beer and food. I was under the impression that we did need food, so Gary and myself head to the booze store for beer, and then further to find out the quick e mart had closed. Back to the beer store to buy 20 dollars worth of chips, beef jerky, crackers, and candy bars. We get back to camp and I find that between all of us, we have 3 MRE’s, 2 Mountain House dinners, and some zatarans. WHY DID I BUY 20 BUX WORTH OF CRAP THEN?? The world will never know. Our dinner…
    [​IMG]

After eating and drinking commenced, and more drinking, well Mike decided to show us a magic trick. With a beer can. What happened next cannot be put to text, you could only hear it in person to do it any justice. Just leave it to say that Gary threw up, I cried, and Scott laughed(I guess he’s used to it). Hence the name beercan for Mike. Pens for Scott would be because he told us since he had never met any of us before he thought it would be hilarious just to act totally off. Said he was thinking about buying something like 200 pens, not talking, and just sitting around at any stop pulling them out of the box of pens and clicking them then putting it back and getting another one and doing the same. It was pretty funny, even if it didn’t actually happen.

Also I have no idea how I have ever made do without a headlamp. Holy crap these things are just the cats meow.
    [​IMG]
  2. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Day 2, Saturday.

I am not a morning person.
    [​IMG]

We pack up and head out to go find breakfast. I stop at a sit down place and Gary says “NO, we have 150+ miles of dirt to do, no time” hence the name slave driver. So we eat at a hardee’s, good enough for me. This is where we part ways and the dual sports head off to do that tat and I stick to awesome AR roads.
    [​IMG]

Water crossing!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We eat breakfast and split ways, the guys going to do dirt and the TAT and myself going to ride the sweet sweet roads of AR.
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah.
    [​IMG]

OH YEAH! Great roads, great scenery. *sigh* I need to move.
    [​IMG]

My first point of business after breakfast is to go to highway 341/Push Mountain to meet up with a good friend of mine, Jack, who runs http://www.pushmountainpics.com . On the way there I’m running through a right hander at a pretty good clip and come out and straighten up and “oh hey, there’s lights on the top of that SUV” whoops. I do the only thing I can think to do and that’s wave to him. I roll slow for a bit after that, as I’m not a runner or anything stupid, he hasn’t turned around so I keep on rolling and make a pass by Jack and come back through and make another pass and come back and stop. Jack is already entertaining a few other riders.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

We chat a bit and talk about roads and whatnot and the others bail out and Jack and myself sit around chatting about various stuff for 30-45 minutes. Again, awesome guy and if you find yourself on 341 and see Jack, definitely stop by and say hi. The following 2 pix are from pushmountainpics.com I must say, awesome shots!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our starting point was Mt. View, the point of the following picture which you can’t actually see the road sign but it says Mt. View 26 miles. I had ridden 110 miles to get to this sign.
    [​IMG]

Moving on I rode through 16 and to 7 to head up into Jasper. The night before I had decided to try sleeping with my ipod in as I’m a light sleeper and snoring/camping noises I wake up easily. Well I tried this rain sound of nature song, it worked ok but I kept getting up to pee because of the drip drip drip of it all. So that didn’t work. I tried the thunderstorm one and it was nice, more mellow on the drip drip and nice rolling thunder, then it goes KABOOM like lightning just struck outside my tent. That wasn’t very mellow. So I had probably 2 to 3 hours sleep the night previously. This being said, I had been going pretty full tilt through the roads I was running previously, after awhile I toned it down a bit and somehow got behind an ST1300 which was setting a good pace and I just followed him for a bit to cool down some.
    I didn’t crowd and kept a good 10 to 15 bike lengths behind him, so as to not really ride “with” him and push but just to ride. Sup ST1300 dude, thanks for letting me chill behind you for awhile. Hope you had a great day. About 10 miles away from 7 there was a long straight and I went ahead and kicked it up a notch again to get to Jasper. I stopped at the Lazy Apple for lunch.

GRAND CANYON!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the others were…
    [​IMG]

I went to Jasper and filled up real quick and it was off to ride 123. As I said before I had only had about 2-3 hours of sleep the night before. I could tell it was wearing on me at roughly 250 miles, I was somewhat daydreaming through corners which is a bad thing. So, grudgingly I turned around after about 5 miles of 74 going to 123 knowing that I wasn’t up to it. 123 is a very technical road, not one to ride when you are not up to par. It’ll be there next time I go back. Now it was time to hump it to the camp site. I was actually planning on coming through Oark via dirt roads to shorten the trip, but I missed the turn, so I ended up running down 21 to 40 and over to 23 and back up to 215 where we were camping. The junction point of 16 and 21 there is Fallsville one stop, which I stopped at to drink a coke and pee. I ask about the pisser and the in store one is broke so…
    [​IMG]

Yes, an outhouse.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday water crossings, today a miles worth of gravel/dirt. No worries, road to the camp site and this time the others were going to get beer and food, all I had to do was setup camp, I got there roughly 2 hours later than the others so was trying to hump it to get it setup before dark. All was well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Camp.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike going to get beer and food.
    [​IMG]

With beer and food having arrive, camp was setup, and it was time to chill. Unfortunately Mike likes fruity beer and brings back a variety of gross stuff. Boulevard Wheat was the only saving grace, all the rest was some fruity weird beer. What this says about Mike, well I dunno but Gary was all for the fruity beer as well. I set up my tent way away from those guys. Oi. I would have been fine with bud light, but the more affluent dual sporters had to have their snooty beer I guess. Well he didn’t mess up too bad as Boulavard Wheat is one of the best beers made. DISASTER AVERTED. We settle in, drink, Gary and I boil hot dogs while Mike and Scott go find a stick that probably has hepatitis C on it from being previously peed on by someone, and stick a hotdog on it and burn it in the fire, so if they get the C we’ll know why.

Reviewing pictures taken from the day.
    [​IMG]

Making sweet love to the tostito chip with bean dip on it.
    [​IMG]

Then we went to sleep.
  3. Silver

Silver Dirtnewb

Oddometer:
    Day 3, Sunday.

I am not a morning person. Although with just regular ear plugs I did sleep really well, so more refreshed than normal. Still kind of rough around the edges though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The night before Gary and I put our riding shirt/underwear on our bikes to hopefully dry out some, this didn’t work out all that well but they were a bit dryer than the day before. Mike and Scott saw our genius decision and decided to dress up their bikes as well.

Mike’s KLR with his underoo’s fart side out.
    [​IMG]

Mine with the shirt and undies on it.
    [​IMG]

Scott’s with the tigger underoos and socks on the mirrors.
    [​IMG]

Yes our bikes were dressed to the 9’s.
    [​IMG]

Mike and Scott were getting a bit later start so Gary and I headed into Turners Bend for breakfast, stopping to take a few pics on the way. Sport bike on dirt, and dirt bike on asphalt.

Dirt!
    [​IMG]

Much better!
    [​IMG]

Dual sport on asphalt!
    [​IMG]

At turners bend they had some various frozen breakfast thingys as they don’t have a stove and don’t cook, but they do make some whoa big and awesome sammichs.
    [​IMG]

A picture of Mike’s new bungee strap almost as tall as he is setup.
    [​IMG]

A video of him getting on it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBlvBnBNYsw

After this we parted ways with the guys going and doing the TAT, and myself running up to Eureka to check out a road I had heard about and get lunch. First stop though was back down 215 to check out some dirt bike event they were having. I got there when the teens were running, and it was really fun to watch from the bridge part. I need a dirt bike!

Coming up the hill.
    [​IMG]

Going down on the other side of the bridge. You’ll see the front of a Kawi just under the branch, we’ll little dude dropped it in the water, but.. kept the thing running got back on it and took off again.
    [​IMG]

Chick on a bike!
    [​IMG]

Ultralight? Awesome.
    [​IMG]

I get to Eureka and find that part of the road I was told about is pea gravel, as it had just been worked on. The second portion of the road I was told about was AWESOME though, so it all works out. Didn’t get any pictures this time of the road but I’ll hopefully be going back soon.
    Catfish cabin for lunch!
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile, our dualsport friends are...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A video of their fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhHA3OyB-Xo

After fish taco’s I found that some of my TSR buddies were doing a eureka loop and were just down the way, I stopped in to say hi. Their route was going back up into MO and going home, I was a bit burnt from the weekend and just wanted a shower, I opted to straight line it home.
    [​IMG]

On the way down 23 to 412, I wasn’t going slow, and I come across the fastest cruiser guy in the world. This whole trip looking in my rear view mirrors, I wasn’t used to seeing anyone there unless I had just passed them. I was held up behind a car, a truck, and a truck pulling a big camper, there was also a guy on a cruiser behind me. We get to a long straight and I romp on it and pass all 3 of the vehicles at one time, the cruiser guy doesn’t make it around them that I can see. After passing them I keep a pretty fast pace, finally about a mile from 412 I get caught up in traffic and check my mirrors and CRUISER GUY IS BACK THERE AGAIN! This guy must have been just rayeling through 23 to keep up. He follows me onto 412 and there are a few cars between us, we get to a passing zone and dude nails it and passes 3 cars to get back in behind me again. I was in awe. So high five cruiser guy, was fun seeing you keep up.

On my trek home I stopped to take a shot of a skydiver. Gary and Mike both are avid skydivers, or were, and I figured it would fit right in with the ride report.
    [​IMG]

I had an AWESOME weekend, and can’t wait to do it again. Next time hopefully I’ll have a dual sport and can get in on the TAT action as well. Pretty sure this picture sums up how we all feel about the weekend.
    [​IMG]

/fin

Now it's time to throw Gary in front of a bus and tell you all that he's going to post the Dual sport portion of the ride report soon.
  4. Strog

Strog Geek on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Nice report, Jason. :D

I've hardly gotten out on a longer rides this season since my daughter was born so I've been following a lot of ride reports. This one didn't disappoint. :1drink
  5. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    Not abad weekend it looked like.:D
  6. fotobo

fotobo KTM rider

Oddometer:
    Looks like you guys had a good time.
  7. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you got to see the roads/scenery I've had to put up with for twenty-some years. It's been tough.
    Jim
  8. eyeonit

eyeonit O.E.G.

Oddometer:
    Love the morning shots of you. crack me up!!! :D

You're like WTF is going on here, to early...???...:huh