1. eNewsletter Sign Up

3 month retirement ride coming up!

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Boondox, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    Glenlivet (golden retriever service dog) and I leave in six weeks. If winter lingers we'll trailer south a couple hundred miles till the snow ends, then point our sidecar rig to the west and begin our meandering adventure. Before suggesting alternate routes understand that one of my primary goals of this ride is to spread the ashes of Barley, my first sidecar dog, in some of his favorite places in our 55,000 miles of shared adventure. It's my way of honoring his courage and loyalty, so other than short side trips this route is firm.

33.jpg

First to Lancaster PA as there is a couple in their 80s who want to meet Glenlivet before they pass away. It's the sort of visit best not delayed. Then we follow US50 to Ohio's Hocking Hills where we'll spend a couple days relaxing and hiking the area. We drop down and cross northern Kentucky into southern Indiana, camp at Garden of the Gods in southern Indiana, then cross the Mississippi and spend a few days in the Ozarks of southern Missouri and NW Arkansas in late April. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

In early May we cross southern Kansas on US160, drop down through the panhandle of Oklahoma, and then across northern New Mexico. Up to Mesa Verde (if conditions allow we'll make a side trip on 550 to Ouray - one of our favorite roads when not full of cars), then to Bluff, Utah where we have a hotel room for three days to serve as a base while exploring the area on day trips: Canyon de Chelly, Canyon of the Ancients, Gooseneck SP and the Moki Dugway, etc.

Two days at an AirBnB in Monument Valley including a local tour. Then up to Moab for four days exploring Arches, Canyonlands, and DeadHorse Point. Back down to Natural Bridges and up to Capitol Reef, one of my favorite national parks. From there we ride 12 south through Grand Staircase/Escalante to Bryce and Kodachrome, two days at Zion, then across the Extraterrestrial Highway to the Sierras the third week in May.

SunrisePup.jpg

With luck Hwy 120 will be open and let us cut through Tuolomne Meadow to the 49ers Rally in Mariposa. Three days there with day trips to Yosemite, then we have two days camping at Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP. The last week of May has us riding from Morro Bay up Big Sur, over the Golden Gate, and camping our way up the northern California and southern Oregon coastline with stops at a few state and national parks. I'm really hoping the perimeter road around Crater Lake will be open by the first week in June, but historically that looks rather iffy. Also hopeful that the scenic passes in the West Cascades between Oakridge and Mt Hood will be open, but again that stretch requires options. We have a week to explore as much of western Oregon as Mother Nature allows.

Back to the coast and up to Astoria for a hotel room with a view of the Columbia River, a hot shower and a warm bed. My young niece and her husband will join us for brunch. She's a rather petite Marine veteran who while on active duty beat the tar out of a pickpocket in Amsterdam. Love that kid! From there we cross the Columbia and hook around the east side of Mt Rainier to a small town to the east of Seattle to visit a friend (and her two dogs) for a few days. Then a ferry ride across the sound, ride along the Strait of Juan de Fuca to the Pacific where we camp near the ocean. Back to Port Townsend via Neah Bay and Hurricane Ridge, two ferries to Lopez Island in the San Juans. Three restful days there then a ferry back to the mainland, two days camping in the North Cascades NP, across Idaho and (snow load permitting) Glacier NP, camping overnight at Two Medicine Lake, then on to the BMW Rally in Great Falls. We're doing a seminar on long distance sidecar adventures with a furry navigator.

After the rally in late June we drop down to Red Lodge to get an early morning start over Beartooth Pass, Chief Joseph Byway, ALT 14 to Burgess Junction, 14 down Shell Canyon, down a bit then over Ten Sleep Canyon on 16 to Buffalo Wyoming. Then Devil's Tower, the Black Hills, Needles Highway (early, before traffic builds) and on to Badlands NP.

At that point I'll sit under the stars with a fine microbrew (from Oregon) and ponder next steps. By that time we would have been gone nearly three months. The heat will be building and hopefully my wife will miss me. If it's time to go home we'll pick up US20 in Nebraska, skirt the chaos of Omaha, then pick up US34 past Peoria, switch to US24 and 224 to Ohio, angle up to Rochester NY and take smaller highways to the Adirondacks, then the last ferry across Lake Champlain and home.

Or I could decide that the Rockies beckon and drop southwest a bit from the Badlands...

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 8.41.05 AM.png
    pratered, severely, Migolito and 5 others like this.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like fun. It must be pretty cool to be able to travel with your best friend.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Jealous!
  4. oneway

oneway Tehachapi CA

Oddometer:
    13C2C275-4E58-455C-8B61-F8D8BCB3E8DA.jpeg That dog is gonna have a good time!
  5. billmaxx97

billmaxx97 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to Following you're trip
  6. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    My first retirement ride starts on May 1 and heads to Deadhorse and Tuk and many other parts and is lasting for up to 4 months. Going to visit some old army buddies I haven't seen is a long while also in Washington state and Idaho on my way back to CT. Will follow your trip as well. Safe travels.

KR
  7. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Last year on the way to Tennessee I reconnected with an old Navy buddy I hadn't seen since 1975! It felt great! This year I hope to visit a Marine I patched up decades ago. Warm memories served with cold beer!

Enjoy your visit.

Pete
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  8. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curious. What kind of bike and sidecar rig do you have? How about a photo?
  9. Boondox

Oddometer:
    The tug is a 2012 R1200GSA. The tub is a modified Hannigan Dual Sport.
    GillyDragonLOW.jpg

Photo above shows the rig in its current configuration; Glenlivet navigating. Photo below shows it before the rebuild with Barley navigating.

BugPowderRiver2.jpg
    pnoman likes this.
  10. apexal

apexal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the rig! Thanks. I'm not much of a dog person but if I had a rig like that I just might have me a canine companion!

So do you camp or find dog friendly hotels?
  11. Boondox

Oddometer:
    Service dog. Can’t do long distance trips without him and he’s become the best riding buddy I’ve ever had! We generally camp or stay with friends once we reach a place we intend to stay at for a bit. During transits we stay in hotels to save the campsite set up and break down times
    CavReconSGT likes this.