3 Step Desert Rendezvous

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by DingWeed, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm out for this thanks to a health issue. Nothing life threatening, just the sort of thing you don't get to ride with.
    Last time was more than a month. I'm hoping I can visit Scott and the surroundings come August. Might even be able to talk a buddy or two into riding along.

You all have fun. Don't drink all the beer in Utah or take all the photos.
  2. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I? Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, since Scott may be out of the internet's ghastly reach, I'll just put it out here that if you are planning on riding on a trail that is designated as for OHV use, you need to have a Utah (sorry, reciprocity only as per the below publication) OHV sticker on your left fork.

However, some law enforcement officers may try to enforce the law when you're on a BLM dirt road.
    Unfortunately, the issue gets confusing and confused by most, even the varying law enforcement entities who may be responsible for the land you ride on.
    Confusion set in when you ask this: Since I have a license plate on my bike, just like a 4x4 truck/jeep, why would I need an OHV sticker and the 4x4 doesn't when we're on the same road? Without getting into another discussion about it, it may be easier to just purchase one (sold at many locations in Moab (even some gas stations) and at bike shops on the Western Slope in Colorado) and know you're supporting the maintenance of the trails.

Just thought I'd bring it up before you're out in the wilds.

[​IMG]
    Magile likes this.
  3. Colorado Uli

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear it. Bad timing.
  4. Blaise W

Blaise W Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry Mr Head! I sure hope there is at least one more big bike rider wanting to do some outback touring.
  5. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Were gonna miss you Mr. Head!!
    Uli: sorry for the time warp on the OHV sticker........Thanks for posting up the rules.
    Please bring your GPS cord so we can load tracks on you unit!!
    Looks like the weather is going to be good!
    Looking forward to seeing everybody soon!!
    Hope everyone has a safe trip out here to 3 Step
    Scott
    Mr Head likes this.
  6. snowmark

snowmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coal Creek Canyon Colorado/Longmont/Youngstown,OH
    getting ready to roll out on thursday, bringing my KLX 400 and an Africa Twin, snowing at my place in Wondervu right now, be nice to leave it, anyone needs to ride out from Denver area gimme a text 3/808-8698,
  7. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done on the video. Loved the music too!

Ride safe,

TaZ9
  8. Podzo's PD

Podzo's PD Long timer

Oddometer:
    All packed and ready to go. Should be in the 30's over Monarch. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Leaving Canon City early Thursday, be at 3 Step by dinner if all goes well.
  9. Colorado Uli

Oddometer:
    Shiryas, Unaweep and myself will not be there until Friday afternoon or evening (depending on how much trouble we can get ourselves into on the ride there from Delta (CO)). I think I have Shiryas talked into dropping off the Uncompahgre Plateau down to the highway via a particularly nasty route. Fresh scratches for the bikes makes for good camp fire stories.

To all: As I'm loading my stuff into someone else's trailer later today to be ferried out there, if you need anything from the big city that you've forgotten and would like me to get for you, let me know within the next few hours and I'll put it on the bus heading to the 3-Steps Hideaway tomorrow.
  10. snowmark

snowmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Coal Creek Canyon Colorado/Longmont/Youngstown,OH
    Grand junction, see you tomorrow, no maybe tonight if I can find my way
    Colorado Uli likes this.
  11. Podzo's PD

Podzo's PD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't thank Scott and Julie enough for putting on such a great event. I am sure we all had a wonderful time. Perfect location for dual sport/adventure riding. Super food morning and evening. Those remote areas are getting harder to find. . . with perfect facilities for the motorcyclist. . .and enough comfort to make the stay before and after riding to make it a special treat.
    DSCN0939.JPG DSCN0944.JPG DSCN0949.JPG
    TaZ9, unaweep, Colorado Uli and 4 others like this.
  12. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    Great times! Great guys and Gals!!! A BIG Thanks to everyone that made this such a Fantastic Ride!!
    Scott and Julie

22F1BA9A-3159-46FF-9F76-556313F83EEB.jpeg E384181D-0B41-4C14-A0BD-76B3DDB82B73.jpeg
    kleinergti1, TaZ9, unaweep and 3 others like this.
  13. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Hate I had to miss that.
    Mr Head likes this.
  14. Colorado Uli

Oddometer:
    No pictures taken, but to all who attended I offer a heartfelt THANK YOU!
    The mood was perfect and that reflects upon all you fools. Yer a bunch of crazy nuts.

And of course I especially appreciate our hosts and their great friends who pitched in to make us all so comfy.

Also, let’s not forget that the proceeds of the weekend are being donated to a great cause by Julie and Scott. We thank you for your sacrifices to further a local cause to benefit all of us.

Uli
    TaZ9 and unaweep like this.
  15. Colorado Uli

Oddometer:
    If someone would please post up when the group on big bikes who headed for Lockhart Basin returns safely, I’d sure appreciate it.
    unaweep likes this.
  16. shiryas

shiryas Dragon with matches

Oddometer:
    Had a great time with a bunch on inmates. Excellent meals, incredible terrain and friendly hosts, thank you all.

Mr Head, TaZ9 and Jimo368 like this.
  17. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    Uli,
    Big bikes all returned from Lockhart with Big smiles!!!
    Scott
    Mr Head likes this.
  18. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    Ridefreak,
    We missed you too!
    Hope to see you sometime this season!!
    Ride safe
    Scott
  19. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    11F29914-AA38-432D-ADBA-B538F8B20079.jpeg FECBED31-7C7A-434E-96F4-D74B0F86239E.jpeg A couple more pics:
    kennyh, Mr Head and TaZ9 like this.
  20. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DSCN7766.JPG DSCN7775.JPG DSCN7776 (2).JPG DSCN7782 (2).JPG Wow, what a great event. Everything was near perfect for the entire 5 days, other than the occasional face full of blown sand and gravel.
    I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and riding with everyone. Lots of great folks from different areas of the country, with various bikes and backgrounds, but all sharing a great love for riding motorcycles in the awesome beauty of Utah.

Also lots of great food, thanks to Julie, and friends helping out in the kitchen. Oh, and Scott did grill up some awesome chow!! Waahooo!

Lots of great riding, awesome trails, and ...errr, slightly over exaggerated tales around the campfire from everyone, making the evenings perfect. And if that weren't enough, we had the standup antics of Tragic Overlander and Colorado Uli to keep us all laughing.

I carried several cameras, a cheap helmet cam, and took lots of photos that I am currently sorting through. I will be posting many over the next few days, (not in any particular order). And by the way Davy (TO), I promise I won't post that little incident in the deep sand as long as you deliver the agreed upon amount.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and am already looking forward to next years event!

If any of you have the contact info of some of the attendees that are not familiar with ADVrider, you might want to steer them to this site.

Ride safe,

Taz9
    Mr Head, Jimo368, LC1 and 1 other person like this.